Salvaging Windows 7 Home Premium from Old Laptop

JujuShinobi

I was looking for a way to save a little bit more cost with my build, then the idea of "Why not cannibalize that pathetic excuse of a laptop and salvage the Windows 7 OS?" came to mind.

My laptop has Windows 7 32-bit since it is a mobile Intel Pentium and I was wondering if uninstalling the OS and reinstalling it in another machine in 64-bit is possible. The license sticker is underneath my laptop so I have the key needed to install Windows.

So was do you guys think? Is it possible? Or would I have to spend $90 on Windows 8 (which I actually don't mind using)?

Wipe the drive and the key is usable again.

Just download the appropriate ISO http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Open the ISO with deamon tools(to get the files inside the ISO), make a USB boot drive and put the files on it and use that to install windows 7 on the other machine and use your laptops key.  Or just run the setup.exe from mounting the ISO in deamontools on the other machine if it already has a OS on it.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Wipe the drive and the key is usable again.

Just download the appropriate ISO http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Open the ISO with deamon tools, make a USB boot drive and put the files on it.

But will I be able to install it as 64-bit? I have never installed an OS before so forgive me. Plus, it will be a completely FRESH Windows 7 right? If that's the case I might want to find a way to salvage my Microsoft Office apps as well

But will I be able to install it as 64-bit? I have never installed an OS before so forgive me. Plus, it will be a completely FRESH Windows 7 right? If that's the case I might want to find a way to salvage my Microsoft Office apps as well

Yes you can install it as 64-bit the keys are interchangeable, just make sure you download the correct version of windows 7 (professional etc) of what your laptop key is for.  Also yes it will be a complete fresh install.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Yes, you will be able to install it as 64 bit. 

Yes, do a fresh install, you might need to call Microsoft to get them to activate it though. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

No, you will not be able to install it as 64 bit. The a 32 bit is used for 32 and 64 is used for 64 bit.

Yes, do a fresh install, you might need to call Microsoft to get them to activate it though. 

Nope, keys are interchangeable, always have been.

When you buy windows 7 you get one key and 2 disks, the key is the same for both, there is nothing locking you from using a 32or64 on the same key, the only lock is which version (professional etc) you use.  I use a windows 7 professional 32bit key on this computer, and its 64bit.

Nope, keys are interchangeable, always have been.

When you buy windows 7 you get one key and 2 disks, the key is the same for both, there is nothing locking you from using a 32or64 on the same key, the only lock is which version (professional etc) you use.  I use a windows 7 professional 32bit key on this computer, and its 64bit.

So basically I do this, download Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit from WEBSITE X into a USB drive. Wipe the OS off the old drive and on the new machine, boot off the USB drive and install Windows into the boot drive right?

So basically I do this, download Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit from WEBSITE X into a USB drive. Wipe the OS off the old drive and on the new machine, boot off the USB drive and install Windows into the boot drive right?

Yes you download the appropriate windows 7 ISO from the website linked.

Which is http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso - Home premium 64bit

Download this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

It will do the USB boot drive thing for you :)

Insert a USB Drive that is big enough for the ISO file into your computer.

Run the Windows 7 USB-DVD program, select the USB Drive, select the ISO you downloaded, and click next and let it do its thing.

It will create a USB boot drive for windows 7 on the usb stick.

Then wipe your laptop hard drive, whichever way you want or you can even just do this:

Open command prompt as admin and type: slmgr.vbs /upk

It will deactivate the key without you needing to wipe the drive, so you can decide to do w/e.

Then boot into the USB drive on your other computer, install and input the key.

And you are done :)

Yes you download the appropriate windows 7 ISO from the website linked.

Which is http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso - Home premium 64bit

Download this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

It will do the USB boot drive thing for you :)

Insert a USB Drive that is big enough for the ISO file into your computer.

Run the Windows 7 USB-DVD program, select the USB Drive, select the ISO you downloaded, and click next and let it do its thing.

It will create a USB boot drive for windows 7 on the usb stick.

Then wipe your laptop hard drive, whichever way you want.

Then boot into the USB drive on your other computer, install and input the key.

And you are done :)

Thanks a bunch mate! You essentially saved me $90 xD

If any of my friends ask a similar questions I'll be sure to link your answer :)

Thanks a bunch mate! You essentially saved me $90 xD

If any of my friends ask a similar questions I'll be sure to link your answer :)

Glad I could help.

Do this though to deactivate the key:

Open command prompt as admin and type: slmgr.vbs /upk

It will deactivate the key without you needing to wipe the drive

So you can decide what to do with the data on it and stuff (can also keep your laptop on while you are installing the OS on your other computer :P)

@JujuShinobi

Did I miss something?

From what I can tell this is an OEM version of Microsoft Windows included with your laptop.

You can only switch computers with a full version of Windows,OEM versions are locked to the motherboard.

This means you can change the ram,processor,graphics card,or anything else,but if you change the motherboard you won't be able to install windows.

Yes as said above by @X1XNobleX1X Microsoft MAY deactivate it for you,and then you'll be able to use an OEM copy on a different computer,but this is the same as when you call X service and the rep decides what kind of mood he's in,because they aren't supposed to do this.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I doubt its an OEM copy of windows.

Every laptop I've repaired didn't have a OEM copy on it.

Even if it is, there are ways to force it to activate.

I doubt its an OEM copy of windows.

Every laptop I've repaired didn't have a OEM copy on it.

Even if it is, there are ways to force it to activate.

Is the way to force it different for every laptop?

Is the way to force it different for every laptop?

Nope, its just small little hack of sorts in regedit (on the other computer) and if it decides to be stubborn there are other options.

By that I'm guessing it is a OEM? look on the bottom sticker, havn't seen a OEM for years lol.

Nope, its just small little hack of sorts in regedit (on the other computer) and if it decides to be stubborn here are other options.

By that I'm guessing it is a OEM? look on the bottom sticker, havn't seen a OEM for years lol.

It says Windows 7 Home Premium OA HP. Not gonna send a picture for obvious reasons =P

It says Windows 7 Home Premium OA HP. Not gonna send a picture for obvious reasons =P

Thats OEM, well thats a first for awhile lol oh well.

Well anyway, sent you a PM with options.

These would not come with regular keys unless they're custom built.

They'll be OEM, you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Thats OEM, well thats a first for awhile lol oh well.

Well anyway, sent you a PM with options.

all prebuilt pc's,with some very few exceptions,come with OEM windows.

No idea where you've been looking that an OEM copy of windows on a prebuilt pc is uncommon.

and as for these options,I can't think of any that legally allow him to use his OEM copy of windows on a different pc,none other than calling microsoft and testing whether or not you feel lucky today.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

all prebuilt pc's,with some very few exceptions,come with OEM windows.

No idea where you've been looking that an OEM copy of windows on a prebuilt pc is uncommon.

and as for these options,I can't think of any that legally allow him to use his OEM copy of windows on a different pc.

One of them is legal :) doesn't work on all keys though, but does on most of them.

The other is more of a gray area which is Microsoft's fault in the first place.

One of them is legal :) doesn't work on all keys though, but does on most of them.

The other is more of a gray area which is Microsoft's fault in the first place.

I haven't heard of any 100% legal ways,other than calling microsoft.

Linus Sebastian said: