Desktop Mic (not USB)

Mattie432
Go to solution Solved by Theo,

I see, so the XLR one needs a power source? Which is why the converter to 6.3mm may not work?

yeah XLR from what i remember needs phantom power ( its how its called ) and the 6.3mm will probably work, but the audio level will be very low is because it cant provide enough power to the mic. Phantom power provides 48v which the audio port cant do

Hi, im looking for a new desktop microphone.

I was looking at the AT2020 until i realised that it was USB. I would prefer a 6mm or 3.5mm jack instead, only trouble is i have been unable to find a similar one.

Does anyone know of some that may be appropriate?

Cheers
Matt

There are 2 versions of the at2020 one outputs usb, the other xlr , i personally would highly recommend the xlr version as it is cheaper and I personally much prefer the modular way of doing things. The link you linked is intact the xlr version, the usb version costs over £100 ;)

C

Intel

There are 2 versions of the at2020 one outputs usb, the other xlr , i personally would highly recommend the xlr version as it is cheaper and I personally much prefer the modular way of doing things. The link you linked is intact the xlr version, the usb version costs over £100 ;)

You need to get an audio interface as well for this to work though 

*edit* or get an XLR to quarter inch jack plug and then use an adapter to turn that into 3.5mm

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

*edit* or get an XLR to quarter inch jack plug and then use an adapter to turn that into 3.5mm

Ye, you will need a mixer then an adapter to output through 3.5mm. I have a very similar set-up to that and it cost me just over £170 to kit out with stand pop filter etc

C

Intel

Sweet. I didnt even notice that this link happend to be non usb.

So just get one similar to this and should be all good?

Why dont you want the usb one? I have it and it doesnt have any negatives, and that XLR to 3.5mm jack wont really work i think, or the recording will be able too quite and you  wont get the full potential of the mic

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Why dont you want the usb one? I have it and it doesnt have any negatives, and that XLR to 3.5mm jack wont really work i think, or the recording will be able too quite and you  wont get the full potential of the mic

I would simply prefer to input into the sound card rather than usb.

Also i would have 6.3mm jack.

I think i remember in one of linus resent videos that he said something about extensions/converters would reduce quality but not by a noticeable amount.

I would simply prefer to input into the sound card rather than usb.

Also i would have 6.3mm jack.

I think i remember in one of linus resent videos that he said something about extensions/converters would reduce quality but not by a noticeable amount.

If you're thinking of adding effects and things like that, its good for the soundcard, but the soundcard wont improve the audio quality from the mic.

But theres quite a bit difference of price between the usb and xlr, so you could get an XLR phantom power supply, and then use a 3.5mm out to your soundcard.

I was looking at all this a few months ago but in the end i couldnt bother with all the XLR phantom power and just having more stuff on my desk 

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

If you're thinking of adding effects and things like that, its good for the soundcard, but the soundcard wont improve the audio quality from the mic.

But theres quite a bit difference of price between the usb and xlr, so you could get an XLR phantom power supply, and then use a 3.5mm out to your soundcard.

I was looking at all this a few months ago but in the end i couldnt bother with all the XLR phantom power and just having more stuff on my desk 

I see, so the XLR one needs a power source? Which is why the converter to 6.3mm may not work?

yeah XLR from what i remember needs phantom power ( its how its called ) and the 6.3mm will probably work, but the audio level will be very low is because it cant provide enough power to the mic. Phantom power provides 48v which the audio port cant do

phantom power is required for condenser mics, dynamic mics can just just use an adapter cable to be used with a computer

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac