PC Lags/Stutters After A While

J/C

Hey LTT members, this is an issue I've had for months now and still haven't found a fix for..

The Issue: After maybe 2 hours or so of using my computer it  starts to lag, including sound, games and windows itself. (I've noticed this issues happens quicker if I'm gaming or using the Adobe suite.)  Now I first thought this could have been my GPU throttling so I monitored it with GPU Z and MSI Afterburner, it seemed like it was a issue with my gpu where the utilization would drop to around 30... This was on my old GPU, I've had it for years and was upgrading soon anyways so I thought it would get fixed once I upgraded. Here I am now with my new gpu, and even a new power supply and this issue still occurs. (Old gpu GTX 650TI, Old psu CX430)

As Of Now: Now the gpu doesn't seem to be the culprit, nothing is... I can't seem to find ANYTHING wrong with my pc when this lag/stuttering happens, I've tried monitoring with many different types of software and can't find anything wrong. My gpu and cpu stay fairly cool under load and idle, and the usage is appropriate for the task I am doing. 

My System: I am running windows 10 64bit home. Practically all of my parts are fairly new upgrades including a ssd I upgraded only a few months ago, new gpu and psu, last week... Specs are posted below. (MAIN RIG)

What I've Tried: - Of course I've looked online... Found nothing. (gotten to the point where I had to actually go to the 2nd and 3rd pages in google  :P

- Changed psu, reinstall windows, changed gpu, installed windows on a separate drive, update drivers, run memtest 86 for a few cycles (no errors), change ram positions, set windows paging to "auto" so windows can manage/Tried custom options, and of course monitored the temps, usage and checked for viruses. 

Some Ideas I Have/ : - I've noticed that even though windows is installed on my ssd, it still requires my second hdd to run it... For example I go afk for a bit and the HDD shuts off, I try to open windows explorer but it doesn't load until I hear the second HDD turn on and I see the usage go up... This hard drive has never been formatted when I upgraded to my ssd this hdd it just "tagged" along, It even has some old windows files from windows 8.1, perhaps this is a issue? 

- Also I've never really "updated" my bios before and usually IMO you shouldn't unless something is REALLY wrong (like this...) or you really need some feature that's in the updated version. 

I could really use some help here: I've gotten really frustrated with this issue and honestly right now I'm completely stumped. Any help and advice would be useful because I'm out of ideas... Thanks.  :)  

TL;DR : please read if you'd like to help because Its hard to explain in a few sentences. sorry  :unsure:

UPDATE: **I may have found a fixed (changed ram slots), I'm not sure why but I haven't had stuttering after this yet. I'll need to do more testing before I can say its solved. **

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

If you are talking about the HTPC then it's probably your RAM.

I should have stated (updated now) this is my main rig, which is frustrating me even more. :(

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

Since it's your main PC then it could be that one of the programs you're using is causing a memory leak(you should also cheak for viruses and malware)

Since it's your main PC then it could be that one of the programs your are using is causing a memory leak.

perhaps, would there be a way to find out what? Now that I think about I do download the same programs every reinstall but I can't really think of anything that could cause it. 

I doubt its a memory related issue.  Does the stuttering only occur after the HDD has shut down?  Or will it happen before the HDD has time to shut off from non use?

When installing windows its always a good idea to disconnect all drives except the one you are installing the OS to, in order to keep windows from utilizing the other drives during install.

I doubt its a memory related issue.  Does the stuttering only occur after the HDD has shut down?  Or will it happen before the HDD has time to shut off from non use?

This is where I am stumped, this will happen even when the HDD is running as most of my programs and games are installed on that hard drive. That's why I don't think it could be a HDD problem, the only issue with the HDD is like stated when I go afk for a bit shuts off just takes a second or two to open windows explorer. (this is also strange because windows is installed on my ssd)

** I don't know if it'll work but maybe I can try reinstalling windows with the HDD unplugged, but I've tried so many reinstall I'm not sure if its going to be worth it **

This is where I am stumped, this will happen even when the HDD is running as most of my programs and games are installed on that hard drive. That's why I don't think it could be a HDD problem, the only issue with the HDD is like stated when I go afk for a bit shuts off just takes a second or two to open windows explore

I understand it happens even when its running, but does the issue come before the HDD has time to shut down, or after?  The reason I'm asking is if some critical files were placed onto the HDD during install, once it shuts down errors may occur, errors that simply spooling the drive back up may not solve.

