Grounding a computer

benga

It's getting pretty cold where I am so i wrapped myself in a blanket while I was at the computer.
The blanket rubbing up on my clothe I guess created a lot of static and when i touched my computer case(outside) everything shut down.
Is this to be expected or is something on my computer not grounded right, or internals maybe touching something they're not supposed to be?

It's getting pretty cold where I am so i wrapped myself in a blanket while I was at the computer.

The blanket rubbing up on my clothe I guess created a lot of static and when i touched my computer case(outside) everything shut down.

Is this to be expected or is something on my computer not grounded right, or internals maybe touching something they're not supposed to be?

Did you try turning it on after it shutdown. If it doesn't turn on then you may have an issue.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Usually that shouldn't ever happen since the case it grounded through the PSU, check to make sure your plug your plugged into is properly grounded.

While it could naturally happen, generally this means something's touching the case metal that shouldn't be. My first build restarted every time I missed the USB port and hit USB plugs on the metal. Similar issue. You may need plastic motherboard standoffs.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

While it could naturally happen, generally this means something's touching the case metal that shouldn't be. My first build restarted every time I missed the USB port and hit USB plugs on the metal. Similar issue. You may need plastic motherboard standoffs.

Or he could just use a bit of electrical tape...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Did you try turning it on after it shutdown. If it doesn't turn on then you may have an issue.

Oh yea it turns on, it was just weird that it shut off from a static shock on the case shell

Usually that shouldn't ever happen since the case it grounded through the PSU, check to make sure your plug your plugged into is properly grounded.

yea that's what I thought! All the cables/extensions are grounded though. Maybe my standoffs?

Aside from cables touching the metal case the rest is surrounded by wood. I think it may indeed be a standoff issue

Oh yea it turns on, it was just weird that it shut off from a static shock on the case shell

yea that's what I thought! All the cables/extensions are grounded though. Maybe my standoffs?

Aside from cables touching the metal case the rest is surrounded by wood. I think it may indeed be a standoff issue

If it's a one time thing I wouldn't be too worried but I would see if the wall plug is actually grounded especially in older homes sometimes they didn't run ground lines. The motherboard is grounded regardless through the standoff and via the 24 pins so it shouldn't need washer or anything.

Wall plug extension/power strip should be grounded model too. 

The heating elements in your room should be grounded too. Just run a cable that connects to the metal case of your PC and the heater. Somewhere on the heater there should be a plase where it is not painted and conducting.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil