GTX 970 cant do 1080p?

TheCarGuy94
Go to solution Solved by TheCarGuy94,

So i great start to the new year i guess. My computer done 278 windows updates last night, woke up this morning and all my problems have gone as if by magic..

have absolutely no idea what fixed it. im guessing some driver conflict or something. 

Hi, ive recently just built myself a new rig, i got myself a KF2a GTX 970. The problem is when i attempt to play games, take GTA5 for example, i started it up the adjusted the setting and as i changed the setting from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 the screen went black and reverted back to 1024x768. ive tried a few games and they are all the same except one, Rainbow siege, i can play that maxed out at 1080.

any help

thanks!

Intel i5-6600k @4.6    Gigabyte GA-z170mx     KF2A GTX970     Samsung 120gb ssd     Corsair RM650x     Corsair Air240     Avexir 8gb DDR4

What other games does it occur on? The 970 is definitely capable of outputting at 1080p in games as you have realized with Rainbow Siege.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What monitor are you using?

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

I've had issues like that with GTA V, not sure how I fixed it though.

How many games have you had this issue with?

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Ok do this.. Look for DDU on Google, download it (display driver Uninstaller) launch it.. Do the recommended option and then download the NVIdIA drivers.

Try it again.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Im using a Asus VN279H 27. ive played Siege, dirt, gta5 amnesia and done a benchmark on Firestrike.

Just dont the DDU and tried again done the same :/. i tried amnesia, i was able to put all the settings maxed at 1080, worked fine in the menus, messing about for a bit then as soon as i hit start game, black screen and had to CTRL ALT DEL out.

(the benchmark on firestrike ran perfect with no problems)

Intel i5-6600k @4.6    Gigabyte GA-z170mx     KF2A GTX970     Samsung 120gb ssd     Corsair RM650x     Corsair Air240     Avexir 8gb DDR4

i just un-installed all the graphics drivers and got the latest ones from Nvidia. 

Did/do you use CCleaner? (Or any similar software)

Does the 970 make a weird sound like the one in this one: 

Did you try calling the manufacturer for support?

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

ive never used anything like this, should i? always thought these things were a big no no. i usually have my side on but i checked and it doesnt make this noise.

i tried Metro 2033, ran that on 1080 flat out with absolutely no problems, yet i cant run a game like amnesia..

i havent yet, ill give them a call tomorrow

What other games does it occur on? The 970 is definitely capable of outputting at 1080p in games as you have realized with Rainbow Siege.

Indeed. I can almost max GTA V at 1080p with my 970, he shouldn't be struggling with it.

---

I'll pose another question. What are your system specifications? Just so that we can narrow it down and disregard the possibility of a bottleneck in the system. I mean, whenever my old GPU was never able to cope, it wouldn't crash; the game would just stutter like crazy. Perhaps therein lies the problem.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

my specs are:

i5-6600k

the 970

GA-z170g5

8gb ram

120gb ssd

1tb hhd

and if it makes any difference its being cooled by a h105

I ran dirt benchmark changing every setting, managed to max every setting on 1080 until i hit 8xQ CSAA multi sampling, the entire game crashed when i apply the changes. any ideas what this means? 

(i could be horribly wrong here but is multi sampling memory related?)

Also just Done Firestrike while the side was off and it make a horrible whine, only when under load though, it goes away when at desktop

Also just Done Firestrike while the side was off and it make a horrible whine, only when under load though, it goes away when at desktop

That's fairly common with certain cards. It's annoying, but not likely to cause damage.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Odd issue.

Have you tried using GeForce Experience's settings optimizer? It includes resolution. Might be able to do it for you.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I did try this but the only game i Experience are the games that run fine..lol

ive never used anything like this, should i? always thought these things were a big no no. i usually have my side on but i checked and it doesnt make this noise.

i tried Metro 2033, ran that on 1080 flat out with absolutely no problems, yet i cant run a game like amnesia..

i havent yet, ill give them a call tomorrow

NO, I was making sure you hadn't used anything like CCleaner as that can be a common cause of problems.

let us know how the call goes. Obviously be prepared to RMA it if it does turn out to be that the card is bad.

So i great start to the new year i guess. My computer done 278 windows updates last night, woke up this morning and all my problems have gone as if by magic..

have absolutely no idea what fixed it. im guessing some driver conflict or something.