Motherboard-GPU compatibility issue

J_DeMan

Background:

I've been helping my brother upgrade his pre-built hp PC. He got a 960 to replace his HD 6770.

Hardware:

Issue:

The with the new card the system can not boot into windows or bios; it displays the hp flash screen and then will move to a static system information screen if any key is pressed. The old card still works fine in the system.

What I've tried:

• 960 works in a different system
  • updated motherboard bios to latest (2011)
  • boot to bootable Arch linux drive (no change in issue)

My conclusion:

Because of the nature of the issue and that to my knowledge the 960 requires less power than the old 6770 I believe the ganky hp motherboard does not support the newer 960.

Main Question:

Does the motherboard seem like a plausible reason for the issue? Have you ever run into this?

Thank you and tell me if you need any more info or have suggestions.

if the mobo would've not supported the 960, it would've not posted

my guess is the issue is somewhere else entirely; have you tried with a different PSU, preferably a newer one

my guess is the issue is somewhere else entirely; have you tried with a different PSU, preferably a newer one

Cringe warning. I put mine and my brothers systems next to each other and plugged my PSU(750W) into the 960 and turned both on at the same time. It had the same issue.

I'll have more time with the system soon so, I will try swapping it completely with my 750W one.

Tried a full PSU swap (750W). Same results with old card(worked) and new card(didn't work). :(

With old card installed, check BIOS for any PCI-e or Internal/External Graphics related options.
Sometimes OEM's add some tech to "increase PCI-e performance" by tweaking it, and by doing so they go over the specs of the PCI-e port.
After U save the settings on old card, they should work after a new card swap as well (if new BIOS settings were indeed saved).

If above method won't work, U can always connect monitor direcly to MB to see if Windows even detects the new card (iGPU are quite useful in these kinds of situations).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Does the 960 work in your PC?

If it doesn't, maybe the 960 is faulty?