Computer randomly shuts off when playing games

FatalR

Hi, I've never had to deal with troubleshooting problems on my computers so I had no idea how to approach this problem. 

What happens is, I play the following games on my computer : Assasin's Creed Syndicate, GTA V, and Black Ops 3

When I play Black Ops 3, it'll randomly shut off in a couple hours of gameplay; GTA V shuts off in less than an hour; Assassin's Creed shuts off a little earlier than Black Ops 3.

I run all of the games on the highest quality possible. Don't know if the information I'll provide is enough or not, but here goes:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

The times it doesn't completely shut down the computer, it freezes the game along with the whole computer. You have to restart it to make it work again. It happened today when I made all the settings on GTA to normal. Had over 4800MB free in the video memory but it still crashed. 

Please help me figure this out :)

Have you ever checked the temps while gaming?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.3GHZ COOLER: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2  MOBO: Asus Z97-E RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB GPU: Soon to be EVGA 1070! Case: Fractal Define S Storage:PNY 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair RM650x

what are your temps?

Only time I saw it was 53 Celsius so I don't think that's the problem

Try booting into safe mode in windows. Then run a stress test with a program like asus realbench. If your computer crashes we know it is a hardware problem and not a software problem.

I'll try this and reply back, thank you

First thing I would do is check your voltages (HWmonitor is an idea program). See if things are getting too hot.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Temps as well as your wall power. If the wall power in your house is really bad, it may short your pc out if you are not using a surge protector.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

Either your GPU or CPU is overheating, or your Power Supply is faulty and unable to deliver the power requirements needed for your system. (It can also be a manufacture error on the motherboard that execute the over heating protection system)

(I assume a system is not overclocked, BIOS/UEFI has been updated, all power connectors are plugged in on your motherboard and graphics card and everything is plugged in properly)

Only time I saw it was 53 Celsius so I don't think that's the problem

there are temps for CPU, GPU. get something like MSI afterburner and check while playing games.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I'll try this and reply back, thank you

I just did the stress test for 15 minutes and it passed

I'll try using MSI afterburner and check for temperatures now

Temps as well as your wall power. If the wall power in your house is really bad, it may short your pc out if you are not using a surge protector.

How do I find out my wall power? D:

How do I find out my wall power? D:

If you have a voltage tester it would could find it but not many people have them lying around and they are kinda expensive.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

If you have a voltage tester it would could find it but not many people have them lying around and they are kinda expensive.

Yeah don't have one :/

Highest the GPU went to: 63 C

Highest the CPU went to: 92 C

Well, there's our answer. Your CPU is overheating and most likely shutting down to prevent damage.

As to why it's overheating, it could be:

1. Improper cooler installation. Is it firmly secured? Did you apply the thermal paste correctly?
  2. OC + Stock heatsink. Don't do it. If that's your case, just remove your OC and run at stock.

If none of the above apply, try reducing the voltages. It should help.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Well, there's our answer. Your CPU is overheating and most likely shutting down to prevent damage.

As to why it's overheating, it could be:

1. Improper cooler installation. Is it firmly secured? Did you apply the thermal paste correctly?
  2. OC + Stock heatsink. Don't do it. If that's your case, just remove your OC and run at stock.

If none of the above apply, try reducing the voltages. It should help.

I did do that self-overclock on the BIOS where you select what you use your computer for. It said it increased my CPU performance by 21% and DRAM by 8%, how can I reverse what it did?

I did do that self-overclock on the BIOS where you select what you use your computer for. It said it increased my CPU performance by 21% and DRAM by 8%, how can I reverse what it did?

LOL. Never use self OCing tools. I would go on a long text to explain why, but I guess you figured that out yourself....

Anyway, just clear the CMOS and you should be golden.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

To clear the CMOS, do I press the big red button on the motherboard that says reset? :P (Or is it in the software)

To clear the CMOS, do I press the big red button on the motherboard that says reset? :P (Or is it in the software)

Nope, that only reboots the system.

Look up your mobo's manual (an online version with Ctr+F might be handy....) and see the methods for clearing the CMOS. It'll offer you multiple options, pick the one that seems best for you.

Nope, that only reboots the system.

Look up your mobo's manual (an online version with Ctr+F might be handy....) and see the methods for clearing the CMOS. It'll offer you multiple options, pick the one that seems best for you.

I found this:

40577fd4cace30f60728e4403a0df792.png

It doesn't say whether I keep the computer on or off when I do it. Probably a stupid question to you but I have no idea, should I keep it off?

PC off.

It might be fine doing it while the PC is on, but traditionally, clearing the BIOS is something you do when the PC is down.

PC off.

It might be fine doing it while the PC is on, but traditionally, clearing the BIOS is something you do when the PC is down.

Thanks, I reset it now, I'll post back if I ever crash again :P

Yeah don't have one :/

Highest the GPU went to: 63 C

92C???? That is definitely not normal.