Can't clear CMOS - No POST - MSI 970 Gaming

Go to solution Solved by iJarbus,

Have you tried using the clean CMOS buttons on the motherboard rather than playing with the battery, their should be something in your manual with how to it, it'll be something like a physical button or some pins to bridge. 

Hello all

Just got this motherboard yesterday, tried to overclock the ram (1600 - 1866) and bam! No post.

I've watched a few clear CMOS videos with shorting the battery, but it's not working. I've even replaced the battery!

Please help quickly, I just got this motherboard and I want to be able to use it...

Have you tried using the clean CMOS buttons on the motherboard rather than playing with the battery, their should be something in your manual with how to it, it'll be something like a physical button or some pins to bridge. 

And when/if you remove the battery, leave it for 10mins

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Found the CMOS jumper, shorted the pins for 5 seconds but still, No post! Is it possible I straight up killed my ram?

And when/if you remove the battery, leave it for 10mins

When I took the battery out, it was for like 5 seconds, so I'll try your method now

Found the CMOS jumper, shorted the pins for 5 seconds but still, No post! Is it possible I straight up killed my ram?

OK, I don't think so I've never heard of RAM OCing causing damage and certainly not at the pretty standard speeds you were trying to achieve. Are you getting any error messages, like beeping or codes if your motherboard has a display? Also maybe try different sticks of RAM by themselves in different slots just in case.

Also as I was taking the battery out, I tried to short it again. Except this time I saw really small spark between the pins, that is probably a good thing. Leaving the battery out for 10 mins now

Just pull out a stick of RAM then boot with one module you'll see a message saying something like"RAM has been changed" then you'll have the option to go into the bios. To be safe I always restore bios to default then save and exit then shut down and put my RAM sticks that I've taken out and turned on my PC again and change my bios settings to whatever it was before. I've messed up overclocks or settings a million times and this method has always worked

Also as I was taking the battery out, I tried to short it again. Except this time I saw really small spark between the pins, that is probably a good thing. Leaving the battery out for 10 mins now

Doesn't sound like a good thing

FUCK YEAAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA I tried iJarbus's method and also removed the battery for 10 minutes. I AM NOW IN THE BIOS AND CAN USE MY PC AGAIN!

Thanks so much everyone

FUCK YEAAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA I tried iJarbus's method and also removed the battery for 10 minutes. I AM NOW IN THE BIOS AND CAN USE MY PC AGAIN!

Thanks so much everyone

Awesome, glad to hear you got it sorted.

There isn't a way to mark solved for both answers, but thanks a lot Ninjajc01