Want to play at 144hz (including PC build)

Hi guys
So i want to run my games at 144 fps because i just bought a screen that can take 144hz, but before i receive it i would like to know if my system can run it.
My CPU is i5-4590. GPU is gefore gtx 970. 12 GB of RAM. Motherboard is MSI Z97 gaming 5. I have a 250 gb sdd and 2 tb hdd. 
Should i upgrade my CPU or something else or should my PC run 144 fps just fine?

post-298202-0-89617900-1451499792.jpg

Depends on the game. In demanding games, nope. In games like CS:GO, easily.

So what should should i upgrade if i had to upgrade one thing?

So what should should i upgrade if i had to upgrade one thing?

Uh....... you could go 980ti SLI for max settings

Or just not put everything on ultra.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

if it is a 1080p monitor get a 980ti then. if it is a 1440p then you probably need 2 980ti. i am saying is max settings and 144hz for most games those triple a titles.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

if it is a 1080p monitor get a 980ti then. if it is a 1440p then you probably need 2 980ti. i am saying is max settings and 144hz for most games those triple a titles.

You wouldnt recomend buy a better CPU over GPU?

Your CPU is good, any CPU upgrade wouldn't get you anywhere the kind of performance boost a new GPU would I think.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Your CPU is good, any CPU upgrade wouldn't get you anywhere the kind of performance boost a new GPU would I think.

If you want to hit 144hz in demanding games, the limiting factor is the CPU. You can always turn graphics settings down, but you can't lower the load on the CPU below a certain point. However, even an i7-6700k with a balls to the wall overclock wont hit 144 fps in poorly coded games. Current architecture just doesn't have the single-threaded performance to push these games to 144hz.

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE. An I5-4590 WILL NOT BOTTLENECK an SLI configuration. If the OP wants to play games at 144Hz (presuming its 1080p) he can just BUY A SECOND GTX 970. THERE IS NO NEED FOR 2-WAY 980TI WHEN PLAYING AT 144HZ 1080P. IT IS SIMPLY OVERKILL AND STUPID. If he is playing at 1440p, then 2x980Ti is slightly more understandable, but even then hitting that target is really hard in AAA games with high/ultra settings. 

Sorry for my caps, but my rant was necessary. If he got a fx8350 or similarly old CPU then a bottleneck WILL HAPPEN. Getting a 1 year old CPU WILL NOT BOTTLENECK.

Please remember that the good fps comes from the GPU's performance not the CPU (not counting bottleneck, ceteris paribus),

If you want to hit 144hz in demanding games, the limiting factor is the CPU. You can always turn graphics settings down, but you can't lower the load on the CPU below a certain point. However, even an i7-6700k with a balls to the wall overclock wont hit 144 fps in poorly coded games. Current architecture just doesn't have the single-threaded performance to push these games to 144hz.

so this is simply stupid that you have to upgrade 1 gen ahead. Just remember that hitting 144Hz on 1440p is a stupid target. On 1080p 2x970 will come very close to reaching it, but 2x980ti is stupid overkill.

There are many, many, many builds that you can find online with people using a 4590 and SLI 970/980/etc. and not having a CPU bottleneck, so please, know your stuff before you mislead.

P.S. just remember that some games do not support SLI or have very very poor scaling (if only all could have SLI scaling/optimisation like Tomb Raider). So you might want to look at a single, more powerful card like a 980ti, depending on the games you play, but it WON'T saturate 144Hz at 1080p on demanding titles with settings cranked up.

There are many, many, many builds that you can find online with people using a 4590 and SLI 970/980/etc. and not having a CPU bottleneck, so please, know your stuff before you mislead.

P.S. just remember that some games do not support SLI or have very very poor scaling (if only all could have SLI scaling/optimisation like Tomb Raider). So you might want to look at a single, more powerful card like a 980ti, depending on the games you play, but it WON'T saturate 144Hz at 1080p on demanding titles with settings cranked up.

That's based on 60hz. Going from 60 to 144 increased the demands on the GPU and CPU in the same linear fashion. You can't just throw more GPU horsepower alone at it. Going to a higher resolution simply increases the demands on the GPU alone. Going to a higher refresh rate increases the demands on both.