I understand it happens even when its running, but does the issue come before the HDD has time to shut down, or after?  The reason I'm asking is if some critical files were placed onto the HDD during install, once it shuts down errors may occur, errors that simply spooling the drive back up may not solve.

I've actually thought that too and tried it yesterday and found out it didn't matter, before or after, I still got the same stuttering issues.

Have you tried using DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and re-installing?

I have, I used it when I upgraded to this gpu last week. 

Alright, figured I'd ask.  The GPU is pretty much eliminated as a culprit at this point seeing as you just replaced it with a newer model.

Go into your power options and change it so that the HDD doesn't ever spool down, just to rule that out once and for all too.   (If it turns out to make no difference you can always change it back)

I'd also keep task manager open to the process tab and keep a close eye on it for any processes that may start to use resources around the time the issues begin to occur.

Alright, figured I'd ask.  The GPU is pretty much eliminated as a culprit at this point seeing as you just replaced it with a newer model.

Go into your power options and change it so that the HDD doesn't ever spool down, just to rule that out once and for all too.   (If it turns out to make no difference you can always change it back)

I'd also keep task manager open to the process tab and keep a close eye on it for any processes that may start to use resources around the time the issues begin to occur.

alright I just changed it to never, I'll see today when I'm playing games if the problem still occurs. 

You're on the right track. 

You've already eliminated the GPU as a suspect, due to its replacement and new drivers having no effect.

PSU has also been eliminated since you've replaced with a capable unit and issue is still there.

HDD will soon be eliminated if the probelm still occurs with it constantly on.

So thats almost 3 components we've ruled out so far.  We will eventually get it narrowed down.   Once we've made sure the HDD isn't the culprit we can start looking at the RAM.

You've already eliminated the GPU as a suspect, due to its replacement and new drivers having no effect.

PSU has also been eliminated since you've replaced with a capable unit and issue is still there.

So thats almost 3 components we've ruled out so far.  We will eventually get it narrowed down.   Once we've made sure the HDD isn't the culprit we can start looking at the RAM.

yeah thanks for help, ill get back to you :)

Yeah I'm getting the same issue, just played a game for a bit had to restart twice to get rid of the problem. So I'm guessing HDD isn't the issue. I didn't notice anything odd processes either. 

RAM       Alright then, next I'd pull all the RAM except for one stick and try again.  If the issue is still there swap the remaining stick out for one of the others.  This will eliminate a faulty stick of RAM.  If the problem goes away, you need to run on the sticks one at a time to find the problem stick.  If the problem is still there we move on to the CPU. 

CPU       If its not the RAM either, that leaves only the MB and CPU.  Luckily, you have another LGA1155 CPU in your HTPC.  I'd pull that G860 out of the HTPC and put in in your rig.  If the problem still exists with the different CPU, then only thing left is the MB. 

MB        Not much we can do here if we've narrowed it down to the board.  Try updating the BIOS, and if that doesn't work I'd go ahead and RMA the board.

RAM       Alright then, next I'd pull all the RAM except for one stick and try again.  If the issue is still there swap the remaining stick out for one of the others.  This will eliminate a faulty stick of RAM.  If the problem goes away, you need to run on the sticks one at a time to find the problem stick.  If the problem is still there we move on to the CPU. 

CPU       If its not the RAM either, that leaves only the MB and CPU.  Luckily, you have another LGA1155 CPU in your HTPC.  I'd pull that G860 out of the HTPC and put in in your rig.  If the problem still exists with the different CPU, then only thing left is the MB. 

