New HTTP 451 Error to Indicate Government Blocking/Internet Censorship

Centurius

451-unavailable-2.top.jpg

Originally proposed in 2013 the Internet Engineering Task Force(IETF) has now approved the use of error 451 to indicate a page has been taken down for legal reasons where previously only 404(not found) and 403(forbidden) could really be used. The goal is to be more transparent about internet censorship as well as making instances of it machine readable. The 451 number is most likely a reference to the novel Fahrenheit 451 and the temperature is roughly the point at which books burn. Use of the error might not become widespread as censorious governments and law enforcement agencies may disallow its use.

IETF chair Mark Nottingham writes that "as censorship became more visible and prevalent on the Web, we started to hear from sites that they'd like to be able to make this distinction. More importantly, we started to hear from members of the community that they wanted to be able to discover instances of censorship in an automated fashion."

It was ultimately this need for machine-readable statistics on censorship that carried the proposal through to full approval as part of the Internet Standards. Although the approval is likely to see the fairly rapid implementation of HTTP 451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons in server software such as Apache, its use online will spread more slowly, as and when server owners patch up to the latest versions.

Just because the standard exists doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be used. Reasonably well-informed speculation inserted into the current Wikipedia entry for HTTP 451 observes that "some sites may be forced to produce HTTP 404 (File Not Found) or similar, if they are not legally permitted to disclose that the resource has been removed", citing that some UK ISPs' implementation of the Internet Watch Foundation blacklist as example of instances where an HTTP 404 error is returned by design. BT's Cleanfeed is referenced as a key example.

---

Personally I am a great fan of transparency and as such welcome the error, at the same time I am disappointed that there now actually is a need for such an error and fear that in less open countries, and even our own countries companies being forced to hide actions taken on behalf of the government via warrant canaries, it won't be very effective.

Original Article: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-12/21/error-451-internet-censorship-alert

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Almost better than HTCPC 418. Too bad we need to have this and we can't use 418 more often :(

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

When the government is reasonably compared to the whole situation in fahrenheit 451, you know it's going downhill.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1. Having some transparency is good

2. Fuck censorship

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL