PCI-E 3.0 and PCI-E 3.0x16?

Go to solution Solved by Clear17Mud,

It doesn't matter you can use 3.0 x4 (2.0 x8) with no loss in performance.

On AMD cards I think nvidia needs x8 to run.

So, my motherboard lables some of its slots as PCI Express 3.0x16. Is there a significant difference between this and the regular 3.0 slot? I've been shopping for a graphics card, and some have their interface labled just "PCI Express 3.0" without the x16, and some lable it with it. What significance does that x16 make? I'm pretty sure I can still use a graphics card without the x16 and it will still work in the slot, but should I choose one with the x16 over one without, or will it not make a differnce?

So, my motherboard lables some of its slots as PCI Express 3.0x16. Is there a significant difference between this and the regular 3.0 slot? I've been shopping for a graphics card, and some have their interface labled just "PCI Express 3.0" without the x16, and some lable it with it. What significance does that x16 make? I'm pretty sure I can still use a graphics card without the x16 and it will still work in the slot, but should I choose one with the x16 over one without, or will it not make a differnce?

go with the one with the x16 im guessing the non x16 is an x8, not an expert but its still better to use an x16

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

PCIe 3.0 16x means this slot is directly connected to the CPU´s native PCIe lanes (on consumer grade mainboards it is usually slot 1) and should be used for your 3D accelerator in other word your GPU. Also PCIe 3.0 x16 has right now as Gen3 the highest bandwidth available.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

PCIe 3.0 16x means this slot is directly connected to the CPU´s native PCIe lanes (on consumer grade mainboards it is usually slot 1) and should be used for your 3D accelerator in other word your GPU. Also PCIe 3.0 x16 has right now as Gen3 the highest bandwidth available.

Not to hijack the topic but I have a similar question. Is it an issue to not use the 3.0x16 but the 3.0x8? The lower slot let's you see the back plate better. I know, completely superficial reason, but it also seems to stay cooler.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

What motherboard is it?

"PCIe 3.0" is just the generic term for all sizes, it could refer to anything, just depends on the motherboard.

Not to hijack the topic but I have a similar question. Is it an issue to not use the 3.0x16 but the 3.0x8? The lower slot let's you see the back plate better. I know, completely superficial reason, but it also seems to stay cooler.

No no, unless you do highend benchmarking and need PCIe x16 x16 the PCIe 3.0 x8 is fine because it equals to PCIe 2.0 x16 and that´s really all the bandwidth you need. Even a Fury X or a Titan won´t be able to use more. The performance loss from PCIe 3.0 x16 to x8 is marginally.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

It doesn't matter you can use 3.0 x4 (2.0 x8) with no loss in performance.

On AMD cards I think nvidia needs x8 to run.

It is as I said the first slot is a PCIe 3.0 x16. The second and third are mere PCI (not express) for soundcard of WiFi card and such. The fourth slot is PCIe 2.0 x16 which equals to PCIe 3.0 x8. And you could setup a CF with 2 AMD cards with it.