GTA V graphics glitch... need help.

nj4ck

I just tried playing GTA V again after I hadn't been playing for a few weeks, and now I have this weird issue:

6viP1T2.jpg

As you can see, there's something very wrong with the graphics, only a small portion of the screen seems to be rendering normal.

Here's another screenshot:

Q3D1UYa.jpg

This is how it starts, with about half the screen affected, then it quickly spreads until it looks like this:

eOo9oAu.png

And finally like the first screenshot, with only a tiny corner of the screen not affected. 

This happens almost instantly when I jump into the game, usually within the first 3 minutes of gameplay. 

I have tried the following:

1. Disabled overclocks on my GPU

2. Flipped the BIOS switch back to the stock BIOS on my R9 290 (was running a 390X bios with modified memory timings)

4. Restored the game from a backup of the game folder I had made before I started modding, it is now unmodded

5. Lowered shadow settings 

None of this helped. Is anyone else having this issue? The only other possible cause I can come up with are the new Crimson drivers, so I'll have to try reverting to catalyst, which I am hesitant to do because google doesn't show any other users reporting this issue.

I can definitely confirm that it is not a hardware issue, my GPU runs all other games just fine.

Any suggestions/ideas?

I just tried playing GTA V again after I hadn't been playing for a few weeks, and now I have this weird issue:

As you can see, there's something very wrong with the graphics, only a small portion of the screen seems to be rendering normal.

Here's another screenshot:

This is how it starts, with about half the screen affected, then it quickly spreads until it looks like this:

And finally like the first screenshot, with only a tiny corner of the screen not affected. 

This happens almost instantly when I jump into the game, usually within the first 3 minutes of gameplay. 

I have tried the following:

1. Disabled overclocks on my GPU

2. Flipped the BIOS switch back to the stock BIOS on my R9 290 (was running a 390X bios with modified memory timings)

4. Restored the game from a backup of the game folder I had made before I started modding, it is now unmodded

5. Lowered shadow settings 

None of this helped. Is anyone else having this issue? The only other possible cause I can come up with are the new Crimson drivers, so I'll have to try reverting to catalyst, which I am hesitant to do because google doesn't show any other users reporting this issue.

I can definitely confirm that it is not a hardware issue, my GPU runs all other games just fine.

Any suggestions/ideas?

You ran a 390X BIOS on your 290? Was it an unlocked 290? What difference did it make to the card?

Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

try to validate your GTA V files, or contact rockstar

EDIT:

Found people with the excact same problem

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611704730330985910/

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203388758-GTA-V-PC-Textures-turning-all-black-after-alt-tabbing-

Just to be sure, you didnt pirate it? because some games use these "glitches" as DRM

If you didnt, check so that you are online when launching it

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

did you try another save game? try it with restoring the ingame setting to default and try it with another save game/start a new story mode

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

You ran a 390X BIOS on your 290? Was it an unlocked 290? What difference did it make to the card?

Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

It's a modified BIOS from a 390X made specifically for the 290. Gives it tighter memory timings, gave me 3-5 extra FPS in most benchmarks/games. You can find it over on overclocked.net.

In regards to reinstalling, that's what I'd normally do... but sine that would mean that I'd have to go through the full 60GB download again (I'm temporarily stuck on a 5Mb/s connection until january), I'd rather keep that as a last resort.

It's a modified BIOS from a 390X made specifically for the 290. Gives it tighter memory timings, gave me 3-5 extra FPS in most benchmarks/games. You can find it over on overclocked.net.

In regards to reinstalling, that's what I'd normally do... but sine that would mean that I'd have to go through the full 60GB download again (I'm temporarily stuck on a 5Mb/s connection until january), I'd rather keep that as a last resort.

Are there any other benefits? What do you mean by tighter memory timings? Less variation?

And I think that's the best solution, honestly.

Oh, which side of the switch on my 290 is the secondary BIOS? Or does it matter? I'm probably going to flash it lol.

try to validate your GTA V files, or contact rockstar

EDIT:

Found people with the excact same problem

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611704730330985910/

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203388758-GTA-V-PC-Textures-turning-all-black-after-alt-tabbing-

Just to be sure, you didnt pirate it? because some games use these "glitches" as DRM

If you didnt, check so that you are online when launching it

It's not the same exact issue, mine just started randomly while I was playing, I didn't alt+tab before. Also, none of the fixes suggested in those threads seem to help and I'm not running an old card like a 6950. 

Also yes, it is a legal copy.

Are there any other benefits? What do you mean by tighter memory timings? Less variation?

And I think that's the best solution, honestly.

Oh, which side of the switch on my 290 is the secondary BIOS? Or does it matter? I'm probably going to flash it lol.

TBH I'm not sure how the timings work, I simply noticed a slight performance boost after trying it. Although I also noticed that my card needed more voltage for the same overclock with the new BIOS, so where I could run my 1150/1400 OC on just +19mV on the stock BIOS, it needed +31mV on the modded one. My card is watercooled so that wasn't an issue for me, but for others it may be. The switch doesn't really matter, if your card has dual BIOS, it's simply two identical copies on both sides of the switch and you replace one with the modded BIOS while you keep the stock one on the other switch position. In case of problems, simply flip the switch back to the stock BIOS.

TBH I'm not sure how the timings work, I simply noticed a slight performance boost after trying it. Although I also noticed that my card needed more voltage for the same overclock with the new BIOS, so where I could run my 1150/1400 OC on just +19mV on the stock BIOS, it needed +31mV on the modded one. My card is watercooled so that wasn't an issue for me, but for others it may be. The switch doesn't really matter, if your card has dual BIOS, it's simply two identical copies on both sides of the switch and you replace one with the modded BIOS while you keep the stock one on the other switch position. In case of problems, simply flip the switch back to the stock BIOS.

Is this the right page? I'm really going to flash it now, just have to make sure:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1564219/r9-390x-bios-for-r9-290-290x-now-with-stock-and-modded-voltage-tables

And it still shows up as an R9 290 in GPU-Z and stuff right?

rje2yb.jpg

happen to me once on my gtx 670

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

Is this the right page? I'm really going to flash it now, just have to make sure:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1564219/r9-390x-bios-for-r9-290-290x-now-with-stock-and-modded-voltage-tables

And it still shows up as an R9 290 in GPU-Z and stuff right?

Yeah, that's the right page. It shows up as a "200 series" in GPU-Z, but it also shows up as having Hynix memory, even if you really have Elpida. 

OK guys, I think I fixed the issue. Turns out for some reason my game was set to run on DirectX 10.1, I switched it to 11 and now it's back to normal.

Yeah, that's the right page. It shows up as a "200 series" in GPU-Z, but it also shows up as having Hynix memory, even if you really have Elpida. 

Is there a guide on how to flash it? I don't want to screw it up, even if I have dual BIOS. Is the flashing process universal or do I need to do something specific for this?

Is there a guide on how to flash it? I don't want to screw it up, even if I have dual BIOS. Is the flashing process universal or do I need to do something specific for this?

Just read through the first post carefully. In the "Guides" section there's a part called "ATIFlash from DOS guide" - expand and read through it, it contains all the information you need to successfully flash the bios.

Just read through the first post carefully. In the "Guides" section there's a part called "ATIFlash from DOS guide" - expand and read through it, it contains all the information you need to successfully flash the bios.

Thanks! I am in the process of flashing it now.