Will the lack of a numpad restrict me from playing certain games?

Zyre

I am planning on getting myself my very first Mechanical Keyboard. So my budget isn't low and restricts me to the Quickfire TK.

What I wanted to talk about is numpad. For the same price I'll be able to get myself the Quickfire Rapid. I really like the look of this keyboard because it has white lighting and overall it looks very simple.

This keyboard doesn't come with a num pad trough.

So I have played games that make use of the num pad extensively. Let's say I go with the Rapid. Will this cause issues in which I won't be able to play certain games?

I play all kinds of games, not just shooters.

I hope someone can help me out.

Well...

Some games, yes.

A lot of the games in particular that I play use the number pad for ancillary controls, and I can't exactly remap it to other keys because the keyboards already pretty much fully mapped lol.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I don't particularly see many games that really make use of the numpad. If the game does, most likely you will be better off with a controller instead of using the keyboard.

Well, if the game in question requires a number pad, then the answer is yes, you will not be able to play it. The keboard physically does not have a number pad.

If you don't mind not being able to play those games, then I would say go for it. But if you play those games on a frequent basis, then I would continue to save money until you can afford a keyboard with a number pad.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

Okay so there might be a chance that I can't play certain games that use the numpad.

I really really like the look of the Rapid. The simple black and white backlight makes me so moist (joke). I don't really like the Quickfire TK because of the RED backlight.

Does anyone know if there is another mechanical keyboard that is just black and with white backlight for under €100 with a numpad?

I just found out that the Quickfire TK is also available in white backlight. It looks so good, but it's MX Brown trough.

The only game I can think of that uses it as part of its main control is Arma 2. Arma 3 does use it a little bit for camera resetting but most people don't use it. There aren't a lot of games that use it.

Back then when I played Dota on Warcraft 3 I used the num pad a lot. Now that I don't have WC3/Dota anymore I personally find the num pad to be unnecessary for gaming.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Back then when I played Dota on Warcraft 3 I used the num pad a lot. Now that I don't have WC3/Dota anymore I personally find the num pad to be unnecessary for gaming.

I'm a pretty casual gamer. I play all kinds of games. From shooters to RPG's, RTS. I did play Dota 2 for a bit but eventually stopped playing it.

I also like playing MMO's sometime. I own Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic trough I haven't played them in months.

I'm a pretty casual gamer. I play all kinds of games. From shooters to RPG's, RTS. I did play Dota 2 for a bit but eventually stopped playing it.

I also like playing MMO's sometime. I own Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic trough I haven't played them in months.

I'm a casual gamer too. I just haven't played a game that would require the numpad since WC3. :o 

Although it is very useful when typing homework or writing a report.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

I'm a casual gamer too. I just haven't played a game that would require the numpad since WC3. :o

Although it is very useful when typing homework or writing a report.

Currently I'm on a Logitech K200. When I plan on getting my new keyboard, then I'll keep the K200 for when something breaks. 

Maybe this changes the decision? Still unsure hah :(

I have seen some games use the Numpad for things like flying an aircraft.

Personally, I use the Numpad whenever I need to make spreadsheets or use a Calculator, so a TKL isn't an option for me in the first place. Currently, I am intending to buy the QuickFire TK at some point in the future, as it fits the bill of having a Numpad while being smaller than a full-size keyboard.

Another option would be buying an external Numpad, such as http://amzn.com/B000MGBPNI or http://amzn.com/B00O4F4QIY . For my use case, those wouldn't really work because I do use the Numpad frequently, so I would pretty much have the Numpad on my desk, connected  to my PC at all times, defeating the purpose of having it be external in the first place.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Garry's mod relies heavily on the numpad. As do many flying sims and RTS games.

But I don't know of any recent AAA title that uses the numpad.