Sleeving modular cables

N3rot0xin

Got a question about sleeving modular psu cables. I got an evga supernova fully modular psu. Going to sleeve it. Question I have is are the cables 1 to 1? As in, pin 1 coming out the psu is pin 1 on the other end? And I'm mainly speaking of the 24 pin. Some of the wires are not going to the same pin, so that's why I'm asking. I assume they're ground wires. But I don't want to resin it and mess it up. They're all black wires btw so I can't go off colors. I don't want sleeves to cross, I've seen cables that are 1 to 1 but those are usually extensions.

I am whatever I am. 

best way to deal with the 24 pin in my opinion is to buy a pre sleeved extension cable

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Why would you even say that? I'm sleeving my own. I hate when people say "just go buy it" when people say they're doing something on their own. You know how much more that is to "just go buy" presleeved cables? For just the 24 pin it's more then buying 200 feet of paracord(x4 50ft different colors) and the tools to depin. All that can be bought for under $20. Not everyone is lazy and "just goes and buys it". If I wanted to buy them I wouldn't even post.

I am whatever I am. 

4 colours might be a bit busy but yes Pins are 1:1.

Here is the Modding FAQ in the modding sub forum: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods-new-updates/

It has some useful info.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Well it will only be 3 depending on what color my parts are. But 9 didn't want to be limited when it came time to get parts.

I am whatever I am. 

Well it will only be 3 depending on what color my parts are. But 9 didn't want to be limited when it came time to get parts.

Not all connectors are 1:1 so checking for a pinout diagram, also to note many PSU's have more than one wire going to a single cable so the double wire method may be needed for a clean sleeve job. Most of this should be under the PSU Pinout and Diagrams and Sleeving section of the linked FAQ post.

Well, i think what i'll have to do is do single wire per sleeve, but leave the last 1/2 or 1/4 inch bare(the PSU end) and have the cross happen there. My psu's modular cables are both male ended, so no matter what i'll do there will be a cross of wires. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like once move a couple wires (they're both grounds) i think i should be able to just cross vertically at the ends (pin 24 and 12 for example).  I cant say its the same for all PSUs, but on mine the pins are 1 to 1(source: http://forums.evga.com/NEX-750G-24-PIN-DIAGRAM-m2090108.aspx). So i'll be able to get some pretty clean cables fairly easily. From the factory i guess some were crossed to different pins but still carried same voltage. When I redo it it will be 1:1. 

I am whatever I am. 

Well, i think what i'll have to do is do single wire per sleeve, but leave the last 1/2 or 1/4 inch bare(the PSU end) and have the cross happen there. My psu's modular cables are both male ended, so no matter what i'll do there will be a cross of wires. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like once move a couple wires (they're both grounds) i think i should be able to just cross vertically at the ends (pin 24 and 12 for example).  I cant say its the same for all PSUs, but on mine the pins are 1 to 1(source: http://forums.evga.com/NEX-750G-24-PIN-DIAGRAM-m2090108.aspx). So i'll be able to get some pretty clean cables fairly easily. From the factory i guess some were crossed to different pins but still carried same voltage. When I redo it it will be 1:1. 

Having cables cross over is not a problem just the 24 pin cable will have a bit of a mess in the middle, but it should still allow you to sleeve all the way to both ends of the cables. I would suggest to probe your connections to ensure they are 1:1 just in case to ensure no mistakes, and to do that after sleeving on the connector side. 

Why would you even say that? I'm sleeving my own. I hate when people say "just go buy it" when people say they're doing something on their own. You know how much more that is to "just go buy" presleeved cables? For just the 24 pin it's more then buying 200 feet of paracord(x4 50ft different colors) and the tools to depin. All that can be bought for under $20. Not everyone is lazy and "just goes and buys it". If I wanted to buy them I wouldn't even post.

Lol you posted a question I gave a solution. It cost me like £8 to get a guy to make me a custom sleeve extension for my 24 pin, which is less than $20. If you want to do it yourself that's fair enough, but don't give me attitude for trying to help :(

To avoid the bulge, just make an extension cable which can be on show and as all the pins are 1:1 with no crossovers, it will avoid the bulge

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

This is the type of thing I mean if it helps

Ru0lPPw.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide