2X 250GB SSD or 1X 480G ssd?

Aztec

Hey, I've bought a Kingston V300 480GB SSD. After a bit of research I've done some tests and I wasn't getting the performance it was advertised. I'll be getting a refund. I was wondering if I should get 2X Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD and then out them in a raid 0 or get one 500GB version of the same drive. I'll be only playing games on my system and I have games such as GTA 5 that takes ages to load. What do you think would be the best option? I've never done any raid configuration before. Thanks.

Basically getting the 2 would offer improve performance but a greater risk of drive failure.

The performance gained though wouldn't really make a massive difference so personally I would go with a single 500GB.

Also if you ever want to increase your storage to 1TB its easy just to add another 500GB instead of adding 2 more 250s and 4 drives is a bad idea.

oh a v300.

2 ssds would give you better speed but would also add a point of failure if they where raided together, but Samsung 850 evos are great ssds so it would be better than your v300.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Although it's a tad riskier, I'd go for two as they are super speedy (this is my current set up)

They are nice drives so I wouldn't be too worried; if you have super important data you can always back it up.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Basically getting the 2 would offer improve performance but a greater risk of drive failure.

The performance gained though wouldn't really make a massive difference so personally I would go with a single 500GB.

Also if you ever want to increase your storage to 1TB its easy just to add another 500GB instead of adding 2 more 250s and 4 drives is a bad idea.

Do you think I should get 2 ssds and then get a 1tb drive at a later date?

Do you think I should get 2 ssds and then get a 1tb drive at a later date?

I would go 500GB and then get a second if you need more later.

oh a v300.

2 ssds would give you better speed but would also add a point of failure if they where raided together, but Samsung 850 evos are great ssds so it would be better than your v300.

I was gutted when I found out that the v300 drives and bad! I'm thinking of getting 2 samsung ssds and then get a 1tb hdd for extra storage and back up.

Although it's a tad riskier, I'd go for two as they are super speedy (this is my current set up)

They are nice drives so I wouldn't be too worried; if you have super important data you can always back it up.

Alright thanks! Do you think it would be a good idea to add a 1tb HDD at a later date for backup and extra storage? I won't have important data on it.

get 950pro or SM951 NVMe

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Alright thanks! Do you think it would be a good idea to add a 1tb HDD at a later date for backup and extra storage? I won't have important data on it.

Sure, you can also backup to an external drive if you want :)

Good luck!

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I was gutted when I found out that the v300 drives and bad! I'm thinking of getting 2 samsung ssds and then get a 1tb hdd for extra storage and back up.

Single ssds give you reliability and can be cheaper than 2 lesser size ssds but 2 lesser size ssds in raid 0 can give you very fast speeds at the risk of losing all data on it, it's up to you mate but a 1 or 2 TB hdd down the road can help when your games are starting to fill up your ssds.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

Single ssds give you reliability and can be cheaper than 2 lesser size ssds but 2 lesser size ssds in raid 0 can give you very fast speeds at the risk of losing all data on it, it's up to you mate but a or 2 TB hdd down the road can help when your games are starting to fill up your ssds.

Just because GTA 5 and other big titles can take ages so I'll probs get the 2 ssds and it's not resally important data in my eyes. I'll get a 2tb HDD for extra storage. I do see where you're coming form tho. Thanks! :)

Just because GTA 5 and other big titles can take ages so I'll probs get the 2 ssds and it's not resally important data in my eyes. I'll get a 2tb HDD for extra storage. I do see where you're coming form tho. Thanks! :)

Yeah I am in the opposite situation I all ready have my 2TB and I am wanting a ssd for those fast speeds.

Spoiler

I don't think that having 2 drives in a raid setup increases the chance of either drive failing. It's just that there are 2 drives that can fail instead of one. If your single drive fails you have also lost all of your non backed up data.

I think that the speed increase is well worth the non-existent failure increase. 

I run a pair of 840 pro drives and love it.