Glitches

Rhett Quigley

Ever since I overclocked my gpu yesterday I have seen occasional glitches when doing doing things on my computer, its an r9 390 that I minorly overclocked to 1040 mhz (from 1015 mhz), I only touched the core clock.

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

Remove the OC?

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Stock.

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

What is your voltage? What are your temps? I'm assuming that it is aircooled.

Try removing the OC and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't then it means the OC wasn't completely stable.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

What is your voltage? What are your temps? I'm assuming that it is aircooled.

Try removing the OC and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't then it means the OC wasn't completely stable.

In MSI Afterburner its set to the default, no power limit increase either. I'll keep using it and see what happens, temps and such.

Set the power to max in the limit. Should clear it up. If not then you may have lost the lottery.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Set the power to max in the limit. Should clear it up. If not then you may have lost the lottery.

I have heard someone say that degrades performance, is that true?

No, as long as you use afterburner it's very difficult to hurt a GPU. I max out the voltage and voltage limit. Sounds like a lot but it's actually not that much. Of course the fine print is right that overclocking does place more stress on the GPU but I overclock all the thingz as that is free performance and by the time there are any consequences I will have moved on.

No, as long as you use afterburner it's very difficult to hurt a GPU. I max out the voltage and voltage limit. Sounds like a lot but it's actually not that much. Of course the fine print is right that overclocking does place more stress on the GPU but I overclock all the thingz as that is free performance and by the time there are any consequences I will have moved on.

If such an increase in voltage does harm the GPU, how long will it take, because I did that and 3 days later mine broke. I definitely do not want that to happen again.

The manufacturer and MSI with Afterburner make it very difficult to harm your GPU. My guess would be that the overclock had nothing or little to do with your failure. Just a coincidence.

If you think you're going to use that GPU for the next five years, keep to a mild overclock if that helps you feel more secure. Most of us upgrade every 3 years or so.

The manufacturer and MSI with Afterburner make it very difficult to harm your GPU. My guess would be that the overclock had nothing or little to do with your failure. Just a coincidence.

If you think you're going to use that GPU for the next five years, keep to a mild overclock if that helps you feel more secure. Most of us upgrade every 3 years or so.

Msi Afterburner will like automatically turn things down or something when a problem arises?

Edit: 100th post!

No, but the voltage is adaptive so it will only draw what it needs, to an extent. Your temperature will tell you if you're safe. Stay below 80c and you have to work at it to hurt your card.

No, but the voltage is adaptive so it will only draw what it needs, to an extent. Your temperature will tell you if you're safe. Stay below 80c and you have to work at it to hurt your card.

Ok, so I can max out the voltage slider and be safe???????????

Ok, so I can max out the voltage slider and be safe???????????

Yes, you can max out the Core Voltage and Power Limit. Won't hurt anything. DO NOT DISABLE ULPS THOUGH DOING THAT

Here is how your settings should look to stay "safe".

msi%20example_zpsywjydgtj.jpg

Yes, you can max out the Core Voltage and Power Limit. Won't hurt anything. DO NOT DISABLE ULPS THOUGH DOING THAT

Here is how your settings should look to stay "safe".

msi%20example_zpsywjydgtj.jpg

I overclocked it to 1070 mhz so far and in heaven benchmark I got 57.9 fps with a min of 26.7 and a max of 116, fans at 59% hovering around 75 degrees.

That's good. Most will go into the 1100's. Don't forget the memory as that will impact your fps as well. A conservative overclock is 50mhz on the memory.

That's good. Most will go into the 1100's. Don't forget the memory as that will impact your fps as well. A conservative overclock is 50mhz on the memory.

Oh, I thought you said to disable ULPS so I did, but I then enabled it again. I have not touched the voltage yet. I did it the alternate way by going to regedit and searching for enableulps and changing the # from 1 to 0, but I went back to 1.

Leave ULPS enabled.

I've found you can achieve overclocks near and over 1100mhz with stock voltage but the stability sucks. And the worse the game is optimized the worse the card will perform when Overclocked in my experience so the more important the stability is.

Leave ULPS enabled.

I've found you can achieve overclocks near and over 1100mhz with stock voltage but the stability sucks. And the worse the game is optimized the worse the card will perform when Overclocked in my experience so the more important the stability is.

I now have the core clock at 1100 at the memory at 1600. Should I increase the voltage in increments?

I now have the core clock at 1100 at the memory at 1600. Should I increase the voltage in increments?

At least max the limit. The core voltage you can increase in increments if you'd like but I max that as well.

At least max the limit. The core voltage you can increase in increments if you'd like but I max that as well.

So all out from 0 to 100 at once?

So all out from 0 to 100 at once?

Both only move the voltage to a level within what many would consider safe to run 24/7. It's when you go beyond what Afterburner allows and reach temperatures close to 90c that the GPU can be at risk.

Both only move the voltage to a level within what many would consider safe to run 24/7. It's when you go beyond what Afterburner allows and reach temperatures close to 90c that the GPU can be at risk.

If i increase it to the limit MSI allows its okay? And I watched the core clock while running heaven and it changes (isn't that throttling?) but the temps are normal.