A guide to overclocking the AMD FX series. (And some info on OCing in generall)

Rataridicta
I managed to get my FX-6100 to 4.6Ghz at 1.39v a while back, which is awesome. Though having that voltage all the time made my room's ambient temperature skyrocket. :(

I couldn't bear being in my room for too long. So I'm back to stock. (I never went over 63C at load)

mine is running the same speed 4.6Ghz at 1.34V stable, once i upgrade to an h100 or swifttech h220 il try for 4.8 or 5Ghz, but for now i don't want to burn my chip

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

How high do you think an FX-4100 can go with a Hyper 212 Evo (or 212x if it comes out soon) and M5A97 Mobo?

I dont see the problem of using an M5A97 mobo, if he doesnt need crossfire, there is no need to go and buy a 99x or 990fx mobo, it will only make him waste money.

well, the 990 series has better overclocking, but the 970 is fine too

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

• 2 weeks later...
How high do you think an FX-4100 can go with a Hyper 212 Evo (or 212x if it comes out soon) and M5A97 Mobo?

I dont see the problem of using an M5A97 mobo, if he doesnt need crossfire, there is no need to go and buy a 99x or 990fx mobo, it will only make him waste money.

I'm hoping to get 4.6 ghz out of my fx 4100 w/ an M5A97 and Xigmatek Dark knight II. This will be my first time OCing my chip as well. Would I really need to tinker with the HT/FSB or can I just do a simple CPU Multiplier/ Voltage increase to get the desired results?

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this guide. I am definitely going to use it once I get my rig together.

Using Multiplier to overclock my CPU atm, gonna use this guide ti overclock it do 4.0ghz still, but with a bit more performance boost.

Also i figured when OCing keep NB Freq and HT at same freq, 1:1 ratio

Max temp of 49degrees.

Using CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO in push pull

EDIT: Overclocking my cpu still to 4.0ghz and its stable. And managed to lower my voltage by 0.008 i know its not a lot but less chances for higher temps

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

• 2 weeks later...

​I'm a noob at this whole overclocking thing and i was wondering if any of you experienced guys out there could give me a best guess as to what kind of oc i could achieve with my FX 8120 eight-core processor with a stock heatsink and on a gigabyte 970A- D3 mobo

Very helpful, new Overclockers will favor it 

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

​I'm a noob at this whole overclocking thing and i was wondering if any of you experienced guys out there could give me a best guess as to what kind of oc i could achieve with my FX 8120 eight-core processor with a stock heatsink and on a gigabyte 970A- D3 mobo

None with the stock heatsink, don't risk it man. I bet that CPU gets 60C only at stocks. At first you need to get proper cooling, otherwise you can damage the CPU with your Temps

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

Well as far as cooling what shoulf i shoot for that not like way over the top

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I didn't see any mention of what I should use to monitor temps with when overclocking AMD cpus by the op. I have seen elsewhere that certain software doesn't give proper readings with AMD cpus. I am overclocking an AMD FX-6300 and just wondered what I should use to monitor temps and more ? I did have someone recommend Core Temp so far and I also am using CPUIDHWMonitor. Any other recommendations ?
Now for actual results from overclocking. I ran Prime 95 for over 6 hrs overnight and no errors at 4.1 GHz. The thing is this overclock is pretty much guaranteed for this cpu as boost can do this on it's own although I will say mine only boosted to 3.8 GHz without manually setting it. I just ran Prime 95 for 2 hrs and it had an error on the 6th core and I was running the cpu at 4.2 GHz but had things on like boost and more that people say to shut off.
Anyway got to figure out where I want to go from here and I got to find out really what an average and decent oc for the AMD FX-6300 is before I get too disappointed with all I am getting as attempts to oc beyond this with safety features off in the bios only resulted in blue screens, lockups and failed tests. I was not seeing issues with temps but I am not sure it was reading them correctly either when I shut off certain bios features. :Z
Now hours later I have installed AMD OverDrive and am running the cpu at 4.2 GHz in a stress test with this software for 24 hrs and I wondered does this software really work well ? How does it compare to others ? If this thing passes at 4.2 GHz with this software and not using other stuff can I be guaranteed the oc is ok ?

My motherboard I am using btw is the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and the cooler is the Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler With T.B.SILENCE PWM Twister Bearing Fan Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+.  My power supply is quality so that should not be an issue at all.  Temps are fine and fans are running at max 1800+ rpms.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S