My $800 Plan. Advice, Suggestions and Tips Wanted.

Hello LTT Community!

My name is Letin and I want to build a PC.

I do have a plan on what this PC should do.

So feel free to ask me questions, suggestions, advice and tips.

Quick note before I continue: I did a similar post on buildmeapc subreddit. Check it out here: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/comments/3yqqs5/my_800_wo_os_pc_build/

1. Budget and Location

I live in the US and I plan on the PC to be $800.

I also would prefer getting my parts from one source (Preferably Newegg).

UPDATED PC PartPicker link 12/30/2015 2:13PM EST:

2. Aim

This build revolves on the mini-ITX platform.

This PC should be able to gaming at 1080p 60fps at high to max settings.

That being said, it should be handle a lot of emulators like DeSmuME, Dolphin Emulator, Snes9x and such.

I MIGHT bring this around for LAN parties for college.

It should have Home Theatre capabilities.

I currently do some AutoCAD and Mathematica but I do plan on actually video edit in the future.

I also code! Should be able handle Java, C++, and Python.  

Live streaming is a maybe.

Should handle a lot (<20) of applications open (I think this is called multi-tasking?).

I think I have no plans to overclock.

3. Monitors

I currently (believe to be 720p) to a 19" HDTV.

I use it for other things like other consoles and a Chromecast.

However, if you have or find a good budget option for a 1080p HD monitor, mention it. 

4. Peripherals

I have a decent keyboard and mouse.

However, if you suggest a good headset with a good microphone option that can fit it the budget, please mention it.

I will using Windows 10 as my primary OS (which will not be included in the budget)

I plan on the PC to have Linux as a secondary OS on there as well.

5. Why am I upgrading?

I am writing this on a HP Pavilion x360 (i5-4210u 1.70GHz with Beats audio) Laptop that I got on sale from Costco.

Early on I wanted to get into PC gaming, but little me didn't know in order to play games at good frame rates, you need a GPU.

Intel HD Graphics just doesn't cut it and puts heavy strain on the CPU while multi-tasking. 

6. Other Things

(Note: I took what I put in my post in buildmeapc and put it here)

The build will revolve around the new SilverStone RVZ02 case.

For stuff like noise, reasonable. I do want to hear the system when it's on, but not to sound like a jet engine. 

I don't really see a huge price benefit for having an SSD.

The following are choices that are 80% locked into place (unless convinced otherwise and fits in the budget):

~SilverStone 450w SFX or 500w SFX-L power supply (depending on the GPU choice)

~Mini-ITX board must pick up 2.4/5GHz wifi

~I prefer 16gb Memory, but I can kinda work with 8gb

~Ability to put two more 2.5" drives or one 2.5" and 3.5" drive.

~Slim optical drive is optional

~CPU cooler is optional

In the PCPartpicker link I have a EVGA GTX 960 4GB SC M-ITX version, so if I wanted, I could put in one 3.5" drive.

For that reason be mindful for GPU choices with lengths under 20cm and full size GPUs.

Thank you and Cheers.

-Letin

tl;dr:

Help me build a $800 gaming/workstation/htpc PC w/o OS using the SilverStone RVZ02 Case. 

-long ass post snip-

Frankly, add an SSD to your build.

I'm guessing you've never used one, because people that have never used one are the ONLY people who ever say, and I quote:

"I don't really see a huge price benefit for having an SSD."

An SSD will make literally everything about your PC feel snappier and faster. Opening a window will feel instant. Navigating to different folders on the drive will feel instant. It's hard to explain, but an SSD is probably the single most worthwhile upgrade in any system that only uses a HDD.

Otherwise your build looks decent to start. I added in a 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD.

Here's my twist on your build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($183.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.49 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.49 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card  ($199.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $772.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 10:42 EST-0500

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have a really nice build for you, under $700, but my PCPP is being really slow...

Otherwise your build looks decent to start. I added in a 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD.

I should have probably mentioned that i was not able to add the case to the PC Part picker link.

It seems that the case doesn't really exist in their database yet since it is a new case.

Time to update and edit!

