PC Lags/Stutters After A While

J/C

I haven't had an Nvidia card in a while, last 2 have been AMD, so I'm a bit out of the loop so to speak, but I do know its possible with some of their cards to set a target temp, and the card will do what it takes (throttling, etc.) to keep the temps close to the target temp.  

Try HWMonitor to watch the temps, utilization, and the clocks instead of afterburner and see if you notice anything. 

I've actually read something about this on another forum, but it seems like my temp. is perfectly fine while gaming 60-68C usually. Ill keep you posted.

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

I have used one while setting it up for someone and now I want one even more!

???

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

I have used one while setting it up for someone and now I want one even more!

Was supposed to go in the surface book thread... Idk what happened there...

Was supposed to go in the surface book thread... Idk what happened there...

all good :)

I actually tried this earlier as well, didn't seem to help. I actually just updated windows right now, I doubt that's any help though. 

what about slimdrivers?

what about slimdrivers?

Nothings out dated.

are you sure your ssd's firmware is updated and set up properly? and you did set ahci before you formatted the drive?

EDIT: did you disable page file for ALL drives?

EDIT: does the processor have hyperthreading? if so disable it./,

EDIT:.........you don't have a bunch of different sound drivers installed?

EDIT: turn off all apps that auto update... that includes windows.

Yes I even tried updating the firmware on my ssd, (from the crucial site) and paging is active for my main drive. (the ssd, set to auto). I'm not sure what you mean by "you did set ahci before you formatted the drive?". I appreciate the help :)

- No my processor does not have hyperthreading.

- No I dont have a bunch of sound drivers installed, just latest realtek. (My computer is overall fairly clean/kept with drivers and updates.)

- What would be the reasoning to turn off auto updates? 

are you sure your ssd's firmware is updated and set up properly? and you did set ahci before you formatted the drive?

EDIT: did you disable page file for ALL drives?

EDIT: does the processor have hyperthreading? if so disable it./,

EDIT:.........you don't have a bunch of different sound drivers installed?

EDIT: turn off all apps that auto update... that includes windows.

Edited by J/C

in the BIOS / AHCI mode for ssd.  if you didn't you can google the fix. it'll take you to microsoft's site and they will show the registry fix.

all page filing should be off. you don't want anything reaching out to the HD's.  you should have enough system ram.

page file for main drive.......... your ssd is the main drive, no? why would you be booting to a platter drive?

in the BIOS / AHCI mode for ssd.  if you didn't you can google the fix. it'll take you to microsoft's site and they will show the registry fix.

all page filing should be off. you don't want anything reaching out to the HD's.  you should have enough system ram.

page file for main drive.......... your ssd is the main drive, no? why would you be booting to a platter drive?

- Yeah it is set as AHCI 

- I thought no matter the system ram you should still keep paging enabled just so windows itself can perform at its peak. (even if its not used.) I'd like to get your opinion on it though. 

i'm trying to eliminate possible problems that might have an effect on the performance. look in the device manager for sound drivers. have 3 or 4 different ones? do disable page file for now.

what wireless stuff do you have installed? and did you disable or uninstall drivers for those?

i'm trying to eliminate possible problems that might have an effect on the performance. look in the device manager for sound drivers. have 3 or 4 different ones? do disable page file for now.

what wireless stuff do you have installed? and did you disable or uninstall drivers for those?

- Yeah I have three Realtek High Def. Audio, NVIDIA High Def. Audio, and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

- I don't have any wireless adapters installed

before anything else go to WD website and look for firmware updates for the drive....... or any other "fixes".  and then look for a tool to do a test on it to see if it's acting up or bad.

and before i forget....... try a different sata cable and a different port on the board.

before anything else go to WD website and look for firmware updates for the drive....... or any other "fixes". and then look for a tool to do a test on it to see if it's acting up or bad.

and before i forget....... try a different sata cable and a different port on the board.

I'll try this soon. Also I don't know if you saw my post above but I found out that like my old gpu the usage drops when the stutter happens.

disable those other sound drivers ( whatever you're not using. )

Tried disabling the sound drivers didn't seem to help, can't seem to find any firmware updates for my drives. I did try using another port same problem occurred after while, and I just checked my caviar blue actually it says caution. But I've tried installing a game only on my ssd (this hdd unplugged still got the same issue) so I'm not sure if this could 100% be the issue.

up where it says the hd just tagged along............. you should have unplugged any other drives when installing the new opsys on the ssd.

did you set boot to ssd first, then maybe the dvd-rom second?

did you go into the drive that 8.1 was on and open windows explorer/windows and trying to name it something else ( windows1 ) for example. or just that unplugging drive.

when I run other old drives i usually install drive to be formatted and do everything the machine needs then hot swap the "extra" drives and reboot.

forgot to ask.......... you don't have raid enabled do you? that'll screw thins up.

up where it says the hd just tagged along............. you should have unplugged any other drives when installing the new opsys on the ssd.

did you set boot to ssd first, then maybe the dvd-rom second?

did you go into the drive that 8.1 was on and open windows explorer/windows and trying to name it something else ( windows1 ) for example. or just that unplugging drive.

when I run other old drives i usually install drive to be formatted and do everything the machine needs then hot swap the "extra" drives and reboot.

forgot to ask.......... you don't have raid enabled do you? that'll screw thins up.

Yeah I know I messed up, I'm thinking of trying a fresh install like that. Also ssd is first and my hdd is second, usb is third. Yeah I tried unplugging it as I stated above same issue occurred. Nope raid is not enabled. I'm also thinking this could be a bios problem because sometimes I've seen that the cpu usage randomly goes to 100 with no process supporting it. (doesn't show up in resource monitor or task manager) I've seen many forums saying that a bios update could fix this, Now I'm thinking thus could be the motherboard messing everything up. I'll most likely contact msi to see what the latest bios update for my motherboard is known to fix.

try a simple cmos reset then go back into the bios and redo settings. disconnect that other drive though.

have you scoured the motherboard updates and bios update pdf's to see what kind of fixes there are for various things?