Everything installs in 32 bit

Oliverckaas

So I have built this computer a while ago, and everything installs in 32 bit, but I have 64 bit windows and everything.

how do I fix this?  :blink:

What are you installing? Did you download the 64 bit installer?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can you show us it's the 64-bit version of Windows? Some programs also have separate installers for each bit version. If you're using an installer that's 64-bit only, it cannot install in anything except for 64-bit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

a lot of programs are still written for 32-bit, and it makes no difference has most programs will not use 3.5gb of ram.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

A lot of software doesn't even have an x64 variant because it wouldn't benefit from it anyway, so the devs wrote one for all platforms.

Edit: @ashypanda Dangit you beat me to the post button!

So I have built this computer a while ago, and everything installs in 32 bit, but I have 64 bit windows and everything.

-check if 64 bit windows in pc info

-check if using 64 bit installer

- a lot of programs are still written in 32 bit

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

a lot of programs are still written for 32-bit, and it makes no difference has most programs will not use 3.5gb of ram.

That's not the only benefit of X64 but yeah, it's certainly the reason most devs use X64 instructions in their apps.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What are you installing? Did you download the 64 bit installer?

Steam games, Google crome etc

Can you show us it's the 64-bit version of Windows? Some programs also have separate installers for each bit version. If you're using an installer that's 64-bit only, it cannot install in anything except for 64-bit.

http://prntscr.com/9f0uga

Steam games, Google crome etc

then the games you're installing don't support 64 bit and you downloaded the wrong installer for chrome

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Even if your Operating System is 64-bit, the programs won't automagically become 64-bit too.

Games, programs, and applications have to be written in 64-bit code or they won't install as such.

For example, Firefox is only just becoming 64-bit in recent years. You used to have to install Waterfox if you wanted a 64-bit optimized Firefox.

(maybe this is still the case; I don't use Firefox anymore so I wouldn't know) Looks like firefox is finally 64-bit now too!

That's why you'll have C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files in the root of your C: Drive.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)