Ahci mode on hdd

Hi just want to know im a newbie to this can i use ahci mode to install windows on a hdd so that when i clone it to a future ssd i can use trim and if i can will the be any downsides to this

You SHOULD be using AHCI mode. IDE mode is old and slow :)

You also really dont want to clone from HDD to SSD, a clean install is always a better option.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Ok thanks ill be sure to install in ahci but with the clean install i will be using this system for like maybe 2 months before getting an ssd so i really would like to clone do you have any reccomendations

You SHOULD be using AHCI mode. IDE mode is old and slow :)

You also really dont want to clone from HDD to SSD, a clean install is always a better option.

. Ok thanks ill be sure to install in ahci but with the clean install i will be using this system for like maybe 2 months before getting an ssd so i really would like to clone do you have any reccomendations

Don't listen to Altecice.  There is no reason you can't clone an HDD to an SSD, especially if you'll only be using the HDD for a couple months.  Just make sure you have less data stored on the HDD than the size of your SSD or you won't be able to clone it.

. Ok thanks ill be sure to install in ahci but with the clean install i will be using this system for like maybe 2 months before getting an ssd so i really would like to clone do you have any reccomendations