Playing without side panel?

no_clntrol

My current case is too small for me to be able to fit my PCIE cables, so I had to leave it open on the side. I am in quite a bad position when it comes to cooling and case, I am currently missing an exhaust fan and the intake fan doesn't even create a breeze. My GPU on the other hand is a GTX970, ocerclocked to 1516mhz core and 7908 mhz mem. I was running Unigine Valley frequently last night and my temps were stable at around 64C. Core voltage is +37mv and power limit is set to 110%. Is this a decent cooling option or am I missing something?

Is this the text below my post?

My current case is too small for me to be able to fit my PCIE cables, so I had to leave it open on the side. I am in quite a bad position when it comes to cooling and case, I am currently missing an exhaust fan and the intake fan doesn't even create a breeze. My GPU on the other hand is a GTX970, ocerclocked to 1516mhz core and 7908 mhz mem. I was running Unigine Valley frequently last night and my temps were stable at around 64C. Core voltage is +37mv and power limit is set to 110%. Is this a decent cooling option or am I missing something?

you can leave the side panel off no problem

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

64 is a good temp.

What about CPU temps?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

you're good with the temps.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Having your side panel open is totally fine, as long as you don't stick your head into your case while it is running :P

There might be more dust entering your system, but if you clean your case frequently it shouldn't be a problem.

64 is a good temp.

What about CPU temps?

I am currently waiting for my CPU to be delivered, as I am currently getting tons of bottlenecks with my AMD FX-4100. It is clocked to 4.0ghz and is running mostly at 55-60C. I haven't monitored the CPU temps in really CPU intensive games, but I will do that when I get home.

Having your side panel open is totally fine, as long as you don't stick your head into your case while it is running :P

There might be more dust entering your system, but if you clean your case frequently it shouldn't be a problem.

Common sense haha!

I will be replacing the case along with my CPU in the very near future, this was just meant as a temporary solution, but it seemed so effective that I actually had to ask.

i have been known to run my PC with out the side panel for a few months at a time ... waiting for a GPU RMA or other PC maintenance... ill just leave the side panel off until i finish it...

the only thing i've noticed is that it collects dust ALOT faster... so aslong as you keep a can of compressed air on hand and clean the dust off ever now and then you will be fine

and not having a side panel on normally helps with cooling... when i first got my GPUs i took the side panel off and put a box fan in front of it just to see how high i could over clock my shit...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

I am currently waiting for my CPU to be delivered, as I am currently getting tons of bottlenecks with my AMD FX-4100. It is clocked to 4.0ghz and is running mostly at 55-60C. I haven't monitored the CPU temps in really CPU intensive games, but I will do that when I get home.

Without side panel, dusts may get in pretty easily. 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I run my sli 970 g1 with the side panel off 24/7 running f@h. Dust isn't too bad as long as you keep the room clean and clean the rig every 3 months or so.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016