Suggestions for starter dSLR cameras.

JH275

I've lately been thinking about starting photography. The problem is that I really don't know that much about cameras, and even less about objectives. My dad has a Canon EOS 60D and I've used it sometimes but I would want my own camera. The reason I'm asking about this here is that I couldn't find an article online explaining about cameras and objective indepht. I know some basic stuff about cameras but almost nothing about objectives. Also I have no ideas what to expect at some price point. It would be nice if someone could give some examples of some good dSLR cameras for beginners and some advice on objectives to point me in the right direction.

-Thanks in advance, JH275

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

snip

You have a few options

1. Entry level DSLR cameras, brand new
  2. Second hand more advanced cameras, would cost about the same amount as brand new entry level kits, but might come with some advanced features

I recommend you visit this website, it's run by a group of professionals who know what they are talking about and who actually use the gear in the real world with realistic budgets and expectations.  Instead of mouthing of specifications and technical data and doing tech reviews just because they know a bit.

https://photographylife.com/dslr-purchase-guide

If there are things you want to know or unsure of, you can also ask me.

EDIT

And the most important of all before buying a camera:  GATHER SOME KNOWLEDGE!

You're planning to spend a few hundred $$$, so it's better to be informed about some things before buying a camera that anyone recommends here.

If you look in my signature, I have also written some guides that will help you gain some knowledge about cameras and photography.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You have a few options

1. Entry level DSLR cameras, brand new
  2. Second hand more advanced cameras, would cost about the same amount as brand new entry level kits, but might come with some advanced features

Whatever option you choose, I think it's best to go with a canon so you can swap lenses with your dad ( lenses are expensive and being able to use 1 lens for 2 people can save you quite a lot of money )

Whatever option you choose, I think it's best to go with a canon so you can swap lenses with your dad ( lenses are expensive and being able to use 1 lens for 2 people can save you quite a lot of money )

That's true, but only if the OP's dad has an extensive collection of Canon lenses.  Otherwise if all he has is the kit lens, then there really is no advantage for sticking with a Canon unless the OP wants to.

No I'm not saying Canon is a bad choice.  Canon has also been in the camera business for some time, their cameras are great.  But sticking to Canon when the only lens available is a kit lens offers no significant advantage over other brands.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

That's true, but only if the OP's dad has an extensive collection of Canon lenses.  Otherwise if all he has is the kit lens, then there really is no point for sticking with a Canon unless the OP wants to.

Well it still is a good thing in my opinion, if he ever buys a lens for whatever reason his dad can also use it if he wants to. Unless you're only gonna use the stock lens. ( but using different lenses gives you better photos and is more fun in my opinion :) )

Well it still is a good thing in my opinion, if he ever buys a lens for whatever reason his dad can also use it if he wants to. Unless you're only gonna use the stock lens. ( but using different lenses gives you better photos and is more fun in my opinion :) )

Well the OP is just beginning... it will be a while before a second lens will be purchased, or a lens that is better than any lenses included in kits.  I didn't say your advice was a bad idea, I only (I rewrote what I said) meant that it might not be a good enough reason to discount other brands.  Sony E-Mount cameras could use Canon lenses with an adapter.

I've lately been thinking about starting photography. The problem is that I really don't know that much about cameras, and even less about objectives. My dad has a Canon EOS 60D and I've used it sometimes but I would want my own camera. The reason I'm asking about this here is that I couldn't find an article online explaining about cameras and objective indepht. I know some basic stuff about cameras but almost nothing about objectives. Also I have no ideas what to expect at some price point. It would be nice if someone could give some examples of some good dSLR cameras for beginners and some advice on objectives to point me in the right direction.

-Thanks in advance, JH275

Have you considered the G series for portability? Sure, it's only a rangefinder, but is has full manual control and can fit in a large coat pocket. I own it and have taken some pretty great pictures. (Pictures I've taken)

Honestly, sometimes I feel that the best camera for a beginner to start learning photography is a 35mm film camera. ;)

It lacks all the conveniences and assistance offered by modern digital technology and forces a beginner to learn how ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed all relate to each other.  Additionally as each roll of film has a limited number of shots it can capture, the beginner will be forced to spend more time thinking about the composition rather than shooting off as many frames as a memory card can hold.

Anyway this is just wishful thinking.

You have a few options

• Entry level DSLR cameras, brand new
  • Second hand more advanced cameras, would cost about the same amount as brand new entry level kits, but might come with some advanced features
I recommend you visit this website, it's run by a group of professionals who know what they are talking about and who actually use the gear in the real world with realistic budgets and expectations. Instead of mouthing of specifications and technical data and doing tech reviews just because they know a bit.

https://photographylife.com/dslr-purchase-guide

If there are things you want to know or unsure of, you can also ask me.

EDIT

And the most important of all before buying a camera: GATHER SOME KNOWLEDGE!

You're planning to spend a few hundred $$$, so it's better to be informed about some things before buying a camera that anyone recommends here.

If you look in my signature, I have also written some guides that will help you gain some knowledge about cameras and photography.

I read the article and it did help but I still don't understand what the millimetres on a lens mean. I know that it means something about how far / close you can shoot but the millimetres don't mean anything to me. And I also wanted to ask that is this a good deal: Canon EOS 100D with ef-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and Canon ef-s 55-250mm f/4.5- IS STM lenses. That kit is 549€ right now. I would give you the link but it's a finnish shop so you probably wouldn't understand much.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

snip

OK I will use this image to explain some of the numbers you see when you consider buying a camera and lens.  It's going to be quick and brief.  Not every lens has the same set or type of numbers on the body.

64_1.jpg

50mm = the focal length of the lens.  Smaller number means it is a shorter focal length lens and sees a wider field of view.  Larger number means the focal length is longer and the field of view is narrower.

1.8 2.8 4 5.6.... 22 are the f-stops or Aperture of a lens.  Aperture refers to the ratio between the focal length of the lens divided by the diameter of the lens' iris opening.  Smaller number wider opening, larger number narrower opening.  Wider opening = more light reaches the camera sensor or film, and the ability to use faster shutter speeds.

Additionally on either side of the thick white line you see 11 and 22 indicated.  These are also numbers for aperture, however they are placed there to help the photographer in determining a composition based on hyperfocal calculations.

The numbers marked either by 'm' or 'ft' and with the infinity symbol refer to the focusing distance of the lens.  Infinity being that the lens sees everything from a distance beyond 3 meters or 20 feet up to infinitely distant to be within an acceptable level of sharp focus.  These numbers can also help you position your subject.

There are other numbers, it's not shown on this lens.  But you can read about them here.

http://digital-photography-school.com/what-the-numbers-on-your-lens-mean/

http://expertphotography.com/what-do-the-numbers-and-letters-on-lenses-mean/

It really depends what you want to shoot, cause the main thing is always the lens, not the camera body.