MB        Not much we can do here if we've narrowed it down to the board.  Try updating the BIOS, and if that doesn't work I'd go ahead and RMA the board.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow and get back to you, thanks for the help.

RAM Alright then, next I'd pull all the RAM except for one stick and try again. If the issue is still there swap the remaining stick out for one of the others. This will eliminate a faulty stick of RAM. If the problem goes away, you need to run on the sticks one at a time to find the problem stick. If the problem is still there we move on to the CPU.

CPU If its not the RAM either, that leaves only the MB and CPU. Luckily, you have another LGA1155 CPU in your HTPC. I'd pull that G860 out of the HTPC and put in in your rig. If the problem still exists with the different CPU, then only thing left is the MB.

MB Not much we can do here if we've narrowed it down to the board. Try updating the BIOS, and if that doesn't work I'd go ahead and RMA the board.

Hey I actually tried monitoring the situation again, (witch afterburner this time) and I found that for some reason... like my old gpu, the gpu usage dips down when this issue is occuring. I normally get around 55-70% usage when playing a game. (tested on CS:GO) But when this problem was occurring the usage dipped down to around 30-47%. (I thought this issue was gone after the gpu upgrade but I guess not.) Any ideas?, anything specific I should be monitoring?

Hey I actually tried monitoring the situation again, (witch afterburner this time) and I found that for some reason... like my old gpu, the gpu usage dips down when this issue is occuring. I normally get around 55-70% usage when playing a game. (tested on CS:GO) But when this problem was occurring the usage dipped down to around 30-47%. (I thought this issue was gone after the gpu upgrade but I guess not.) Any ideas?, anything specific I should be monitoring?

I haven't had an Nvidia card in a while, last 2 have been AMD, so I'm a bit out of the loop so to speak, but I do know its possible with some of their cards to set a target temp, and the card will do what it takes (throttling, etc.) to keep the temps close to the target temp.  

Try HWMonitor to watch the temps, utilization, and the clocks instead of afterburner and see if you notice anything. 

So...this is gonna sound a little weird...but unplug any Wireless card that you have.

Yeah, I know it doesn't seem right. I was having this issue as well. Maybe, at least. When I start up windows it lags for a while at the log-in screen. Then if I manage to get into windows after a little while windows start freezing up. First it is the window that has focus, then it is the window behind it, then the desktop, then I have to wait because nothing is responsive.

For some reason Windows 10 is having some issues with Wireless Peripherals right now. If you unplug your wireless card (do this while your system is off to avoid death), the system functions again. I assume this is related to a driver of some sort, but I haven't quite tracked the issue yet. Maybe we arent having the same issue, but if we are I am sure you will be happy to fix it as I was when I figured it out. I am posting a general topic now.

load a game onto your ssd. disconnect the HD from the system. run game. what happens?

look for a program called slimdrivers. run it. see if it finds any software update drivers your system is lacking.

WD blue drives pull up data slow.

So...this is gonna sound a little weird...but unplug any Wireless card that you have.

Yeah, I know it doesn't seem right. I was having this issue as well. Maybe, at least. When I start up windows it lags for a while at the log-in screen. Then if I manage to get into windows after a little while windows start freezing up. First it is the window that has focus, then it is the window behind it, then the desktop, then I have to wait because nothing is responsive.

For some reason Windows 10 is having some issues with Wireless Peripherals right now. If you unplug your wireless card (do this while your system is off to avoid death), the system functions again. I assume this is related to a driver of some sort, but I haven't quite tracked the issue yet. Maybe we arent having the same issue, but if we are I am sure you will be happy to fix it as I was when I figured it out. I am posting a general topic now.

I actually don't have any wireless cards, run on Ethernet using the default port on my motherboard. Ill keep you posted though

load a game onto your ssd. disconnect the HD from the system. run game. what happens?

look for a program called slimdrivers. run it. see if it finds any software update drivers your system is lacking.

WD blue drives pull up data slow.

I actually tried this earlier as well, didn't seem to help. I actually just updated windows right now, I doubt that's any help though. 

I have used one while setting it up for someone and now I want one even more!