Home media server. Buy vs. Build

KWelz

I was going to head to Microcenter tonight to get the parts to build a small itunes media and file storage server to replace my current one.   

However while perusing the site I came across this Shuttle.  

http://www.microcenter.com/product/455789/XPC_SH67H3_Windows_7_Professional_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished

Very middling specs but the price for what you get seems pretty good.  Especially since this is going to be used only for file storage and to run itunes.   

The downside of course is that I miss out on the fun of building.  

Thoughts on the system.  Anything I am missing here?

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

If it's just file storage and Itunes, I'm pretty sure you can do this on a raspberry pi using KODI.  I haven't tried it myself, but google comes up with some hits.

The whole "Home Media" pre-built market seems to be dying off for a reason.

I was going to head to Microcenter tonight to get the parts to build a small itunes media and file storage server to replace my current one.   

However while perusing the site I came across this Shuttle.  

http://www.microcenter.com/product/455789/XPC_SH67H3_Windows_7_Professional_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished

Very middling specs but the price for what you get seems pretty good.  Especially since this is going to be used only for file storage and to run itunes.   

The downside of course is that I miss out on the fun of building.  

Thoughts on the system.  Anything I am missing here?

Well the one major downside: Warranty. The PC has a 90 warranty.

Your individual parts for a custom-built will have varying warranties, from 1-year to 5-years (Or in some cases, possibly Lifetime, such as some RAM).

I would also question the suitability of a Shuttle case for a file server. How many HDD's does it support? How's the airflow and ventilation? How many SATA ports does it have?

For a file server, you're going to want, at minimum, 2x HDD's for a RAID1 mirrored array. Ideally you'd have at least 3x drives (1x for OS, 2x for RAID1 array).

And that's only if you want to use a RAID1 array. Forget about doing a RAID5/6/10/RAIDZ array inside that box. I doubt it has enough HDD bays.

But I could be wrong :) The specs don't specify.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If it's just file storage and Itunes, I'm pretty sure you can do this on a raspberry pi using KODI.  I haven't tried it myself, but google comes up with some hits.

The whole "Home Media" pre-built market seems to be dying off for a reason.

One word: NAS. "Home Servers" were a thing for a while, especially when Microsoft pandered to the crowd with the original Windows Home Server v1. It had great features for the time. They came out with Windows Home Server 2011 (v2), which had better modern compatibility, but in some ways was even less feature filled. After that, they scrapped the entire WHS OS.

NAS appliances have taken that segment of the market for most users. A single box you can buy that just kind of "works" for most users. Very easy to configure and setup. Easy to expand the storage with larger HDD's (Or with the bigger units, by adding disks).

Custom building an actual home server is reserved for us tech enthusiasts who have the time and knowledge to delve into it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The only reason I can't go with a pure NAS is that we use Apple TV to stream most of our content.  And I have 1.5TB of movies and you can't stream them from a NAS sadly. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

The only reason I can't go with a pure NAS is that we use Apple TV to stream most of our content.  And I have 1.5TB of movies and you can't stream them from a NAS sadly. 

Honestly, I'd ditch the Apple TV for a Roku 3 or WD Live TV. The only reason you'd stick with Apple TV is Airplay. The Apple TV has a ton of limitations that make it a pretty shitty streaming device.

But in terms of using that Shuttle PC, please think about all the possible limitations I've listed in regards to HDD capacity. Building your own might cost more, but it'll be more capable, and the warranty will be A LOT LOT LOT better.

Warranty I had not thought about and is a very good point.  

Honestly we prefer the Apple TVs to any of the others we have tried and all of our digital purchased movies has been through iTunes so they make the most sense.  

Warranty I had not thought about and is a very good point.  

Honestly we prefer the Apple TVs to any of the others we have tried and all of our digital purchased movies has been through iTunes so they make the most sense.  

Ah, well I personally never liked the idea of digitally purchasing movies/TV series, since every service has DRM. You buy from iTunes, you have to play it via an Apple device or through iTunes.

I always buy Blu-Ray then rip my own digital copies :P

In your case, I advise building your own custom built server. Get a nice case - even ITX or mATX is fine. Make sure it has enough HDD bays for at least 3x drives (Ideally, you'd install the OS on a small SSD, and then RAID1 a couple of large HDD's - say, 4TB drives).

~snip~

Hey there KWelz,

A few words from me: it depends on if you want the option of upgradeability and expansion of the storage space. I'd consider how much storage space you'd need, what performance you'd want from this and then see what are the capabilities of this computer. 

I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud and see if that NAS can meet your needs and budget: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PBmvIj

Overall, I would still go for the initial plan with your own custom build. :) That shoudl be more fun, last longer, have more upgrade-ability options and have longer warranty. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

That was the original plan.  And what I think I am going back to.   

I already have a couple 240Gb SSds at home for the OS.   pretty sure I have an install left on my Win7 license and I have Two 3Tb and four 4TB that are currently in external enclosures but that I want to put internal.   

So back to that plan.   Mid ranged intel 1150 based system.  

~snip~

sounds good!

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/