Hi all, looking for a reliable laptop with best CPU, GPU, and color accurate 1080p display for about $1000

Do not care about anything else

Looking at the Asus ROG GL552VW-DH71 right now, but poor reliabiliy at launch based on user reviews.

Should I just give it time?

I've also heard the 14nm process for gpus is expected to double GPU performance in 2016 for the same card equivalent. Would this translate to mobile as well?

Should I just give it even more time?  :P

Thanks in advance.

Avoid Asus - The GL552 is quite bad - poor build quality, poor cooling, awful support

Lenovo Y50/Y700
Dell Inspiron 15
MSI GE62/72
or a Clevo which @D2ultima can suggest.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

What's it for?

For what I use a laptop for, a Surface is best

What's it for?

For what I use a laptop for, a Surface is best

I want to be able to do some (relatively light) madvr upscaling and SVP frame interpolation on a laptop. Not going to use it for gaming, but similar horsepower is required.

I want to be able to do some (relatively light) madvr upscaling and SVP frame interpolation on a laptop. Not going to use it for gaming, but similar horsepower is required.

tbh, the longer you can wait, the more performance you'll get.

Also better batteries. I can't do without at least a 6-hour battery.

Also better batteries. I can't do without at least a 6-hour battery.

Thanks but honestly battery isn't that big a deal to me, I'll almost always be plugged in where ever I go. It just needs to be portable.

Avoid Asus - The GL552 is quite bad - poor build quality, poor cooling, awful support

One thing though - While all the user reviews agree with you, the professional reviews seem to hold up the cooling and build quality as decent...

One thing though - While all the user reviews agree with you, the professional reviews seem to hold up the cooling and build quality as decent...

I was considering that model - a Bulgarian reviewer saved me from it by saying what I told you and illustrating by showing how easily it bends.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's because ASUS probably sends reviewers and people with some clout very good models they've actually tested.

MANY users get broken machines that have USB ports on one side not working, or degrading cooling performance after a year, or all sorts of random crap going on in them. And ASUS RMA has been known to "fix" machines and give back pre-broken machines, possibly using parts from previous returns in "fixing", resulting in chains of broken machines for many users. It's called "ASUS RMA hell". It's why while I acknowledge their cooling in their top end models, their anti-consumer crap, terrible service and high chance for a machine to just be broken prevents me from ever recommending one to anyone, unless there's literally nothing else possible with a shred of quality in it.

Hi all, looking for a reliable laptop with best CPU, GPU, and color accurate 1080p display for about $1000

Do not care about anything else

I've also heard the 14nm process for gpus is expected to double GPU performance in 2016 for the same card equivalent. Would this translate to mobile as well?

Should I just give it even more time?  :P

Thanks in advance.

Your budget is the problem here. I think the N155RD or N170RD is probably the best bet with the IPS panel, but $1000 USD is a very large limiting factor. It even is for desktops, considering all the peripherals like a monitor/keyboard/mouse/sound/etc needed for a fully working machine.

14nm process for GPUs can double all it wants; the issue is what cards go into mobile and how hot they will be. Maxwell is unnaturally cool; so much so that it's likely to never be matched by a later GPU architecture. We may find things like shoving a desktop 980 into a laptop won't happen with Pascal; who knows. It doesn't affect any laptop you'll be able to buy now though, since their GPUs will all be soldered with your budget.

N155RD

N170RD

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday