Could I use a wireless router to pick up another wireless located in another room of my house?

Brownfield1995

I have AT&T U-Verse with the wireless modem. I also have a Buffalo Wireless G router. Could i plug the Buffalo into my desktop via ethernet and make it pick up the AT&T router and get internet that way?

Set up the other router as a booster on the same network, it's what places like hotels and people with huge houses do to get their wifi to spread over their houses. Wireless devices will switch automatically to the strongest one.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Set up the other router as a booster on the same network, it's what places like hotels and people with huge houses do to get their wifi to spread over their houses. Wireless devices will switch automatically to the strongest one.

So set the buffalo as a booster? how would i do that?

Do you have a wireless dongle or card in your PC?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

So set the buffalo as a booster? how would i do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwkWVDJOHQI

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Why not just set up your computer as a wifi router. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Do you have a wireless dongle or card in your PC?

Yes but its pretty bad, every one of my devices picks up the wifi from the other room but not my desktop it will get like a bar and then lose it, i have an adapter for wifi comming but i need to get it onto the web asap

Why not just set up your computer as a wifi router. 

i need a little more clairification please  

Also i dont want to have to run chords throughout my house thats why i asked if i can use the Buffalo to pick up the other wireless

To fix your problem you will have to use an Ethernet cable to move the Buffalo Wireless G router closer to your PC then to get a better signal, as it cant be used as a wireless relay system.

Connect a Ethernet  cable to port 1 on the AT&T U-Verse and then connect the other end to the WAN port on the Buffalo Wireless G router, then connect your pc to that wireless.

​Even if you don't have a long cable the signal might be better...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

i need a little more clairification please  

Just google wireless pc router and download one of the softwares and you should be able to make a wifi card in your computer turn into a wifi hotspot.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Yes, it should be possible to achieve what you want to do. The way it's done and terminology used varies a lot with the manufacturer/firmware of the router; however, basically you can either (1) connect the router to existing wifi and connect your desktop through ethernet to the router, or (2) connect the router to existing wifi and set it up to extend the signal, so you'll have a strong enough wireless connection to your desktop. I'll cautiously call (1) a wireless bridge and (2) a wireless access point, but... it's confusing (to me at least :P).

Since the process can vary so much, the first thing to do would be to log in to the buffalo router and see if you can find anywhere to alter the "wireless mode" or similar. You could also try googling the name of the router + wireless bridge/access point to see if anything comes up (router documentation is good if you can find it).

For more help, if you can tell us name/model of the router then we can see what we can do...

PS. This thread may be better suited in Hardware/Networking.

Type in your model number of your router + ddwrt in google.. if you find that your router is compatible with this firmware then yes, you can turn it into a wireless bridge. Otherwise, probably not.

I have AT&T U-Verse with the wireless modem. I also have a Buffalo Wireless G router. Could i plug the Buffalo into my desktop via ethernet and make it pick up the AT&T router and get internet that way?

Yes, it should be possible, i steal internet that way lol (when there are one unlocked at least...).

On my router, i just go to the router, under wireless settings and tick "Enable WDS Bridging", then, i go to the "Survey", do a refresh of the list of available connections, click "connect", save and reboot router, and I'm done. EDIT: And I'm not done, i forgot one thing, after all that, change IP address to the wireless connection (modem/router) address, with DNS and gateway. Also, you need to change router you connect trough to differ from source signal address ( just one number, for all IP and gateway/DNS, example, SOURCE: x.x.1.x YOUR: x.x.2.x)

Good way to steal internet if you ask me :D (bur so few unlocked connections here, damn, everyone lock it :( )

Naming scheme on your router can be different tho, but it is somewhere under wireless settings.