How do I stack (fold?) up?

Hey guys, how does my rig stack up to other CPU folders?

(I don't have an exact way to measure points per day because its all run in CLI)

It takes almost exactly an hour per WU, and I'm doing ~1600 points per WU... how does this compare to other CPU folders?

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

never have done CPU folding. I only do GPU folding because it does more good for the amount of power consumed

I can dig it, but I don't have a GPU in this machine (its a 1U server that I use for file storage, Mumble, and Minecraft)

ESXi SysAdmin

Aren't those xeons dated?

Also,you'd get more points with a strong GPU.  My 925[Phenom II X4] is the weak point in my rig that folds.  However, I make way more than you off just off my GPU[270x 4gb from sapphire].  GPUs do more than CPUs/APUs.

how'd you know I've got Xeons...? o_0

again, no discrete GPU in 1U case....

ESXi SysAdmin

It's on your profile.

hehehe forgot about that....

but yeah, thats what's doing the folding.

ESXi SysAdmin

Impossible to quantify. Especially when there isn't a globally accepted time or size for just "a wu",

as there are different types of wu's. 

But.. to atleast answer some of it ... if we assume this is your ppd 1600*24 = 38.4k ppd. I am pretty

sure a newer generation i7 can do about 30-40k on a good wu. You also have about 24% of the 

point output of my 4p machine which nets me about 160-180k ppd.

Impossible to quantify. Especially when there isn't a globally accepted time or size for just "a wu",

But.. to atleast answer some of it ... if we assume this is your ppd 1600*24 = 38.4k ppd. I am pretty

sure a newer generation i7 can do about 30-40k on a good wu. You also have about 22% of the 

point output of my 4p machine. 

did that math, but its less precise than I'd like it to be

so I'm at least on par with a new i7...good to know

and what do you mean your 4p machine?

ESXi SysAdmin

did that math, but its less precise than I'd like it to be

so I'm at least on par with a new i7...good to know

and what do you mean your 4p machine?

4 processor, it's in my signature. This guy http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/71525-tobbens-4p-build-log-48-core-folder-mini-malossi/

I don't know what kinda setup you are folding on. But if you have difficulty getting proper time estimates, ppd 

number and so forth the traditional way. You can install HFM.NET which works on several machines on lan,

basically a remote monitoring tool that works on linux/windows. You can actually see the client in a screenshot 

of mine at the bottom of the build log.

4 processor, it's in my signature. This guy http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/71525-tobbens-4p-build-log-48-core-folder-mini-malossi/

I don't know what kinda setup you are folding on. But if you have difficulty getting proper time estimates, ppd 

number and so forth the traditional way. You can install HFM.NET which works on several machines on lan,

basically a remote monitoring tool that works on linux/windows. You can actually see the client in a screenshot 

Looks impressive 0_0. My ProLiant was free though :D

eh, I'm ok. not super into the numbers, just wanted to see how it fared. 

ESXi SysAdmin

Looks impressive 0_0. My ProLiant was free though :D

eh, I'm ok. not super into the numbers, just wanted to see how it fared. 

it's also just a convenient way of quickly checking that everything is working as it should.

Which could be pretty inconvenient otherwise depending on your setup.

I'm not really that concerned about convenience considering my computer is 750 miles away... xD

to answer the next question... SSH, SFTP, DMZ.

Got it.

it's also just a convenient way of quickly checking that everything is working as it should.

Which could be pretty inconvenient otherwise depending on your setup.

I'm not really that concerned about convenience considering my computer is 750 miles away... xD

to answer the next question... SSH, SFTP, DMZ.

ESXi SysAdmin

Hey guys, how does my rig stack up to other CPU folders?

(I don't have an exact way to measure points per day because its all run in CLI)

It takes almost exactly an hour per WU, and I'm doing ~1600 points per WU... how does this compare to other CPU folders?

Hmmm, I'm getting about 1500 ppd on the 1 core left in my i5-2300 after the other 3 are being used by my 2 970s and a 980.  So I would love to be getting that number off a CPU, lol.

@tobben - is your rig still making the kind of numbers posted in your build log?  Or what that during the bigadv era?

- Pete

Folding For Linus since July 2015

@tobben - is your rig still making the kind of numbers posted in your build log?  Or what that during the bigadv era?

- Pete

No bigadv bonus means no points. 160-180k compared to the previous 500k isn't particularly impressive. 

The numbers in my build log is from when the bigadv project was still active, i haven't updated them.

No bigadv bonus means no points. 160-180k compared to the previous 500k isn't particularly impressive. 

The numbers in my build log is from when the bigadv project was still active, i haven't updated them.

I suspected that was the case, based on the dates of the log, but I wasn't sure, since that ended before I started folding, so I didn't spend too much time reading about.

Most of what I read was about people getting upset (and maybe quitting in disgust), as the processor count requirements were increased to the point where a "normal" enthusiast couldn't afford the systems needed to qualify for it.  That, and the big jump in hardware prices due to the increase in demand, and limited supply (especially as fewer and fewer components qualified later on).

- Pete

Folding For Linus since July 2015

sure a newer generation i7 can do about 30-40k on a good wu. You also have about 24% of the 

point output of my 4p machine which nets me about 160-180k ppd.

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but how much PPD would i get out of two E5-2640s?

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but how much PPD would i get out of two E5-2640s?

Again, almost impossible to guesstimate. Really depends on the WU you get. Just install it and start Folding and see.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99