I should have probably mentioned that i was not able to add the case to the PC Part picker link.

It seems that the case doesn't really exist in their database yet since it is a new case.

Time to update and edit!

I'd make you a build, but it's taking my PCPP literally 5 minutes per page...

I'd make you a build, but it's taking my PCPP literally 5 minutes per page...

It's alright take your time dude.

I'm guessing you've never used one, because people that have never used one are the ONLY people who ever say, and I quote:

An SSD will make literally everything about your PC feel snappier and faster. Opening a window will feel instant. Navigating to different folders on the drive will feel instant. It's hard to explain, but an SSD is probably the single most worthwhile upgrade in any system that only uses a HDD.

You are right on me never using an SSD. But the price per GB these days isn't enough to win me over. If price wasn't an option, I would get a 1tb ssd.

It's alright take your time dude.

You are right on me never using an SSD. But the price per GB these days isn't enough to win me over. If price wasn't an option, I would get a 1tb ssd.

Finally, it sped up. I got you man.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX/WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card  ($214.98 @ OutletPC) 
Other: SilverStone RVZ02 ($79.99)
Total: $849.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 10:54 EST-0500

I'd STRONGLY recommend trying out an SSD, but if you want to save the money then that's on you. Ever since I started using a SSD, I never want to look back! This build will be aprox. 790 without the SSD.

Finally, it sped up. I got you man.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX/WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card  ($214.98 @ OutletPC) 
Other: SilverStone RVZ02 ($79.99)
Total: $849.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 10:54 EST-0500

I'd STRONGLY recommend trying out an SSD, but if you want to save the money then that's on you. Ever since I started using a SSD, I never want to look back! This build will be aprox. 790 without the SSD.

Looking at your build this looks alright, although thinking over the GPU chamber design choice, the placement of a 3.5" drive limits the GPU to be 20cm. I am afraid of the 3.5 drive suffering some vibration from being moderately that close to the GPU. Nice choices though.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($183.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.49 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.49 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card  ($199.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 10:42 EST-0500

Do you have any other advise to give me dalekphalm? 

Do you have any other advise to give me dalekphalm? 

My main advice is that the SSD is worth it. You don't need a big one either (I picked a 250GB one because it was a decent price, but you can go smaller). All you need the SSD to do is:

1. House the OS

2. Install your programs

And that's pretty much it. ALL your documents, pictures, videos, music, and random files, downloads, etc, would go on the 1TB HDD you already picked out.

Also, all your games should be installed onto the HDD too (save maybe one or two of your most played ones, if there's enough room left on the SSD). Most games will see zero FPS boost by being moved to an SSD. You would see faster loading times, of course, and games that seamlessly load stuff in the background may see a small performance boost, but the rule of thumb is an SSD will not help your games.

But, literally everything else about your computer will be faster with an SSD - the experience is like Night and Day.

Another thing, if you don't plan on overclocking, then no need to get an aftermarket cooler. I would stick with the stock cooler, and then if you find your temps too high, you can always buy an aftermarket CPU cooler later.

One final thought, on the GPU - are you set on buying an NVIDIA GPU? Because for ~$200 USD (Give or take $20), you can often find AMD R9 380 4GB GPU's, which will blow away the 960 in gaming. It's at least worth checking out to see if you can find a 380 4GB in stock at a similar price.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Looking at your build this looks alright, although thinking over the GPU chamber design choice, the placement of a 3.5" drive limits the GPU to be 20cm. I am afraid of the 3.5 drive suffering some vibration from being moderately that close to the GPU. Nice choices though.

I'd say if you're worried that much about the drive, get an external. A 1TB External is pocket change these days.

@Letin Follow  your own topics, also when replying to others make sure to "quote" them or @ (their name) so they get a notification.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $796.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 12:19 EST-0500

And here is an alternate option, it requires less power and has a smaller gpu, so it might be easier for cable management. It's going to be less powerful than the 380 (not by much), but it will still get the job done.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $805.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 12:24 EST-0500

I probably coulda done better on the price, but you said all from Newegg, so i did that instead.

