WIFI Slow, Cable Fast please help!

SuspiciousBadger

So in my neighbourhood everybody seems to be using a 2.4GHz router, meaning the moment everybody comes home from work the WIFI speeds are just insanely slow (From 20 megabits to 0,5 megabits). My parents don't want a long ass cable running from the router to my room. I can barely play any online games from 17:00 till 22:30 because of this issue (It goes up to 10 megabits round 22:30). My parents don't want 5 GHz router because it wont support our providers home phone thing.. So what should I do?

I had the same issue, i solved it by buying a powerling Adapter. It uses the electrical wiring in your houses walls as an ethernet cable. simply plug one end in near your router and run a cable from the router to the wall socket then near your console or pc plug the other adapter into a wall socket and run an ethernet cable from the socket to your pc or console. As i dont know the prices or availabilty of such devices in the netherlands i recommend going to your local pc shop and ask them about it.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<

I had the same issue, i solved it by buying a powerling Adapter. It uses the electrical wiring in your houses walls as an ethernet cable. simply plug one end in near your router and run a cable from the router to the wall socket then near your console or pc plug the other adapter into a wall socket and run an ethernet cable from the socket to your pc or console. As i dont know the prices or availabilty of such devices in the netherlands i recommend going to your local pc shop and ask them about it.

Okay will do. Can you recommend any I looked it up and there are so many :0. Can I also use my PC as an hotspot to have better speeds in my room and improve the signal in our attic.

Another solution for your problem, if for example you want to use wifi on your phone at higher speeds in your room would be just buying a range extender that sends out 5 ghz... you just connect to the extender instead of your router...

and your parents keep their 2.4 ghz router

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Okay will do. Can you recommend any I looked it up and there are so many :0. Can I also use my PC as an hotspot to have better speeds in my room and improve the signal in our attic.

Anything with a through put of 500mb/s should be fast enough, only recomendation would be to try and find one with 2 ethernet ports as most will only have the 1 (saves buying another adapter if you have more than one device that requires an ethernet connection)

In regards to the attic question, Im not the best with networking stuff so im not sure. But additional Powerline adapters can be bought as they only require the one access to the router... if that makes sense.

Another option as stated above me is to buy a range extender that converts to 5GHz. or if possible to move the router to a more central location. Have you thought about dual band routers that have 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

Again not knowing anything about the netherlands internet infastructure im not sure what the issue is with a 5GHZ router interupting the phone line?

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<

Powerline adapters are also going to limited by the quality of your house wiring. Also, it's possible a power surge can propagate up the ethernet cable to your modem/nic interface on your mobo so you might also want to consider filtering the cable with any reputable UPS/Surge-Protector as most modern brands have ethernet protection as well (in case you were wondering, the powerline adapter itself MUST be plugged directly into the wall socket.)

My house wiring is...older, so I get roughly 2MB/s on my basic TP-Link model on good days so sometimes I'll opt to use my $15 wifi usb adapter. Other than annoying Realtek software, it serves its purpose and will usually serve ~4.7MB/s on a 50Mbps line with a strong signal...going through 2 floors. But my router has dual 5dbi antennas and so does the adapter. The trick is to have a non-trolly sibling sit at the computer monitoring signal strength while you go slowly around your entire room -- positioning both antennas in various contorted positions...usually along the wall and pointed in the direction of the router until you get a strong signal.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν