Which CPU should I use?

cerealkilla

Hey there! I'm new here, and I guess this topic belongs here, I'll move on directly to the main details

I've had a PC in my home with an i3 530 (OC to 3.4 GHz), 2*2 gigs of Corsair DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, the motherboard (DH55TC) died a couple of months back. I'm visiting my home for a month or so, thought I'd make that PC usable again. I'll permanently return some time in 2017, till then the PC just needs to do basic MS Office and browsing stuff. After I return, I plan to make it somewhat of a low-mid range rig.

So the thing is, should I choose the i3 6100 and some DDR3L RAM, or the i5 4440/4460 and reuse the old RAM? Don't plan to change the CPU soon, I'll just add in a graphics card and increase the RAM when I return. But with gaming in mind, which CPU would be better? Not gonna get any good motherboard, so I don't think it'll have the base clock overclock support in it, also I don't think it'll help that much. Also since DX12 would be better with multi-core CPUs. is the i5 the one I should get? I did think about getting some 6th gen i5, but it's kinda out of my budget. I know that would be the best choice, but I don't think that's happening.

I plan to reuse my old HDD, Optical Drive and other stuff.

Also, if I'm dual channeling RAM, do they both have to be the same thing? Or will RAM from some different manufacturer but with same memory work? And what if I have 4 slots? Will 2+2 and 4+4 work?

Thanks in advance  :)

I believe it`s really difficult to let RAM work together when they`re different brands, not sure tho

to game or not to game, that`s the question

I believe it`s really difficult to let RAM work together when they`re different brands, not sure tho

It really depends most of the time its works just fine but sometimes when the ratios are different u can run into some issues.

but in my experience its not hard at all just a mather of plopping in some new DIMMs and it should work just fine

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

Hey there! I'm new here, and I guess this topic belongs here, I'll move on directly to the main details

I've had a PC in my home with an i3 530 (OC to 3.4 GHz), 2*2 gigs of Corsair DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, the motherboard (DH55TC) died a couple of months back. I'm visiting my home for a month or so, thought I'd make that PC usable again. I'll permanently return some time in 2017, till then the PC just needs to do basic MS Office and browsing stuff. After I return, I plan to make it somewhat of a low-mid range rig.

So the thing is, should I choose the i3 6100 and some DDR3L RAM, or the i5 4440/4460 and reuse the old RAM? Don't plan to change the CPU soon, I'll just add in a graphics card and increase the RAM when I return. But with gaming in mind, which CPU would be better? Not gonna get any good motherboard, so I don't think it'll have the base clock overclock support in it, also I don't think it'll help that much. Also since DX12 would be better with multi-core CPUs. is the i5 the one I should get? I did think about getting some 6th gen i5, but it's kinda out of my budget. I know that would be the best choice, but I don't think that's happening.

I plan to reuse my old HDD, Optical Drive and other stuff.

Also, if I'm dual channeling RAM, do they both have to be the same thing? Or will RAM from some different manufacturer but with same memory work? And what if I have 4 slots? Will 2+2 and 4+4 work?

Thanks in advance  :)

better get an i3-4170 to do the job. skylake paired with ddr3L is not that good, because due to the higher ddr3 voltage than ddr4, it damages the memory controller

also 2+2 and 4+4 in the same mobo can be done, just use the right ram slots to achieve 2 dual channnels (2x2+4x4)

The site has changed....

It really depends most of the time its works just fine but sometimes when the ratios are different u can run into some issues.

but in my experience its not hard at all just a mather of plopping in some new DIMMs and it should work just fine

So it'll work, though I might have to do something to make it work?

better get an i3-4170 to do the job. skylake paired with ddr3L is not that good, because due to the higher ddr3 voltage than ddr4, it damages the memory controller

also 2+2 and 4+4 in the same mobo can be done, just use the right ram slots to achieve 2 dual channnels (2x2+4x4)

Rather than an i3 4170, wouldn't the i5 4440 be better?

Much better, i5 4460 is cheaper than 4440.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Much better, i5 4460 is cheaper than 4440.

Then is it safe to assume that the 4460 is better than the 6100 (DDR3 for the i5 and DDR4 for i3) for gaming?

Then is it safe to assume that the 4460 is better than the 6100 (DDR3 for the i5 and DDR4 for i3) for gaming?

Yeah.

Memory speed doesn't matter when it comes to gaming.

i5>i3

4 core 4 threads is better than 2 core 4 threads.

Get the i5 4460.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

yes if you have the budget an i5 would be better (4460/4430/4440)

The site has changed....

Yeah.

Memory speed doesn't matter when it comes to gaming.

i5>i3

4 core 4 threads is better than 2 core 4 threads.

Get the i5 4460.

One more thing, will my old RAM work with this? DDR3, 1333 MHz, 1.5v. Haven't decided on any motherboard yet, I'll probably get some cheap-ish one

One more thing, will my old RAM work with this? DDR3, 1333 MHz, 1.5v. Haven't decided on any motherboard yet, I'll probably get some cheap-ish one

Yes, It'll work just fine.

If you wanna add more RAM, get the same stick if possible. If not a decent RAM with 1333Mhz.

Otherwise there'll be compatibility issues.

Yes, It'll work just fine.

If you wanna add more RAM, get the same stick if possible. If not a decent RAM with 1333Mhz.

Otherwise there'll be compatibility issues.

Have 2 of them already (2 GB), the thing is can I put 2 different memory and frequency in the 2 DIMMs? And will adding a single one (2*2+1*4) work? 

Have 2 of them already (2 GB), the thing is can I put 2 different memory and frequency in the 2 DIMMs? And will adding a single one (2*2+1*4) work? 

Technically it should work.

But make sure to get a 1333Mhz one, higher one may also work.

But not guaranteed.

Technically it should work.

But make sure to get a 1333Mhz one, higher one may also work.

But not guaranteed.

Probably gonna get a single 4 GB 1600 MHz stick to start off with, thanks!