980 ti Sli $1460 vs titan x $1380

Wolf_Lbh
Go to solution Solved by z0ne,

Like most posters I'm telling you it's overkill unless you have money to throw away. But you asked for specs, so here you go. 
http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/sli-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-4k-gaming-performance-benchmarks-idnum358/

Just buy one 980 TI and waste more money on a ballin' screen.

EDIT: for the overclocked specs just add a few %

Okay so let me start by saying that I'm a complete beginner when it comes to building computers and this is going to be my first build. I've heard that the main limit of the titan x is thermal throttling so I decided to go with a watercooled option:

http://amazon.com/dp/B00YDAYMIE
71lFoFRT4GL._SL1200_.jpg
Cost: $1380

But then I watched Linus' video comparing the Titan X with the 980 ti and found out that other than being half the Vram it is exactly the same hardware with only an average of 1 fps difference:

So I figure with the 980 Ti being virtually the same exact card anything true about the Titan X being held back by thermal throttling should also be true about the 980 Ti and it should show the same performance when watercooled as the Titan X. So then I looked into the price and found out that for $80 more I could run 2 Watercooled 980 Tis for the price of 1 Watercooled Titan X:

http://amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UX8TA
71yak0UDOSL._SL1200_.jpg
Cost: $1460

So my question would be... What difference would overclocking make? I've heard the 980 ti only keeps up with the Titan X because it kind of pre-emptively overclocks itself out of the box. But even if the Titan X gets better overclocks surely it can't keep up with 2 980 tis overclocked running in sli can it?

Someone give me specs! (please)

980ti sli will crush the titan x in framerates a 980ti already competes with a titan x by itself

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

if you have THAT much money to spend,  you could spend the money on those 980tis at once, but if I were ytou I would first see if 1 980ti isn`t enough

Mainly because you`ll be able to run almost everything on ultra...

to game or not to game, that`s the question

But has anyone ever actually compared 2 watercooled overclocked 980tis vs a watercooled overclocked titan x?

I figured it couldn't lose considering it is basically 2 titan xs vs 1 but is there any actual data on this?

But has anyone ever actually compared 2 watercooled overclocked 980tis vs a watercooled overclocked titan x?

I figured it couldn't lose considering it is basically 2 titan xs vs 1 but is there any actual data on this?

Probably not, since its basically a waste of money.

Before you make this purchase (which performance wise should be 2 980TI's) make sure you actually need this.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Fury X Crossfire.

He wanted 980 ti or titan x not fury X. I guess he's an nvidia fanboy

If you got the budget I would do it. Tell us the results after though. Pictures too!

980ti sli

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

if you have THAT much money to spend,  you could spend the money on those 980tis at once, but if I were ytou I would first see if 1 980ti isn`t enough

Mainly because you`ll be able to run almost everything on ultra...

Yeah, pretty much this. Even if you're considering 4K ultra, the Titan X will have enough vram but likely not enough raw power to provide 60 FPS in every game.. whereas you might run into vram problems on the 980 Ti on 4K ultra (as some games use more than 6GB on ultra 4K w/ AA and what not enabled).

Eventually, when games take advantage of DX12's vram 'stacking' (for lack of a better term), the 980 Ti SLI would pull ahead in every way.. provided the game's coded properly and there's no issues with SLI.

Honestly though, I would go with the 980 Ti SLI.. but that's up to you, OP.

Yea sorry if I got any hopes up in vain but I got caught up in the whole "omg I can save half the cost! I should double all the things!" With that initial rush gone as I'm only going to be gaming in 1440p at max I think a single 980 Ti should take anything I can throw at it and save me a ton of cash. Not to mention make upgrading easier when Gddr6 comes out. (And save me a good bit on my power bill). I will post pictures when I get it in the next month or so on my build log.

Like most posters I'm telling you it's overkill unless you have money to throw away. But you asked for specs, so here you go. 
http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/sli-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-4k-gaming-performance-benchmarks-idnum358/

Just buy one 980 TI and waste more money on a ballin' screen.

EDIT: for the overclocked specs just add a few %

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED