CPU upgrade needed which to upgrade to I5 2500K or I5 3570K?

as said in the title its time i need to get a new CPU i'm hoping to upgrade from my slightly old I5 2300 which don't get me wrong had no issues with it, just hoping to get a new CPU so i can overclock and wondering which CPU is the best at overclocking as their similar in price and not sure which to get? help guys?

You currently have a Sandy Bridge CPU and a I presume an SB motherboard, so you may not want to go for any ix 3xxx CPUs. You can safely go to either a 2500K, a 2600K. or a 2700K, if you want an unlocked processor.

What motherboard do you have anyways?

get a I5 2500k

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I would sugesst you to go with some i5 2600k / i7 2700k.. You should also get a Propper cooler when overclocking beastly.

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

i5 2500k is better at overclocking, but you will get better preformance from an i5 3570k

motherboard i have is an Asrock H77 pro-4 and thanks for all the replies guys

What are your specs? Can't really answer this if we don't know you what MOBO you're using and GPU. If you have a z77 board and a gpu that uses pci-e 3.0 get a 3570k that way you can take advantage of the increased bandwidth. If you're not using the z77 chipset or don't plan to anytime soon, then get a 2500k.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

motherboard i have is an Asrock H77 pro-4 and thanks for all the replies guys
Okay, you can go for a 3570K then. What is the closest major city to you (for special savings info)?

motherboard- Asrock H77 pro-4

CPU- I5 2300

GPU- ASUS 7770

RAM- 4GB G-SKILLZ

3570k is Ivy Bridge and it is only like $20 more expensive

There isn't a really big difference between the two. Just get the one that is cheaper, wherever you buy your stuff.

The 3570k mainly lowered the TDP from 95W (2500k) to 77W. It also performs a tad better.

Also, I believe the 3570k offers PCIe 3.0 support. Not a huge deal, but if that's a big thing for you, go ahead.

Multidimensional Arrays

The 3570k supports pcie 3.0 but you need a board with a z77 chipset to take advantage of that.

The 3570k is the newer processor so its gonna have better support in the future. It uses less power and outputs less heat which means that it will also last longer than the 2500k. It's not really worth it to upgrade if there is nothing wrong with you current system. If you really want to upgrade wait until the next generation of stuff comes out and see how that performs in relation to the current generation.

If your just upgrading for the sake of it and don't care about the money then at the end of the day your the one that it is going to effect so make sure that you are happy with your decision.

motherboard- Asrock H77 pro-4 CPU- I5 2300 GPU- ASUS 7770 RAM- 4GB G-SKILLZ

Does no one else see a problem with these specs? I don't think you can justify getting an *unlocked* CPU with the *H77* chipset.

Stay away from an i7 because hyperthreading doesn't really affect game performance. If you're gonna stick with Sandy Bridge, go with a 2500k. If you're gonna go Ivy Bridge, go with a 3570k. If you're gonna go Sandy Bridge-E for some reason, go with a 3820. :)

Does no one else see a problem with these specs? I don't think you can justify getting an *unlocked* CPU with the *H77* chipset.

He can sell the mobo and get a new one later on. Either way, its still a great CPU.

I would go with a 3570K, just for future-proofing (if anything ever will take use of the PCIe 3.0), Intel probably has some trick they haven't released yet for z77.

MEH

He can sell the mobo and get a new one later on. Either way' date=' its still a great CPU.[/quote']

If you had suggested which motherboard/CPU combination to upgrade to, I think your response here would make more sense. Instead, people have only mentioned the CPU when OP mentioned overclocking with an H77 board. I must stress that he needs a *NEW* motherboard now if he wants to overclock as he originally stated.

I would go with a 3570K' date=' just for future-proofing (if anything ever will take use of the PCIe 3.0), Intel probably has some trick they haven't released yet for z77.[/quote']

1155/Z77 has no real new products coming to it (maybe some lower power versions of what we already have?). Talking about future-proofing with CPUs that are fundamentally the same architecture doesn't make much sense. Also, it's hard to find a device that can even saturate PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth at the moment for consumer use.

2500K vs. 3570K is a bit of a toss-up. The 2500K usually runs cooler and thus has more OC headroom, but the small intrinsic advantage a 3570K tends to make up for it generally running hotter.

as said in the title its time i need to get a new CPU i'm hoping to upgrade from my slightly old I5 2300 which don't get me wrong had no issues with it' date=' just hoping to get a new CPU so i can overclock and wondering which CPU is the best at overclocking as their similar in price and not sure which to get? help guys? [/quote']

i would definatly go for the 3570k as it is newer than the i5 2500k and you will probably get a better improvement, if money isn't as much as an issue in the UK the 3770k is fairly cheap and about £80 More, but as you said just go for the 3570k and probaly a Noctua DH-14 or a H100i or something similar :) hope it helped.

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Some people say that the 3570k is better at moderate overclocks(I overclocked mine to 4.7GHz before) and 2500k is better for larger overclocks past 4.8GHz, but this really only applies if you're using a custom liquid cooling setup, not h100 or less. They're at around the same price point, and the 3570k performs a tad better, plus all the better things that come with z77 like PCIe 3.0.

tl;dr If you're not doing EXTREME overclocking, get a 3570k

Well, it depends.

Id always say to go for the latest release and latest gen. CPU and im gonna say it again - go for the latest gen cpu and in your case it should be a 3570k.

Even with a z68 mobo it will run good but id suggest getting a z77 with good power delivery and overclock the snot out of your 3570k.

4.2 - 4.5GHz should be easily achievable with a 3570k but it really depends on how lucky you get with getting a good chip.

Best wishes

- cheti

I5 3570K No doubt about it.

An opinion far away from your own can only be seen as madness.