Help My Brother Ascend

Lazz45

I would like to say a merry christmas to everyone (I know it is early, but sometimes you just gotta be nice),

So I have made some upgrades to my rig and with an extra cooler, gpu, and power supply laying around I thought this would be a good time to help my brother finally build a computer. I would like to get him a game or 2 to start him off and to show him im proud he is ascending, but sadly he has never really gamed much and I am not sure what good starting games would be. I started on the sega and moved to the ps2, xbox 360/wii, to PC. So if you have any suggestions please leave them below, and here are his specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.79 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste  ($5.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($61.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($67.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Raidmax 730W Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive  ($13.49 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $468.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-14 11:45 EST-0500

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

Wrong format for your PCPP list. use the BBcode one.

CSGO is a great game especially as its so easy to run and "fun" to play.

Budget? Location?

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I wouldn't reccomend FX for his first build; you have nowhere to go after that.

Also, please cut the "ascend". PCMR is not a religion, it's a fad.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I wouldn't reccomend FX for his first build; you have nowhere to go after that.

Also, please cut the "ascend". PCMR is not a religion, it's a fad.

I went fx for one main reason, it was much cheaper for what he needed.  This PC is to last him through highschool, and then before college he can upgrade to a nicer rig if he so wishes.  Keep in mind, i should have said that these were purchased for cheaper on black friday.  The price was closer to $390

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

I went fx for one main reason, it was much cheaper for what he needed.  This PC is to last him through highschool, and then before college he can upgrade to a nicer rig if he so wishes.  Keep in mind, i should have said that these were purchased for cheaper on black friday.  The price was closer to $390

Will he ever require six cores to lat him through high school? 

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Will he ever require six cores to lat him through high school? 

no, but 2 cores is becoming increasingly obsolete and the next cheapest quad core was the Athlon 860k and with the 6300 on sale the difference was minimal.  I wanted him to have room to game if he needed it, and he is joining some tech clubs at school so i have no idea if he will do video rendering, CAD, or whatever he may please.  Intel's offering at that price was either the g3502 or the i3 which are both dual cores

•  

no, but 2 cores is becoming increasingly obsolete and the next cheapest quad core was the Athlon 860k and with the 6300 on sale the difference was minimal.  I wanted him to have room to game if he needed it, and he is joining some tech clubs at school so i have no idea if he will do video rendering, CAD, or whatever he may please.  Intel's offering at that price was either the g3502 or the i3 which are both dual cores

I agree, Dual-Core is practically obsolete, but that doesn't make six-core CPUs relevant. I say go with an i5 4460 and a 950, if I'm honest. Schools are supposed to facilitate clubs anyway, he'll use their facilities. If not, he can go for an i7.

I agree, Dual-Core is practically obsolete, but that doesn't make six-core CPUs relevant. I say go with an i5 4460 and a 950, if I'm honest. Schools are supposed to facilitate clubs anyway, he'll use their facilities. If not, he can go for an i7.

there was no reason for a 950 because I gave him the gpu, and the i5 was significantly more expensive when it comes to platform costs

•