MSI GTX 970 Low Performance

Shadow Gamer

Since I first got the MSI GTX 970, I've been having performance issues with it. That was on my AMD mobo. When I switched to an intel mobo(No clean install) the problem persisted. Yesterday, I got around to finally reinstalling windows to fix the problem, however, I am experiencing the exact same issues. I've read many forums and posts about people having issues with the GTX 970: would a reinstall of the Nvidia drivers without Geforce Experience be the best option? I use Shadowplay often and I would really hate to loose it. 

there is other recording solutions just as good as shadow play

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Since I first got the MSI GTX 970, I've been having performance issues with it. That was on my AMD mobo. When I switched to an intel mobo(No clean install) the problem persisted. Yesterday, I got around to finally reinstalling windows to fix the problem, however, I am experiencing the exact same issues. I've read many forums and posts about people having issues with the GTX 970: would a reinstall of the Nvidia drivers without Geforce Experience be the best option? I use Shadowplay often and I would really hate to loose it.

What exactly is your issue? What are the rest of your specs?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What exactly is your issue? What are the rest of your specs?

Low GPU usage and performance, roughly 60% of normal FPS compared to other machines with the exact same specs. i5-4460+MSI GTX 970 and Corsair CX 500M. 

Low GPU usage and performance, roughly 60% of normal FPS compared to other machines with the exact same specs. i5-4460+MSI GTX 970 and Corsair CX 500M. 

Temps, and what games?

Oh, and inb4 "don't get Corsair CX", since people are going to be flipshitting in a few seconds.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Temps, and what games?

Oh, and inb4 "don't get Corsair CX", since people are going to be flipshitting in a few seconds.

can a 500w handle the 4460+970? 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Your issue with Low FPS, is either a bottleneck, Vsync is on in games.. or most likely: your ram isn't in duel channel

Temps, and what games?

Every single game I run it on. This includes Planetside 2, Dirty Bomb, Battlefield 4, etc. All on highest settings, 1080p. Vsync off. There is a difference when switching from ingame vsync on to ingame vsync off, so it's not a forced vsync problem. 

My system draws roughly 350-400 Watts(Theoretically, using PCPartPicker). 

Yeah, I know about CX backlash. Come at me bros :D

Your issue with Low FPS, is either a bottleneck, Vsync is on in games.. or most likely: your ram isn't in duel channel

No bottleneck, Vsync is off(including forced vsync), ram is in dual channel. It's a Nvidia driver problem, many people have expressed it. 

Edit:

My friend has i5-4440 + gtx 960 with latest drivers and he gets two times as much FPS as I do. 

What are your synthetic benchmark scores? Are they where they should be?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

What are your synthetic benchmark scores? Are they where they should be?

Haven't run benchmarks yet but I will start downloading those right away.

Start with the Valley benchmark, it's only GPU intensive. If you score where you should in Valley then it's ether memory or CPU.

Start with the Valley benchmark, it's only GPU intensive. If you score where you should in Valley then it's ether memory or CPU.

I'll go get valley after 3DMark is done downloading. 

3DMark results are in: they are appropriate. The entire system performs as it should: The score is only 200 less than a Oculus Rift recommended PC, and that is because the cpu is slightly better in the oculus rift. Going to do Valley now.  

(Exact score was 9037)

3DMark results are in: they are appropriate. The entire system performs as it should: The score is only 200 less than a Oculus Rift recommended PC, and that is because the cpu is slightly better in the oculus rift. Going to do Valley now.  

(Exact score was 9037)

Hmm, if you score anything over 55fps in Valley as an average you should be good GPU wise. So at least there's some good news there.

what cpu do you have? also try removing older drivers with DDU and reinstalling the latest

The site has changed....

Hmm, if you score anything over 55fps in Valley as an average you should be good GPU wise. So at least there's some good news there.

I got 103 FPS as average and a score of 4316. 1080p, no AA and High quality. That's significantly lower than it's supposed to be since I ran it on High settings and got a lower score than another person who ran their 970 on Ultra settings. 

what cpu do you have? also try removing older drivers with DDU and reinstalling the latest

i5-4460. No bottleneck because my friend's system has a i5-4440 and a gtx 960 and he gets 2x more frames than me with the same settings. 

I got 103 FPS as average and a score of 4316. 1080p, no AA and High quality. That's significantly lower than it's supposed to be since I ran it on High settings and got a lower score than another person who ran their 970 on Ultra settings. 

Run Extreme HD, only way to know if you're in line with other systems or not.

Run Extreme HD, only way to know if you're in line with other systems or not.

On Extreme HD I got 55.7 FPS and a score of 2332. 

On Extreme HD I got 55.7 FPS and a score of 2332. 

That's about average. Little low but within a margin of error. What slot are you in on the MOBO?

That's about average. Little low but within a margin of error. What slot are you in on the MOBO?

Top slot. Looked in GPU-Z, PCI-E 3.0 16x

Hmm, that sucks. You could make sure you have the latest version of DDU I would switch to it and try one last time. The latest version of DDU is targeted at Nividia.

Hmm, that sucks. You could make sure you have the latest version of DDU I would switch to it and try one last time. The latest version of DDU is targeted at Nividia.

Do you want me to reinstall Nvidia drivers? Or reinstall to a earlier version? I've done a complete reinstall of the system but not a driver fallback.