Cat cable

Joveice
Go to solution Solved by Razarza,

Hello, I have as a task from my school to find what wires in a Cat cable is in use over normal Internet?

Cat cable? You mean like a Cat5 UTP cable for data transfer?

Cat5/e, 6 and 7 have 4 pairs of 2 wires for a total of 8 wires.

Here is a stripped Cat5e cable before the spine has been cut off.

The Green and Orange pair will be used for data transfer for 100Mbps but if connected to a 1Gbps Ethernet port the Blue and Brown pair will be used as well to reach 1Gbps.

Only Cat5e and above can do PoE and Gbit.

With PoE the power will be sent along the same wires as data transfer and do not interfere with each other because the frequencies are so far apart.

As a note you can do Gigabit with cat5 but it isn't really recommended, you should be using at least cat5e if you are planning on using Gigabit Ethernet.

Hello, I have as a task from my school to find what wires in a Cat cable is in use over normal Internet?

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

Moved to Networking.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

cat5e for 1 gigabit network and under

cat6a for higher and better rate bandiwth, ie: 2/4/10 gigabit on 100m cable

The Green and Orange pair will be used for data transfer for 100Mbps but if connected to a 1Gbps Ethernet port the Blue and Brown pair will be used as well to reach 1Gbps.

With PoE the power will be sent along the same wires as data transfer and do not interfere with each other because the frequencies are so far apart.

As a note you can do Gigabit with cat5 but it isn't really recommended, you should be using at least cat5e if you are planning on using Gigabit Ethernet.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Most ISP's provide a Cat 5e in the box.  Probably that's the answer?  Most people never bother replacing those.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Thank you, this is what i where looking for :)

Thank you, this is what i where looking for :)

No problem, if you having any other questions about UTP I should be able to answer them.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

No problem, if you having any other questions about UTP I should be able to answer them.

:) maby later, im on this electric school in Norway and its the first year :3 next year im going for Computer Engineer