Need help deciding for a GTX980Ti

RockiLocky
Go to solution Solved by SeanAngelo,

Hey guys,

so I am looking towards getting 2 new GPU's meaning I would like to SLI 2 GTX 980Ti's. Now here comes my question:

Because there are sooooo many diffrent varients of the GTX 980TI out there I do not know which once to look at.

Space wise I should have the space in my case for all of them in a SLI configuration. Case is: Phanteks Enthoo Primo.

Hope you guys can help me out, also would a 1000W PSu from EVEGA, more specific the EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W be enough for SLI configuration so it doesnt botleneck them. I have a i7-5930k CPU which has a power consumption of about 340 iwht the OC and under load, which would mean the GPU's cannot have more then 660W meaning 330W per GPU. And I saw some of them get a power comsumption up to 480 if overclocked and under load.

Another Question what I would have is how hot should the GPU run max? If I am right one of the GPU's gets alot hotter in a SLI configuration because space limitation between them.

Nice Greets RockiLocky

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW ACX 2.0

1000W is plenty.

Hey guys,

so I am looking towards getting 2 new GPU's meaning I would like to SLI 2 GTX 980Ti's. Now here comes my question:

Because there are sooooo many diffrent varients of the GTX 980TI out there I do not know which once to look at.

Space wise I should have the space in my case for all of them in a SLI configuration. Case is: Phanteks Enthoo Primo.

Hope you guys can help me out, also would a 1000W PSu from EVEGA, more specific the EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W be enough for SLI configuration so it doesnt botleneck them. I have a i7-5930k CPU which has a power consumption of about 340 iwht the OC and under load, which would mean the GPU's cannot have more then 660W meaning 330W per GPU. And I saw some of them get a power comsumption up to 480 if overclocked and under load.

Another Question what I would have is how hot should the GPU run max? If I am right one of the GPU's gets alot hotter in a SLI configuration because space limitation between them.

Nice Greets RockiLocky

Well what do you want to do with the GPUs? What's the price range?

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

That PSU is plenty :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hey guys,

Nice Greets RockiLocky

You can either go with a reference GTX980Ti design, if you wanted the heat of 2 GPUs outside the case, but since your case is spacey enough I´d go with an EVGA GTX980Ti FTW card. They OC decend and EVGA is the best board partner for nVidia.

And to answer your question card #2 in SLI will get hotter by using a board partner design because card #1 will blow the warm air on the card. But you should have enough space between the cards (that only becomes an issue usually for 3way or 4way options and therefore custom watercooling or reference cooler) so it won´t be a problem at all.

Your PSU is good and sufficient.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Hey guys,

Nice Greets RockiLocky

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW ACX 2.0

1000W is plenty.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Well the colour factor is always key, would just grab the reasonably performing GPU accordingly.

I have a i7-5930k CPU which has a power consumption of about 340 iwht the OC and under load, which would mean the GPU's cannot have more then 660W meaning 330W per GPU. And I saw some of them get a power comsumption up to 480 if overclocked and under load.

Where you have seen that nonsense?  :huh:

Might be total power useage? idk 

Well what do you want to do with the GPUs? What's the price range?

700$ max

I just googled i7-5930k power consumption D: and I googled power consumption 980Ti and there was a link saying 480W under load and OC xD was not sure if I should trust it though but I added it anyway

700$ max

I just googled i7-5930k power consumption D: and I googled power consumption 980Ti and there was a link saying 480W under load and OC xD was not sure if I should trust it though but I added it anyway

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/4

Have a look at this video:

Well I would recommend the EVGA 980 Ti SC+ w/ ACX cooler for plain reliability, the Zotac 980 Ti AMP for the value (usually goes for cheaper than the others), Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming for some good overclocking.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Well I would recommend the EVGA 980 Ti SC+ w/ ACX cooler for plain reliability, the Zotac 980 Ti AMP for the value (usually goes for cheaper than the others), Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming for some good overclocking.

What do you think about the Zotac AMP Extreme?