I crossfire 270Xs and my performance decreased

SneakyBeakyLike

A couple days ago I picked up another R9 270X to put in my system, which already had a single R9 270X in it. Software shows that I do have both cards installed and that the one with my monitor plugged into it is the "master", with the other one being the "slave".

The problem is that since I installed the second card, my gaming performance has literally worsened. In BF4 for example, I went from getting a constant 50-60fps at a mix of high/ultra settings to experiencing fairly frequent drops to the 30s and 40s. It's pretty clear that nothing has improved since installing the second card. I know that both GPUs are being used while I am running a game because MSI Afterburner reports that the usage % and temperature of both cards goes up.

I have also tried messing with the crossfire settings in catalyst control center, switching between AFR friendly, 1x1 optimal, and default crossfire modes. These didn't seem to do anything.

I did not update any video drivers after installing the second card, but that is my next step in troubleshooting. What else could be going on here? Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: I know I'm not getting any thermal throttling because one card runs at about 65 and the other at about 80 under load.

Give us the rest of your specs. I'm mainly interested in the power supply and the motherboard.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

full spec list?

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

this is why it is recommended to buy a single more powerful GPU over two less powerful ones

i suggest you sell both of those cards and buy a single 390 or something like that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Give us the rest of your specs. I'm mainly interested in the power supply and the motherboard.

Could be a CPU bottleneck what are the rest of your specs?

i5-4570

Asrock Z97 Pro4

Corsair cx600m PSU (600W)

I know the PSU might be cutting it a bit close, but it should be fine, especially since I'm not overclocking the GPUs.

I should add that the system performed perfectly in Unigine Heaven, scoring about 2000 (almost exactly 2x what I scored with just one R9 270X). Also, if I were drawing too much power would the system not just shut off rather than throttle the GPUs?

i5-4570

Asrock Z97 Pro4

Corsair cx600m PSU (600W)

I know the PSU might be cutting it a bit close, but it should be fine, especially since I'm not overclocking the GPUs.

I should add that the system performed perfectly in Unigine Heaven, scoring about 2000 (almost exactly 2x what I scored with just one R9 270X). Also, if I were drawing too much power would the system not just shut off rather than throttle the GPUs?

That PSU is not fit for doing crossfire, it's not the wattage, it's the quality of it that's bad so it might be a reason behind the issues.

Unigine heaven doesn't stress the CPU, maybe if it's BF4 and the CPU is starting to draw power as well the PSU becomes not enough (when it gets hotter it drastically loses max wattage it can draw, from 600W to even below) 400W for example

I'm not saying that's the reason of your issues, but you definitely should consider getting another PSU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That PSU is not fit for doing crossfire, it's not the wattage, it's the quality of it that's bad so it might be a reason behind the issues.

So even something like a cx750m would still be insufficient just because it's a cx model?

Also, I thought that drawing too much power would make my PC shut off entirely. Are you saying that the PSU can also just throttle the system to keep power draw down?

So even something like a cx750m would still be insufficient just because it's a cx model?

Also, I thought that drawing too much power would make my PC shut off entirely. Are you saying that the PSU can also just throttle the system to keep power draw down?

CX series it tbh one of the worst power supplies you could get.

Look into a EVGA G2 series or Seasonic.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

It can throttle, CX750M is a little better afaik cause it's a bit different, but it's not a good choice.

Grab this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr for 44$ after 35$ mail-in-rebate and be happy with a quality power supply that can handle two GTX 970's in SLI for instance.

It can throttle, CX750M is a little better afaik cause it's a bit different, but it's not a good choice.

Grab this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr for 44$ after 35$ mail-in-rebate and be happy with a quality power supply that can handle two GTX 970's in SLI for instance.

Ok I will just do that then. Thanks for the advice.