Returning a CPU to Amazon

Flibbib

I know some of you might no agree with this, and I don't know if this is in the right place, but here it goes.

I have a 4690k at 4.5GHz stable, but the other half has taken such a liking to pc gaming she has started streaming. The processor is immediately a bottleneck now.

It came on 4th December from Amazon. Stock cooler never used either. If I am very careful with the way it's repacked, can I send it back, get a refund then buy a 4790k?

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

You can probably get a refund but a 4690k should be fine for streaming.

What are you using to stream?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Xsplit. It is really suffering badly even using a capture card to stream from a Xbox. 1080p/60 is 100% a no-go

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

I know some of you might no agree with this, and I don't know if this is in the right place, but here it goes.

I have a 4690k at 4.5GHz stable, but the other half has taken such a liking to pc gaming she has started streaming. The processor is immediately a bottleneck now.

It came on 4th December from Amazon. Stock cooler never used either. If I am very careful with the way it's repacked, can I send it back, get a refund then buy a 4790k?

It's frowned upon since you used it and there's nothing wrong with it but yes you may return it till January 31st of 2016 since you purchased it during the holiday season.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15015721

It's frowned upon since there's nothing actually wrong with it and you used it but yes you may return it till January 31st of 2016 since you purchased it during the holiday season.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15015721

I've read the policy, just thinking will I actually get away with it. To be honest I'm a little annoyed as it should be able to at least stream from a capture card but it can't. I dont know if it's lack of software optimisation on Windows 10 but it stutters horrendously, and there is no hope of streaming pc gameplay

I've read the policy, just thinking will I actually get away with it. To be honest I'm a little annoyed as it should be able to at least stream from a capture card but it can't. I dont know if it's lack of software optimisation on Windows 10 but it stutters horrendously, and there is no hope of streaming pc gameplay

As I said before, yes you can but it's frowned upon. Return too many items just for the sake of returning and Amazon will ban your account.

Streaming is a very CPU intensive task. It's recommended to have at least a 4790k (4 cores with HT equivalent) and preferred to have a 5820k when streaming. You'd also want to lower your resolution from 1080p to 720p. Most streaming websites limit your bitrate so anything past 720p60 won't really benefit so you're just taxing your system. 

It could be the stream settings or network/internet speeds as well. Bitrate can seriously affect the stream if your network connection or internet can't keep up, or if it is set too high and the cpu can't keep pace.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

It could be the stream settings or network/internet speeds as well. Bitrate can seriously affect the stream if your network connection or internet can't keep up, or if it is set too high and the cpu can't keep pace.

I've never returned anything to Amazon and brought quite alot so I'm in the clear. I know it's a bad thing to do but I have hardly any cash and couldn't afford much for my other halves Christmas so this would really make it up to her for her birthday in January.

As for bit rate, it's at 4000, we have 20mbps upload and everything's on cat5e so networks not an issue.

Again I know it's a bad thing to do, but what do I say? Opened it and realised I've got an 1151 mobo or something?

I've never returned anything to Amazon and brought quite alot so I'm in the clear. I know it's a bad thing to do but I have hardly any cash and couldn't afford much for my other halves Christmas so this would really make it up to her for her birthday in January.

As for bit rate, it's at 4000, we have 20mbps upload and everything's on cat5e so networks not an issue.

Again I know it's a bad thing to do, but what do I say? Opened it and realised I've got an 1151 mobo or something?

All I was saying was, just be sure it is the cpu that is holding it back. I don't stream but something tells me that 4000kbps is on the high side.

If the stream is stuttering when used as a capture device, the problem isn't likely the cpu. I'd troubleshoot a bit more and be sure what the problem is before doing a refund, getting a more expensive cpu and having the same exact problem.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

All I was saying was, just be sure it is the cpu that is holding it back. I don't stream but something tells me that 4000kbps is on the high side.

If the stream is stuttering when used as a capture device, the problem isn't likely the cpu. I'd troubleshoot a bit more and be sure what the problem is before doing a refund, getting a more expensive cpu and having the same exact problem.

I'm agreed with you, it's not fully the cpu in all aspects, but she was streaming AC: Syndicate and BF4 the other day. They both run fine at max, always overs 60fps at 1080p, but once you add any streaming most background processes become unresponsive and anything on the second monitor locks up (like watching the stream back on twitch, it plays at like 5fps but to others it looks like 30, when it's set to 60).

I'm agreed with you, it's not fully the cpu in all aspects, but she was streaming AC: Syndicate and BF4 the other day. They both run fine at max, always overs 60fps at 1080p, but once you add any streaming most background processes become unresponsive and anything on the second monitor locks up (like watching the stream back on twitch, it plays at like 5fps but to others it looks like 30, when it's set to 60).

Are you using QuickSync or ShadowPlay?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Quicksync in xsplit. I am going to experiment with shadow play tomorrow but can I set that up so I can have a Web Cam and overlay on my stream? If so then I may be able to chug along with the 4690k as I've head shadow play has no overheads