My PC loses the C drive when I put the side panel on.

Chris935

My PC is trolling me.

Booting into BIOS instead of windows because no boot device is detected, but it does see my media storage drive. Take side panel off, swap SATA data cable from media drive to boot SSD, system boots fine, so clearly it's a cable or SATA port issue. Put cables back, reseat data cables for boot SSD, and the system boots, yay. Put side panel back on, windows freezes and reboots back into BIOS to tell me there's no boot device. Take side panel off to fix it, works fine, close PC, broken again.

AAragh! I'm typing this with the side panel off because I daren't put it back on.

Do I just need a new SATA cable?

Edited by Godlygamer23

you need cable management. thats what you need.

/\

I don't really see how the sata ports are messing with the side panel, check all the sata cables and see if any of them have the actual possibility to interfere with the side panel, if you cant really tell anything then maybe your sata cable needs to be replaced.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

Gotta be the case pushing on the drive or connector and causing loss of contact. If it's a straight connector in the drive end use a 90 degree bend cable on the drive side. or mod the case so it takes pressure off.

I think it most likely is the fact that the side panel is grabbing the sata cable unplugging it.

Don't trust this maniac, I think he is a crazed tech addict on the loose.

Specs: none

Will upgrade l8r.

I don't really see how the sata ports are messing with the side panel, check all the sata cables and see if any of them have the actual possibility to interfere with the side panel, if you cant really tell anything then maybe your sata cable needs to be replaced.

Post a pic of how it looks? maybe we can get a better idea if something is snagging that way.

EDIT: oops, quoted the wrong person. oh well....

When in doubt, re-format.

Post a pic of how it looks? maybe we can get a better idea if something is snagging that way.

EDIT: oops, quoted the wrong person. oh well....

xD

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

~snip~

Hey there Chris935 :)

I'd back up everything from the drive just to be on the safe side until you verify that it is healthy. I would make sure that the panel doesn't touch any of the cables and it is not interfering with the connections inside. I'd also test the drive with other cables and other ports and possibly on another system. I'd also run a diagnostic tool to check the drive's health and make sure it is fine. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't currently think it's the SATA port, but that's where I was when I swapped the cable from the working drive that was plugged into SATA 2 into the drive that wasn't working (which had been on SATA 1), and then it worked. They're both working now, but the side is off.  :) It isn't the SATA power causing the issue, the media drive power is daisy chained off the boot drive power so neither would work if it was that.

I should probably have mentioned that my boot drive is an 850 Pro and my media drive is a 2.5" WD black from my old laptop. Both are on the rear motherboard tray mounts in my Fractal R5. I installed a new HDD in the drive cage to use for backup and while I was there decided to run all the cables necessary to fill the bottom drive cage in the future and add an ODD if needed.

It's likely just strain on the cable. The cabling is all a bit tight given that my PSU blocks some of the bottom hole and the GPU overhangs a lot of the middle hole. I'll pull some slack into both sides of the cable and see how it goes.

Boot SSD is backed up. :)

Chris

I moved the data cable to the underside of the power cable so the power was the one in contact with the side panel and I also pushed some of the slack from the rear tray through to the main area of the PC so the bend into the SATA port isn't as tight.

All seems fine now, side panel back on and PC working.

Chris

~snip~

Glad to see it fixed! It is always a good idea to manage your cables in such way that they are not under strain or in contact to other parts so you avoid such problems. 
Post back if you have the problem reoccur or encounter something else. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

solved?

solved?

I believe so :)