Not sure if this video belongs here. Worth the watch.

Haxxx

Watched this video from a guy I subbed to for csgo videos. His comments on the whole Nvidia/AMD situation are logical. Good watch

I'm all for open source, but devil's advocate: Why would Nvidia's executives want to open source their stuff. It makes Nvidia more competitive. Why would they WANT a fair playing field??

Yey yes...the evil NVidia Corp...  :rolleyes:

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I'm all for open source, but devil's advocate: Why would Nvidia's executives want to open source their stuff. It makes Nvidia more competitive. Why would they WANT a fair playing field??

I hate to say this, but you're completely right. Not open-sourcing shit in favor of an advantage can edge you out.

Yey yes...the evil NVidia Corp...  :rolleyes:

inb4 brainwash

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I thought Intel was evil... Now I know NVIDIA is evil too. Poor AMD, fighting on two fronts against two greedy corporations who play dirty

Let me ask this. Why do parents teach their kids to share? Why can't we just hoard all the nice things for ourselves. Why must we pay taxes? Why can't corporations be less greedy and let us enjoy great technology without paying a huge premium!!!???

Let me ask this. Why do parents teach their kids to share? Why can't we just hoard all the nice things for ourselves. Why must we pay taxes? Why can't corporations be less greedy and let us enjoy great technology without paying a huge premium!!!???

That BMW that cut you off in traffic, that's how they got that BMW.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

It's naive to think that way. Companies are legally responsible to their shareholders and no one else. That means, if they have to pick between hurting 5 million people (who are not their customers and wont impact their bottom line in short or long term and have no impact on them in terms of PR) or an extra $1 of profit, they are legally required to pick the extra profit. Sorry, just the way the world works. Be politically active if you want to change it.

Do people want it to be different? yes. Are people willing to get off their ass and be active about change? No...

That BMW that cut you off in traffic, that's how they got that BMW.

My cousin got his BMW by lugging industrial pipe... his 325i, his X5, also his Harley and his house(s)... his guns, electric drum set... damn I should be a plumber.  :(:)

If AMD was on top, they would probably do the same. 

At least AMD is winning on the GPU front (up until the 980 Ti).

No they're not, this is one of the only places in existence that anyone would think that. The only AMD GPU with an advantage over it's Nvidia counterpart is the 380. And even the 380 has issues with JC3 that the 960 doesn't.

Make sure he doesn't live up to the stereotype :P

Nah, he did that for 10 years... hotels and office buildings mainly.  He just got a job for the city (2 months ago) as a plumbing inspector.  Less pay, but it won't break your body.

At least AMD is winning on the GPU front (up until the 980 Ti).

And don't forget the pro market is quadros. None of the GPU clusters on campus runs AMD GPUs because of CUDA. Which kind of goes back to proprietary technology.

I meant performance-wise.

Gonna edit my post.

Performance potential? Yes, the AMD cards have more potential. The problem is AMD drivers have never let them reach that potential. And their hippy happy move to open source to gain public approval, embarrassing. And telling.

Performance potential? Yes, the AMD cards have more potential. The problem is AMD drivers have never let them reach that potential. And their hippy happy move to open source to gain public approval, embarrassing. And telling.

Yeah it does feel like a company has to have it's back to the wall to do the "right thing" sometimes.

It's naive to think that way. Companies are legally responsible to their shareholders and no one else. That means, if they have to pick between hurting 5 million people (who are not their customers and wont impact their bottom line in short or long term and have no impact on them in terms of PR) or an extra $1 of profit, they are legally required to pick the extra profit. Sorry, just the way the world works. Be politically active if you want to change it.

Do people want it to be different? yes. Are people willing to get off their ass and be active about change? No...

Consumers are the source of their income, not those self serving investors 

Yeah it does feel like a company has to have it's back to the wall to do the "right thing" sometimes.

It will be interesting to see how their CUDA solution works. Could be a game changer, or more shield rattling that does nothing for their customers.

Fair point, although when I had an NVIDIA GPU I used the drivers from August 31st because all the other drivers were giving me issues.

I'd take picking which driver to use, over not having any that work. The reason for my saltyness.

Consumers are the source of their income, not those self serving investors 

Yes... they want to maximize that income. By locking features, they prevent consumers who need those features from running to their competitors. So the consumer's choice is as follows: buy Nvidia, or don't do what you have to do. This is more apparent in pro markets where CUDA is a requirement. This also applies to the consumer models. Either 1. Buy Nvidia (which is a superior product considering the extra proprietary tech) or 2. Get crappy tessellation or 3. Don't buy a GPU or pay more for an more powerful AMD card that can match the Nvidia card based on pure horsepower...

They have a monopoly on the proprietary tech. Capitalism and market economies aren't designed for monopolies.

If you want it to change, be politically active, most people want change, but are too lazy to do anything about it.

EDIT: Case in point, Linus has said multiple times he picked Nvidia because of their gamestream tech.

Edited by StackUnderflow

Everyone says that open source is inherently better. But is it really?

AMD does provide alternatives to NVIDIA's tech, but the issue is that just providing alternatives and not doing anything else doesn't change anything.

The thing about stuff like Gameworks and PhysX is that they are optional extras. Game developers are under no obligation to add them into their games. So what makes all that stuff from NVIDIA attractive? Well, with Gameworks, NVIDIA will send over software engineers to pretty much implement whatever Gamework effect that you want for free and then have staff on call if you have questions. NVIDIA can even as far as to help you optimize and even fix the game in general, as was the case with Batman: Arkham Knight. Game developers don't give a shit whether its "open source", non-GMO, free range, etc... as long as it works. When you are in crunch time and the crucial deadline of release is coming up, you won't have the time to care about that stuff.

AMD, on the other hand, has pretty much been a deadbeat when it comes to supporting their middleware. It was only until the internet raised a huge stink about how badly Project Cars performed on AMD cards that they started to work with the devs to make sure that performance and optimization on their end was good. According to the Project Cars developers, the last time that they only managed to work with AMD before the controversy with the game was in October of 2014, and that was with Slightly Mad sending them 20 keys of the game to the driver team and constantly inviting them to help them with the game.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

Everyone says that open source is inherently better. But is it really?

AMD does provide alternatives to NVIDIA's tech, but the issue is that just providing alternatives and not doing anything else doesn't change anything.

The thing about stuff like Gameworks and PhysX is that they are optional extras. Game developers are under no obligation to add them into their games. So what makes all that stuff from NVIDIA attractive? Well, with Gameworks, NVIDIA will send over software engineers to pretty much implement whatever Gamework effect that you want for free and then have staff on call if you have questions. NVIDIA can even as far as to help you optimize and even fix the game in general, as was the case with Batman: Arkham Knight. Game developers don't give a shit whether its "open source", non-GMO, free range, etc... as long as it works. When you are in crunch time and the crucial deadline of release is coming up, you won't have the time to care about that stuff.

AMD, on the other hand, has pretty much been a deadbeat when it comes to supporting their middleware. It was only until the internet raised a huge stink about how badly Project Cars performed on AMD cards that they started to work with the devs to make sure that performance and optimization on their end was good. According to the Project Cars developers, the last time that they only managed to work with AMD before the controversy with the game was in October of 2014, and that was with Slightly Mad sending them 20 keys of the game to the driver team and constantly inviting them to help them with the game.

Of course it is better. I have been using open sourced Linux ever since the day I discovered it. I have been using open sourced Android ever since the day I ditched apple products 

Because we live in a World were fucking Money is our God!

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO