Avast Antivirus Free

I finally switched over to Avast Antivirus (free edition) from Norton Internet Security 2013 due to the overwhelming amount of forum users who said Norton is crap :D Tbh I haven't noticed any difference in PC performance and it doesn't seem to be any faster after removing Norton.

My question: is Avast antivirus enough or are there any other programs that I need to ensure that my PC remains 100% virus-free? e.g. should I download a free third party firewall or do I use the integrated Windows firewall?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

A free antivirus and the win firewall should be enough in most cases. It helps if you're a bit careful when you browse the net.

If you want to go bananas on the net with no fear what so ever try Sandboxie on your browser (nothing will be able to enter your computer without your permission)

| Lenovo ThinkPad E530 -- I5-3210M -- Nvidia 630M -- 4GB RAM -- 840 EVO 120GB SSD |

I've been using Avast for more than a decade now and so far I've (as far as I know) never had a virus.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

Windows Firewall should be enough. I'm running the same softwares but I've also bought Malware Anti-Malware PRO to run along side Avast! but I don't think it's necessary. As long as you're careful with what you're downloading and browsing, you shouldn't have a problem.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

I finally switched over to Avast Antivirus (free edition) from Norton Internet Security 2013 due to the overwhelming amount of forum users who said Norton is crap :D Tbh I haven't noticed any difference in PC performance and it doesn't seem to be any faster after removing Norton.

My question: is Avast antivirus enough or are there any other programs that I need to ensure that my PC remains 100% virus-free? e.g. should I download a free third party firewall or do I use the integrated Windows firewall?

So your saying...u switched because people said it was crap...and yet u havent noticed any crappiness? Interesting.

I use it and its perfect (99.9%). some false positives, maybe once every few months, but its great.

If u wanna use a free antivirus, use Microsoft security essentials, its the best free one. 

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Bitdefender is the most secure anti virus you Can get for private use, though for free anti virus Avast is the king.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Bitdefender is the most secure anti virus you Can get for private use, though for free anti virus Avast is the king.

I've heard great things about Kaspersky, never tried it though

I've been running Avast Free for ages now. I really like it and recommend it to everybody who still pays (yearly) licenses for crappy antivirus. Though i don't like the recent changes that it made with the commercial messages that show up in the bottom right corner of your screen about VPN and securing your phone.

I'm liking Avast so far :) Do you think Norton was the reason why my hard disk kept making thrashing noises and my PC would behave sluggishly sometimes? I haven't encountered any slowdowns since removing Norton but that could be just because I haven't used it long enough yet

BitDefender and Kaspersky are certainly the top ones when it comes to detection rates and overall protection.

In BitDefender's case it actually virtualises the OS(it's like running it in a virtual box) in order to get all of the permissions from the hardware and so it can overwrite anything a very good virus might want to do. I know it sounds very performance degrading (and it is) but it's also the most safe. It's not really recommended for gamers. But, on the other hand people working on very sensitive data usually consider the trade-off more than worth it.

I don't know about Kaspersky's method.

| Lenovo ThinkPad E530 -- I5-3210M -- Nvidia 630M -- 4GB RAM -- 840 EVO 120GB SSD |

Just another quick question: what do you think of this article and the recommendation that you should uninstall all antivirus programs since they slow down your PC:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/proof-that-antivirus-software-makes-your-pc-crawl/327

That article is from 2006. Antivirus software has changed immensely since then and that article is not relevant any more.

That article is from 2006. Antivirus software has changed immensely since then and that article is not relevant any more.

But will Norton still do that?

But will Norton still do that?

No. I have actually been using Norton for over a year and it has not slowed any of my systems. You even said that you didn't notice a difference between Norton and Avast. Norton was horrible several years back but they have since completely redone their software and it doesn't slow systems anymore.

No. I have actually been using Norton for over a year and it has not slowed any of my systems. You even said that you didn't notice a difference between Norton and Avast. Norton was horrible several years back but they have since completely redone their software and it doesn't slow systems anymore.

So you would choose Norton over Avast?

So you would choose Norton over Avast?

Me personally, yes. But, that is only because I get it for free from my ISP.

Me personally, yes. But, that is only because I get it for free from my ISP.

Why does everyone say it's crap then?

Avast is the best anti-virus for normal people, period, there is no argument.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Avast is the best anti-virus for normal people, period, there is no argument.

Normal people? xD

Normal people? xD

Like general users ;p

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Like general users ;p

What makes it better than Norton Internet Security 2013?

What makes it better than Norton Internet Security 2013?

Norton hogs allot of resources.

Norton hogs allot of resources.

I thought that was just in the old days

I thought that was just in the old days

Lol no, it still does, less than it used to but its still loaded with crap.... no reason to use norton when something like Avast is around.

Why pay for something when there is a free option available which is arguably better in every way? :P