Booting from USB on gigabyte motherboard

Tmt97

Has anyone found a way to do this? I bought a gigabyte motherboard for my build without realizing they are known for having problems when booting from a USB, and I planned to use Ubuntu. Unfortunately I don't really have anything I can use to write to a disk, so USB is my only option.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Has anyone found a way to do this? I bought a gigabyte motherboard for my build without realizing they are known for having problems when booting from a USB, and I planned to use Ubuntu. Unfortunately I don't really have anything I can use to write to a disk, so USB is my only option.

I have a few Gigabyte motherboards that have never had issues booting via USB. My guess is your BIOS/UEFI settings.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

I boot from USB all the time.

Plug USB drive in

open bios

select USB drive

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I boot from USB all the time.

Plug USB drive in

open bios

select USB drive

It doesn't show up as something I can boot from, and I know that its not the flash drive as I have booted Ubuntu onto two other computers with it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It doesn't show up as something I can boot from, and I know that its not the flash drive as I have booted Ubuntu onto two other computers with it.

Which mobo is that? My UD3H lists two USB options when I have bootable drive connected. One for legacy and other for UEFI. Only one works.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Which mobo is that? My UD3H lists two USB options when I have bootable drive connected. One for legacy and other for UEFI. Only one works.

Its a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P. Sorry if I sound a bit like a noob, but when I have booted from a flash drive in the past I only ever had to click F12 and then select it. On this motherboard if I do that with the flash drive and an empty hard drive to install Ubuntu on, it goes to a black screen and says "No boot device, press any key to reboot." How do I find these "UEFI" and "Legacy" options you speak of?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Its a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P. Sorry if I sound a bit like a noob, but when I have booted from a flash drive in the past I only ever had to click F12 and then select it. On this motherboard if I do that with the flash drive and an empty hard drive to install Ubuntu on, it goes to a black screen and says "No boot device, press any key to reboot." How do I find these "UEFI" and "Legacy" options you speak of?

Connect drive and boot into BIOS (press DEL on splash screeen). There set boot order so that your USB is first option. I think it doesn't recognize usb as boot device. There's also hotkey to get into boot queue but I don't remember if its F12 or something else.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Connect drive and boot into BIOS (press DEL on splash screeen). There set boot order so that your USB is first option. I think it doesn't recognize usb as boot device. There's also hotkey to get into boot queue but I don't remember if its F12 or something else.

It doesn't seem to even have USB as a boot option at all. The options for the boot order are UEFI first or Legacy first.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It doesn't seem to even have USB as a boot option at all. The options for the boot order are UEFI first or Legacy first.

Could you take pic with phone and post it? I know the listing is bit confusing and it lists every device except HDD/SSD twice. It should read UEFI:<code for USB>, LEGACY:<name of usb> etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv