SSD recognized in BIOS but not Windows

Go to solution Solved by bucklingspring,

Most of the time, new hard drives and SSDs don't come with pre-formatted partitions, you'll have to configure unallocated space yourself.

1. Open the start menu/screen and search for 'Create and format hard disk partitions'. Disk Management should pop up.
  2. Look for your drive in the list at the top. Once you identify it, clicking on its label should highlight the drive in the panel on the bottom.
  3. Does the drive show up as 'Unallocated'? If so, right click the unallocated space and click on the 'New Simple Volume' option.
  4. After that, follow the wizard's instructions and change the settings to suit your needs. The volume sizes should be filled out correctly automatically by Windows.
  5. Once that's done, you can close Disk Management and you should be able to see your new drive in Explorer.

Transferring your existing Windows installation from your hard drive to your SSD shouldn't require you to make a new partition at all. I'd recommend following this guide.

I got a Faspeed 120GB SSD for Christmas, and I excitedly hooked it up to my computer. My UEFI (asrock) recognizes it, knows the capacity, and labels it D, but in windows file explorer, it isn't listed. It is a shady Chinese company (faspeed) and the website on their little manual isn't even registered. The manual's instructions are literally to screw it in and plug it into sata, so no help there. Also, please quote this, because I will probably forget to check back on this thread unless I'm notified. Thanks :P merry Christmas! 

Also, if you want to be extra awesome, can you tell me how to transfer Windows from my HDD to my new SSD? 

Most of the time, new hard drives and SSDs don't come with pre-formatted partitions, you'll have to configure unallocated space yourself.

1. Open the start menu/screen and search for 'Create and format hard disk partitions'. Disk Management should pop up.
  2. Look for your drive in the list at the top. Once you identify it, clicking on its label should highlight the drive in the panel on the bottom.
  3. Does the drive show up as 'Unallocated'? If so, right click the unallocated space and click on the 'New Simple Volume' option.
  4. After that, follow the wizard's instructions and change the settings to suit your needs. The volume sizes should be filled out correctly automatically by Windows.
  5. Once that's done, you can close Disk Management and you should be able to see your new drive in Explorer.

Transferring your existing Windows installation from your hard drive to your SSD shouldn't require you to make a new partition at all. I'd recommend following this guide.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

go into the windows disk management tool.

do you see it there?

if yes, I think you need to format it if i remember correctly from my friend, he had the same issue.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Also, please quote this, because I will probably forget to check back on this thread unless I'm notified. Thanks :P merry Christmas! 

Well, I forgot to quote you, so... here you go, just in case. c:

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response. Thanks to you, my SSD is now working! Have a great day!

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response. Thanks to you, my SSD is now working! Have a great day!

No problem. Thanks for the reply, glad to hear your hardware works