Help with audio setup

PhilipN

So i got a mod mic. Its terrible and I'm looking for something else now. The reason I got the mod mic was because of the fact that I could use it with my ATH M50X headphones. Since that sucks, I have been thinking of getting an AT2020. The problem is, I don't want to spend $200 on a mic (I'm Canadian, RIP Canadian dollar), but the thing is that I have heard that for the cheap AT2020, you have to buy phantom power (whatever that is) to power it therefore costing me more money. I also have a mechanical keyboard and so I don't know if getting that mic will be a bad choice because of the crazy clicking sounds that go off when I type. Then there's also getting stands for the mic (I have been recommended to get one of those long arm stands that attaches to your desk).

Anyways, if you guys could tell me if its worth it to do all this and give me the cheapest route on how to do it, or should i just say gosh darn it and buy a wireless gaming headset.

Thanks for the input :)

So i got a mod mic. Its terrible and I'm looking for something else now. The reason I got the mod mic was because of the fact that I could use it with my ATH M50X headphones. Since that sucks, I have been thinking of getting an AT2020. The problem is, I don't want to spend $200 on a mic (I'm Canadian, RIP Canadian dollar), but the thing is that I have heard that for the cheap AT2020, you have to buy phantom power (whatever that is) to power it therefore costing me more money. I also have a mechanical keyboard and so I don't know if getting that mic will be a bad choice because of the crazy clicking sounds that go off when I type. Then there's also getting stands for the mic (I have been recommended to get one of those long arm stands that attaches to your desk).

Anyways, if you guys could tell me if its worth it to do all this and give me the cheapest route on how to do it, or should i just say gosh darn it and buy a wireless gaming headset.

Thanks for the input :)

Well most mics will pick up your mechanical keyboard, especially if they're close by.

You're referring to the XLR version of the AT2020 by the "cheap one" - which is actually the better quality one, but yes you need an audio interface or mixer that provides phantom power to connect it to your PC.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

You could try the atr2500 ($60 on amazon atm), and then get a shockmount and arm stand for around $100 total. You'll have to be careful with the shockmount tho, as the atr2500 is freaking massive width wise.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

You are correct for the most part. The AT2020 comes in two editions. First, being a USB type mic. The second an XLR mic. XLR being those fat 3 prong connectors for audio stuff.. And you are also correct that the AT2020 XLR edition requires phantom power (+48V from the pre-amp). So if you were to buy it you would need an audio interface. 
So if you were to buy the mic, which you could probably get for around $100 and an audio interface (I recomend the Focusrite Scarlett Solo) for about another $100, plus a stand and/or shock mount.. You are looking at about $250...

OR

Just buy a blue yeti or blue snowball and be done with it. This would be the cheapest route, and you could configure each so they are sensetive enough to pick up your voice and barely any sound of your keyboard. But! Be aware that if you don't get a stand/shockmount for your mics (any of the before mentioned ones anyway) any typing/clicking will be picked up by the mic through the vibration on your desk.

I just came from a blue yeti on a boom stand/shockmount to the AT2020 XLR edition... and I can say the AT2020 is much better at picking up my voice only and not surrounding sound, once it has been dialed in correctly. I'm also using the Yamaha AG06 for reference.

You could try the atr2500 ($60 on amazon atm), and then get a shockmount and arm stand for around $100 total. You'll have to be careful with the shockmount tho, as the atr2500 is freaking massive width wise.

Not sure where you found it for $60...

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM

I was talking about the US amazon, not Canadian. If you're in Canada, then nvm

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595