One Week Until 12th Place Folding! (PC Games Hardware Overtake)

@spaiduhz what did you think the points were for...?

They mean nothing to me. All that matters is that through our efforts, we are advancing medical research. Folding to get points that ultimately do nothing seems silly if you disregard that fact.

They mean nothing to me. All that matters is that through our efforts, we are advancing medical research. Folding to get points that ultimately do nothing seems silly if you disregard that fact.

Yes, but they don't "ultimately do nothing".  

The point system serves a purpose which you imply, but fail to recognize (or, if recognized, didn't mention): more PPD advances the medical research faster.  The higher PPD for quicker turn around reflects the larger benefits central command gets from being able to move to the next stage in the folding projects. More=better (in this case).

As such, it also serves as a feedback mechanism so that we can better decide where our best efforts should be directed.  

With limited resources, but a number of possible hardware configurations, what is the best way to use the hardware I have available and the money I am willing to spend (on power, and maybe new hardware)?  I.e. what configuration generates the most PPD?.  

Whether they have given too much weight or not enough weight to the points they award for various performance levels, does not change the fact that the only tool I have to determine whether or not I have the best setup I can muster, is their points awarded.  Absent that, I am "folding in the dark", to abuse an overused, but appropriate, idiom.

Just my 2 1/2 cents (inflation :D)

- Pete

Folding For Linus since July 2015