What to Upgrade?

mukerrem

I tried to find an answer to my question in this forum, in other forums and watched a lot of videos from Youtube... But I couldn't find an answer. 

I will upgrade my PC, but I don't know where to start from. My main purpose of upgrading will be rendering. In my new school, I do a lot of video editing and rendering, and I need faster rendering times because it's taking way too much time to render.

So I thought of upgrading from my 4460 to a 4790. By the way, my motherboard is an H81 Gamer from Asus. But my PSU is a VS650 from Corsair, so I don't know if I should upgrade that. I don't know if I should upgrade my 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING lol.

My system:

Intel Core i5 4460

Asus H81 Gamer 

Asus GTX 960 Strix 2GB

8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Corsair VS650

WD 1TB Caviar Blue

Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO

In short, this is my question:  What would be a good upgrade for this PC for video rendering? CPU or RAM? Or should I get a higher quality PSU?

PSU
GPU
POTATO SALAD

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

that power supply is cancer for those specs

Also, rendering what? Video, 3D rendering, audio, etc.

Oh I just realised I didn't write video. Sorry my bad :/

^rt       get a different psu, 

you might want to get more ram for editing, but first priority is a non fire hazard psu

~dm

What'cha gonna render video on? 

Vegas, Premier Pro, (god forbid) Windows Movie Maker?

I was also going to ask that on the software section on the forum. I've been using a cheap editing software (Sony Movie Studio 13) But I'm probably going to use Premier Pro starting from next week.

I was also going to ask that on the software section on the forum. I've been using a cheap editing software (Sony Movie Studio 13) But I'm probably going to use Premier Pro starting from next week.

i7 then

Or

Xeon 1231 V3

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Not the PSU than?

Oh, yeah. Sure about the PSU.

Change it asap.

Xeon E3 1231 V3 is also good one.

It's same as i7 without iGPU and no OC capability. In your case, you mobo can't OC any CPUs.

Change it to EVGA G2/GS/GQ or any Seasonic ones.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Sony Movie Studio is fine for this scenario. But here, if you're not really going to use Movie Studio for much longer, keep the 960 and get a Xeon E3-1231v3

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Sony Movie Studio is fine for this scenario. But here, if you're not really going to use Movie Studio for much longer, keep the 960 and get a Xeon E3-1231v3

So I should definitely change my PSU, and change my CPU to the xeon? Is it fine to game on it?

Yes.

Could you recommend good power supplies? Is the RM850 good? Or the HX850i? I know these are pretty overkill but I just want to be sure with my power supply, after reading comments about fire hazard PSU's lol.