Problems with ping

CaptainWaffles

I moved my computer to another room, but my ping has been going crazy and is unplayable. What are my options to get stable ping? Im using a small wifi adapter right now, but i heard that a powerline adapter is the best way to go. When I game on my laptop in the same room my ping is fine, so I am assuming its not my WiFi or router problem. Also, I am receiving about 500kbps to 8mbps and sending from 50kbps to 80kbps when I am playing games (not sure if that matters). What is my best solution?

EDIT: I can't move my router or use an ethernet cable

Wired is always your best solution. If that is impossible, then moving the router to a spot where it will have less distance and obstacles between you and it.

Getting a better router or wifi adapter MAY help as well.

When in doubt, re-format.

PS. Little wifi usb adapters are rarely as good at getting signal as laptops are.

I got powerline on black friday and I get no speed loss whatsoever. And my ping stays more consistent on powerline than it does my actual router. If you want I can link the kit I have.

use a long ethernet cable

nothing beats an ethernet cable

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I got powerline on black friday and I get no speed loss whatsoever. And my ping stays more consistent on powerline than it does my actual router. If you want I can link the kit I have.

sure that would be great

use a long ethernet cable

nothing beats an ethernet cable

if i did do a long ethernet cable i wouldnt be able to close my door, and it would look weird.

if i did do a long ethernet cable i wouldnt be able to close my door, and it would look weird.

Theres always a way to make it work, but sometimes that can involve drilling and such

if you use a cable that is the same colour as the wall t will blend in

you need to put the cable at either the top or bottom corners of the wall so it cant be seen

and it will probably fit easily under or over the door, there is almost always a gap there

anything that's not an ethernet cable will have higher ping and reduced speeds

and be more expensive

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If cabling is not an option, the best bet would be a powerline kit, or an actually nice and fancy PCIe wifi adapter with external antennae. Powerline is likely cheaper, and better anyway since it is closer to a proper hard line than fancy wifi.