Wi-if speed issues

Pugsicle

So my brother is having some speed issues on wi-if and I am not sure why. The router is located in my room across the hose but it's only about 40 to 50 ft away and have never had issues in that room before. What I get on hard wire is 40 up and 5 down while he is getting 1 up and down. He is using a wi-if adapter that I got off of amazon for 15 bucks. Could that be the issue? I'm not sure what else it would be.

what is the adapter brand and model?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If it is a usb adapter, probably. I had one that was like $25 or something and got similar results. (Currently using my old laptop to bridge a wifi connection because yolo)

$15 USB wifi adapters are no where near as powerful as the wifi card integrated in laptops

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

$15 USB wifi adapters are no where near as powerful as the wifi card integrated in laptops

would an integrated w-if card in his pic have the same effects?

would an integrated w-if card in his pic have the same effects?

a PCIe wifi card would be much more powerful, if you buy a good quality one of course

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

a PCIe wifi card would be much more powerful, if you buy a good quality one of course

Which ones are good quality?