Faulty PSU?

no_clntrol

Got a new graphics card today and I've been playing for like 3 hours, mostly CSGO and Skyrim (GPU at like 50-60%) 40C. Launched Bioshock and the PC just flat out died after like 10 min of playing. CPU: AMD FX-4100 GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo PSU: AXP-500P12P. What could be the cause? Never happened before the new GPU so I am assuming that's gotta be part of the issue.

Is this the text below my post?

I'll be honest, they're a company I've never heard of before. The MBTF is "100000 sec" - just over a day. I don't trust this source very much though.

http://www.cnet.com/products/axp-simplepower-axp-500p12p-power-supply-500-watt/specs/

Looking at the company that manufactured it, I don't see many favourable reviews on their units, and that's just from retail stuff. I haven't seen anybody like JonnyGuru look at their stuff yet.

Yeah, I think it's the PSU. These reviews kinda sum it up for the company.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190028

JonnyGuru article on the 700w Xion:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=109

If you're getting a new one, can I recommend a nice XFX unit?

Sig under construction.

I'll be honest, they're a company I've never heard of before. The MBTF is "100000 sec" - just over a day. I don't trust this source very much though.

http://www.cnet.com/products/axp-simplepower-axp-500p12p-power-supply-500-watt/specs/

People on this forum have stated it's an older SuperFlower PSU, which supposedly is a high quality brand. MBTF?

People on this forum have stated it's an older SuperFlower PSU, which supposedly is a high quality brand. MBTF?

MTBF, my bad. Mean Time Between Failures.

Can you show me where they said that?

Also taking a look.

Sig under construction.

MTBF, my bad. Mean Time Between Failures.

Can you show me where they said that?

Also taking a look.

Old post of mine, can't remember which. Haha I actually had no clue how old it was, might  be time to upgrade. Googling a little bit tells me that heat can make it turn off, but doesn't that give you a BSOD or something? Mine died literally like the PSU was unplugged.

Old post of mine, can't remember which. Haha I actually had no clue how old it was, might  be time to upgrade. Googling a little bit tells me that heat can make it turn off, but doesn't that give you a BSOD or something? Mine died literally like the PSU was unplugged.

PSUs do spontaneously die. Hopefully it didn't take any of your system with it.

And they do shut off from heat - hopefully spontaneously and carefully - a BSOD would probably come from it failing to produce enough power, but still enough for the system to produce a BSOD.

Sig under construction.

PSUs do spontaneously die. Hopefully it didn't take any of your system with it.

And they do shut off from heat - hopefully spontaneously.

My system seems fine, I just restarted it and everything looks normal. Opened the case before though and the PSU was warm, but not like "hot", same with the GPU, it was running around 70C in Bioshock, which I do recall is not the limit.

Any PSUs you can recommend? I live in Sweden and everything's pretty expensive here, but I do have around 111$ on me right now.

My system seems fine, I just restarted it and everything looks normal. Opened the case before though and the PSU was warm, but not like "hot", same with the GPU, it was running around 70C in Bioshock, which I do recall is not the limit.

Any PSUs you can recommend? I live in Sweden and everything's pretty expensive here, but I do have around 111$ on me right now.

XFX TS series or XFX TS Gold series.Amazing PSUs for the buck.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

XFX TS series or XFX TS Gold series.Amazing PSUs for the buck.

Only XFX I can find here in Sweden is Pro Series and Pro Series P1, any other recommendations?

Only XFX I can find here in Sweden is Pro Series and Pro Series P1, any other recommendations?

Any EVGA G2 units that you can reasonably afford? I believe that those are pretty good.

Sig under construction.

Any EVGA G2 units that you can reasonably afford? I believe that those are pretty good.

The G2 650W fits my budget perfectly, and that should be enough for an i5 and GTX 970, amirite?