what does it take to be a computer repair person

NanoTech56

like what do you need to be in like geek squad or a local computer repair job? do you need like a 2 year technical college degree or what? 

You need a degree but experience can get you there most likely

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Geek squad requires basic know how, obviously experience will give you a better chance but thats it.

like what do you need to be in like geek squad or a local computer repair job? do you need like a 2 year technical college degree or what? 

Geek Squad "I know because I applied for a job at BestBuy" Usually requires working experience in retail "required" and recommend a certification I think. Google BestBuy jobs for information on GeekSquad.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Geek Squad: Nothing. Just show up for work claiming you know what to do.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Geek Squad: Nothing. Just show up for work claiming you know what to do.

i know what to do. right now i diagnose problems for neighbors and family. im the tech guy on my block and i thought to turn it in to a career better then stocking shelves at a hardware store 

Geek Squad "I know because I applied for a job at BestBuy" Usually requires working experience in retail "required" and recommend a certification I think. Google BestBuy jobs for information on GeekSquad.

retail so like a department store job? thats dumb

retail so like a department store job? thats dumb

Well, it's GeekSquad, so...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Well, it's GeekSquad, so...

ever heard of hot geeks? or is that just a my super small town pc repair place 

ever heard of hot geeks? or is that just a my super small town pc repair place 

Nope. Probably a single store or small, localized chain.

Nope. Probably a single store or small, localized chain.

yeah idk if its a chain or just some people who had money to make a store. because it shut down for a year and now its back in the same place again xD 

i know what to do. right now i diagnose problems for neighbors and family. im the tech guy on my block and i thought to turn it in to a career better then stocking shelves at a hardware store 

I do not recommend turning a Geek Squad position into a career..

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I do not recommend turning a Geek Squad position into a career..

i know i just want to do some pc repair / diagnostic stuff eventually some at home self business like that you gotta start somewhere

yeah idk if its a chain or just some people who had money to make a store. because it shut down for a year and now its back in the same place again xD 

Well I mean in Best Buy tech smarts can only get you so far, if you know how to communicate with people and convince them to buy your service/product that's what they look for. Check if there are any openings in your area https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/home.aspx?partnerid=25632&siteid=5649

I just reapplied there for a different position, though it is seasonal it should get me some discounts on Intel Retail Edge *unless they only discount during Summer and Winter* and a little pocket cash.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

You need a degree but experience can get you there most likely

A degree to be a PC repairman? What?? Seriously?  This either means that the PC repairman does way more than just repairing and diagnosing PC's, or degrees mean a different thing than where I'm from.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Well I mean in Best Buy tech smarts can only get you so far, if you know how to communicate with people and convince them to buy your service/product that's what they look for. Check if there are any openings in your area https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/home.aspx?partnerid=25632&siteid=5649

I just reapplied there for a different position, though it is seasonal it should get me some discounts on Intel Retail Edge *unless they only discount during Summer and Winter* and a little pocket cash.

money isn't a big deal for me. my dad is loaded and he said as long as i have a job i can live with him. so ill have like save most of my money so when he passes ill have money to pay the bills and shit. i just need a job that i like i hate my current one.

A degree to be a PC repairman? What?? Seriously?  This either means that the PC repairman does way more than just repairing and diagnosing PC's, or degrees mean a different thing than where I'm from.

someone please won't hire you if you have no knowledge on the subject so having a degree shows that you have some experience in that field so you are more likely be hired over a non degree person 

money isn't a big deal for me. my dad is loaded and he said as long as i have a job i can live with him. so ill have like save most of my money so when he passes ill have money to pay the bills and shit. i just need a job that i like i hate my current one.

Okay so like I said apply and see what happens :P also call back and make sure you dress well on interviews if you do get called back. Also put together a resume *of course tailored to that occupation* as well.

someone please won't hire you if you have no knowledge on the subject so having a degree shows that you have some experience in that field so you are more likely be hired over a non degree person 

Just to confirm, where I come from it goes

High school > Diploma > Degree > Masters

A degree is needed?  Degrees can get you so much further than a PC repairman, I doubt anyone would get a degree just to work in a Geeksquad and I don't think they would set the bar of entry so high? Enlighten me :)

Okay so like I said apply and see what happens :P also call back and make sure you dress well on interviews if you do get called back. Also put together a resume *of course tailored to that occupation* as well.

honestly i dont like how i was raised i had everything handed to me just because my dad is rich. i wish i was disciplined more. because right now im a stoner just working to live at home. i wish i had more work ethic so i think doing something with compter will help that. my dad doesn't care that i just sit at home drink and smoke and work like twice a week. but i dont like. sometimes i wish i come from a poorer family because they seem to be better people 

Just to confirm, where I come from it goes

High school > Diploma > Degree > Masters

A degree is needed?  Degrees can get you so much further than a PC repairman, I doubt anyone would get a degree just to work in a Geeksquad and I don't think they would set the bar of entry so high? Enlighten me :)

yes after high school got to a technical collage to get a degree just sayin like oh you passed a course that has to do with computers to show you know shit about them 

honestly i dont like how i was raised i had everything handed to me just because my dad is rich. i wish i was disciplined more. because right now im a stoner just working to live at home. i wish i had more work ethic so i think doing something with compter will help that. my dad doesn't care that i just sit at home drink and smoke and work like twice a week. but i dont like. sometimes i wish i come from a poorer family because they seem to be better people 

Yeah that's true, perhaps you have to discipline yourself. It's good that you acknowledge that though.

yes after high school got to a technical collage to get a degree just sayin like oh you passed a course that has to do with computers to show you know shit about them 

Wouldn't that be a diploma instead of a degree?  We can't go straight to degree from high school.  If it's a diploma equivalent, then totally understandable though, but a degree I think is way too high a bar.  Would anyone with a degree really be ok working as a Geeksquad?  Not sure, would be a total waste of talent IMHO.

If you're old enough, open your own PC shop. Not those lame mom and pop stores, a sweet little off the map place where you can get sweet hardware and build advice and stuff.

Yeah that's true, perhaps you have to discipline yourself. It's good that you acknowledge that though.

yeah man, its not like im suicidal and shit i just feel like should be doing more. yeah just being lazy and getting high beats work btu its like im missing out on something and want to actually do something with my life. i honestly don't get why rich people like it so much,. yeah you ca buy whatever you want but doesn't that get boring. my dad has well idk if i should say how much he has  in the bank but he still work. beats being,lazy and not helping people or doing shit with your life