If I had the option of using whatever vendors I wanted, I would go with this.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $799.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 12:32 EST-0500

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

I changed my mind, get this. Hyper Threaded CPU will work much better.

I had to sacrifice 8GB of ram, and drop the Samsung SSD for a cheaper one, but the CPU will be worth it.

You'll have to buy from multiple vendors as well... but honestly it's just the best way to keep the price down.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($232.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS1211 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $803.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 13:15 EST-0500

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

@vSyNd1c4t3 I have some questions of your choices. Why the Xeon? I know, that it's essentially a i7 at the price of an i5.

Also I'm having trouble decideing over a GPU. It was the EVGA GTX 960 4gb SC mITX version OR (insert x brand) R9 380 4gb.

Reason I chose the mITX version of the 960 (4gb) is so that I could potentially put a 3.5" WD Blue in there.

If I chose the R9 380 (4gb), I would have to go with a 2.5" hdd due to the length of the card.

Which brings up another question: Is a 2.5" 7200 rpm HDD not a good idea?

@Moondrelor @dalekphalm

@vSyNd1c4t3 I have some questions of your choices. Why the Xeon? I know, that it's essentially a i7 at the price of an i5.

Also I'm having trouble decideing over a GPU. It was the EVGA GTX 960 4gb SC mITX version OR (insert x brand) R9 380 4gb.

Reason I chose the mITX version of the 960 (4gb) is so that I could potentially put a 3.5" WD Blue in there.

If I chose the R9 380 (4gb), I would have to go with a 2.5" hdd due to the length of the card.

Which brings up another question: Is a 2.5" 7200 rpm HDD not a good idea?

@Moondrelor @dalekphalm

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, but I'd say you'd probably be better off with a external drive, they are very portable as well... So it's not much extra hassle. 

Alright, I have managed to managed to get the price around $740 but will DDR3 2133 ram work on a motherboard that supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered ram?

Also this allows me to squeeze in an 120gb SSD. Any good suggestions?

@Moondrelor @vSyNd1c4t3 @dalekphalm

Fixed the PCpartpicker link but it uses the base price instead of the actual.

Alright, I have managed to managed to get the price around $740 but will DDR3 2133 ram work on a motherboard that supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered ram?

Also this allows me to squeeze in an 120gb SSD. Any good suggestions?

@Moondrelor @vSyNd1c4t3 @dalekphalm

Sandisk SSD PLUS is a good 120GB ssd.

Sandisk SSD PLUS is a good 120GB ssd.

@Moondrelor Okay, what about the Kingston SSDNow V300 120gb or ADATA Premier/Premier Pro 120gb?

@Moondrelor Okay, what about the Kingston SSDNow V300 120gb or ADATA Premier/Premier Pro 120gb?

The Adata Premier Pro 128GB is a good choice as well.

Kingston SSDNow, some people like it, but I've never used it or trusted it.

I strongly recommend that Adata Premier Pro 128GB or the Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB, that's what I have in my system.

Fixed the PCpartpicker link but it uses the base price instead of the actual.

@Moondrelor Do you know the answer to my question for ram?

Which motherboard are you using?

@Moondrelor The ASRock H97M-ITX/ac motherboard that supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered. The memory I'm using is Gskill ares ddr3 2133 

@Moondrelor The ASRock H97M-ITX/ac motherboard that supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered. The memory I'm using is Gskill ares ddr3 2133 

I'd play it safe and go with DDR3-1600, I don't think it supports 2133.

The list is this as of now:  

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card  ($214.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $782.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 03:12 EST-0500

This seems alright but due to the choice of ram, if I decide to buy an slim aftercooler, there might be some ram clearances.

@Moondrelor @vSyNd1c4t3 @dalekphalm

The list is this as of now:  

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card  ($214.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($75.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $782.87

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 03:12 EST-0500

This seems alright but due to the choice of ram, if I decide to buy an slim aftercooler, there might be some ram clearances.

@Moondrelor @vSyNd1c4t3 @dalekphalm

I'd go with Kingston ram... Since it's lower profile, and get a Gemini M4 cooler. They are very nice and quiet.