5930k running hot on idle?

So I have a 5930k at stock speeds for the moment cooled with a h110i gt aio

On my 4790k @ 4.8 on idol was around 23-28C and under load never got over 62C

I know the 5930k is a bigger chip and all but it idols at around 44-49C I have replied thermal past like a million times with the same result and the thermal spread is nice and even

Under load the 5930k never goes over 79C But I still think that is a bit high..

Am I paranoid or is something wrong?

Prolly, try to limit to only performing on one core and see the results.

Since it always uses all it's cores, theres no way that thing can stay at 50deg.

thats odd. 

i know the 5930k is a bit hotter but that seems out of the ordinary.

no idea.

but please say idle and not idol.

So I have a 5930k at stock speeds for the moment cooled with a h110i gt aio

On my 4790k @ 4.8 on idol was around 23-28C and under load never got over 62C

I know the 5930k is a bigger chip and all but it idols at around 44-49C I have replied thermal past like a million times with the same result and the thermal spread is nice and even

Under load the 5930k never goes over 79C But I still think that is a bit high..

As long as your load temperatures are fine, no need to worry. Edited by Godlygamer23

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I'd say that idling high. Is it down clocking using its C states ?

Check ur bios ensure C states are enabled.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Nope something is wrong, very wrong.

I have a 5820k running at 4.3Ghz@1.24v, my idle temps on a warm day are 29 - 33c, load running OCCT 65c, this is under a straight H110 with Noctua NF-14's.

What motherboard do you have, sometime fan profiles are set ridiculously low by default (mine is so low my fans won't spin till I adjust the fan curves.)

Someone on Overclock.net is also having the exact same problem when moving the cooler from one motherboard to another (has the H110i GT as well), has still hasn't worked out the issue.

One other thing you can try is carefully use you finger on the top of the pump and add a little more pressure, watch your idle temps if they go down the block isn't sitting flush, 4 small washers on the mounting bracket screws will fix that.

Nope something is wrong, very wrong.

I have a 5820k running at 4.3Ghz@1.24v, my idle temps on a warm day are 29 - 33c, load running OCCT 65c, this is under a straight H110 with Noctua NF-14's.

What motherboard do you have, sometime fan profiles are set ridiculously low by default (mine is so low my fans won't spin till I adjust the fan curves.)

Someone on Overclock.net is also having the exact same problem when moving the cooler from one motherboard to another (has the H110i GT as well), has still hasn't worked out the issue.

One other thing you can try is carefully use you finger on the top of the pump and add a little more pressure, watch your idle temps if they go down the block isn't sitting flush, 4 small washers on the mounting bracket screws will fix that.

I have the x99a msi mpower mobo

This is quite strange. My 5960X overclocked to 4.5Ghz idles at around 36-37C with the H110. Maybe see if your pump and fans are correctly powered by your board. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

This is quite strange. My 5960X overclocked to 4.5Ghz idles at around 36-37C with the H110. Maybe see if your pump and fans are correctly powered by your board.

Everything is plugged in correctly and the fans are as high as they can go.. I might just buy a "cheap" heatsink and use it while I rma the h110i gt

Everything is plugged in correctly and the fans are as high as they can go.. I might just buy a "cheap" heatsink and use it while I rma the h110i gt

Check the speed of the pump and the voltage being applied to your processor. If it is running at stock speed, it cold be that your board is simply applying  too much voltage. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Check the speed of the pump and the voltage being applied to your processor. If it is running at stock speed, it cold be that your board is simply applying too much voltage.

I'll check it out when I get home

Check the speed of the pump and the voltage being applied to your processor. If it is running at stock speed, it cold be that your board is simply applying  too much voltage. 

yea I gotta rma the cooler hopefully thats the issue 

• 6 years later...

So it might be a shot in the dark here after 5 years but I wonder if there is any corrilation between what I am having at the moment and your problem?

Did you found a sollution to your problem?